Effect of receiver size on audio quality?

Context:

I currently have Phonak Paradise 90s with the P receiver with a custom cshell. I was looking at the fitting ranges for the various receivers and I noticed that I appear to be well within the range for the medium receiver.

Is there a benefit to going down to a M receiver? I noticed from the receiver data sheet that the M receiver has a larger frequency range (<100 Hz ->8000hz) in comparison the P receiver (<100 Hz ->6300hz). The total harmonic distortion is slightly less on the more powerful receiver though.

Datasheet: https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonakpro/gc_hq/en/products_solutions/hearing_aid/audeo_paradise/documents/datasheet_audeo_paradise_312.pdf

1 Like

In my opinion the P is the right receiver for that hearing loss, especially the midrange loss you have.
The P also gives you a touch of room for more hearing loss if needed.

1 Like

My suspicion is that it doesn’t really matter. Using a M might give you a little battery life. As noted by others though, the P does give you more room for adjustment if your hearing loss worsens.

My hearing loss is well within the range of the M receiver … I have tried the P receivers thinking I might get better bass sound with them, however I don’t see any difference in the sound quality between them.

I would be happy to sell or trade my P2’s for a pair of M2 or 3’s

PM if interested

Ms are clearly appropriate for you. OP’s low frequency loss is more significant and there’s more of a case for Ps. If you want more bass, add more low frequency gain or consider a more closed fitting.

2 Likes

This is all really useful. Thank you all.