Earmolds working loose

I have been wearing Phonak over the ear aids with earmolds for about 5 months. Lately I have noticed the earmolds start working themselves out of the canal. I push thme back in place and in a few moments they are loose. Is this normal?

Have you lost quite a bit of weight over this time period? After I dropped 20 lbs mine got a bit loose (I know it sounds strange. My kids used to tease me that the only weight I lost was BETWEEN my ears :slight_smile:

No this isn’t normal. It is usually a jaw bone movement issue. You should be able to feel your jaw movement if you stuck your finger in your ear and move your mouth. It is typically due to this movement that the molds slip out of the ears. Either you need to have your molds remade, or get new ones made. In either case, I would recommend deep (beyond the 2nd bend of your ear canal) open-jaw and closed-jaw impressions to be sent to the lab. This will help them build you proper fitting earmolds that shouldn’t slip out of your ears any more.

1 Like

I have heavy feedback and sound quality lose because bad micromold.
My audi tell me to move jaw in all directions and, of course its not ok. When i dislocate/move my jaw full to right its ok, but normal or open its not. :frowning:

Of course, feedback limit measure cut hard volume of my right ear.

Its hard, because my audi did not tell me anything (like what option did we have (like silicon mould, that i have right to 3 remake) how to make things better) so i must find out myself.

BTW: same audi opposed changing in genie from tulip to moulds (after i get mould) and try to reach oticon targets
He thinks tha oticon use to loud and to tight compression…

So my question is - how can i make good earmoulds? Is silicon better for sealing jaw movements than acril? Minimal vent is must have (heavy oclusion and noise like being underwather because pressure). Until than, im using telfon tape to fix it.

of course you should remake them. I had customers after 6 months i needed to replace their silicon mould since their skin was soft and it got slightly bigger the new mould.
Acrylic is what is most;y used but if you have big hearing loss you need silicon. Razno you should not try to find answers your Audi should and his lab. Jaw movement is common to most of the people. The lab needs to be instructed by your Audi what happend with last earmoulds and what needs to be changed. Ok some times the ear has almost 0 bend but even then there are techniques to manage and get it to work.

Thanks you very much for your response.

They don’t know or won’t bother.
Let me say why i ask for help here… Because i come in to audi and say - people need to yell at me - in quiet room, i dont understand them… And they gave me no answer. No we will try this, let us try that. Simply, they will argue that its normal - and only to push up volume, but then we hit feedback… And no solution.

After i discover here and in oticon site about function in genie, i simply demanded change from to mould in program (That made new profile - oticon recommended setting) and put fb under meassure (because it squeeled like pig) that i start to understand peoples, tv and all others).

So after year and half i found out they simply screw up compression (loose it), lower 1khz+ and almost completely cuts off high over 4… before first fitting and didn’t respond to complaint about how unclear sound it is… Disaster - do that with high sophisticated HA…

That why i want to know how to do, and what to ask them to make.
Sorry about long storry, and my english…

So does oticon use and make mould from both open/closed jaw ear canal impressions?

ear molds should not slowly work themselves loose. They obviously don’t fit properly.

Several years ago I was wearing ITC aides that became loose which in turn caused feedback. My audiologist used “liquid skin” to make them snug again.

Dennis

We are in different places with different standards more likely. I would make you a Shore 45 silicone full shell mould, with neither your mouth wide open nor closed. It is not just one thing to do to make it a BAD earmould it is more likely many mistakes that can go wrong.

btw what hearing aids you are talking about? I saw another post with DUAL (since you are pretty young) I am not sure if the hearing aid is maxed out or not (never worked with Dual) but they should be able to make shoft micro-ear mould. I have done them in Audeo Smart SP, i am pretty sure all companies have a way… so you get better comfort and sealing your ear…

Hask12 i agree most of the times in the period of 6 months the ear changes shape a little bit, but it has occured to me to have an issue with the mould few time

dgbach for ITC and acrylic is easier to do it.

Yes, its Duals XV. Did you mean soft mold? That is silicon? I will ask for it when i ask for new molds.
Also, micro ear mold is different than micromolds?

I will try to get maximum seal possible with smallest posible vent.

Thanks for your time… :wink:

Molds will deteriorate over time, harden and possibly shrink, which is why they need to be replaced. Rarely does this happen within the first 6 months.

I had spoke with my audi and he say that his firm dont send impression to Oticon for micro mold and that his lab don’t do silicone mold.

Isn’t they responsibility to offer original Oticon products for that aid (Dulas)?

So i can - use hard mold but tone down a lot 1+khz like they used before (not oticon program recommendation). Also that way i don’t hear peoples in quiet environment well… shortly - to be deaf like they made me more then year.

Use hard mold with teflon tape and oticon defult programed aids - not very hygienic one.

Is there option to make my impressions here and send it somewhere to make soft molds? Witch one do you recommend?
I am i central Europe.

Thanks you.