Earmolds and Assistive Devices

Hello,

I’m getting M-70 soon. How can I know which earmolds I need? I will go to a Phonak company far away from my hometown (10 hours by bus) to have them and I need to make sure what to ask for.

Also, is there a way to program the hearing aids without Noahlink? Its cost is quite high!

Will I be able to connect the aids with my laptop through bluetooth? Or do I need a device for that?

P.S. Do you recommend that I buy Roger on to help me hear better in noisy places? Considering that its cost is insane (for me)!!!

Thank you!

1 Like

For programming the Noahlink Wireless is required.

As additional microphone you can also try the Phonak Partner Mic, which is not so expensive.

As mold for your bad ear i suggest a full shell mold in acrylic (more stable and cheaper to produce), or you could ask for a skeleton mold this is a bit more expensive because this neeeds more manual work, it gives more comfort but is also less stable and can break more easely.
You should ask upfront for prices and price differences of the molds. And ask for a venting hole
On the good ear you could try a slim tube and domes, or also a mold, depending on your preferences.

Mold types

the mold is connected via a clear silicon tubing to the hearing aids.
A mold is recommended for the bad ear. It woud be also possible for the good ear.
You definitly should ask for a small venting hole in the mold, especially for the good ear !
The tubing needs to be replaced regularly (every 2 or 3 month) that can be done by yourself. I can send you the stepps for the tube replacement.

For the good ear you could also go with a mold.

bte earmold hearing-aid-tubes are sold online or ask local

Alternatively you could mount a Phonak Slim Tube 4.0 on the HA for the side of your good ear , but for this you need to order the correct side and size of the Slim Tube 4.0, and then you need the correct domes. A dome needs to be placed on the SlimTube on the ear side.

Picture of a Phonak Slim Tube 4.0 for Right side and length 0 (shortest length)
slimtube 4.0
The Slim Tubes are available for Left/Right ears and in different lenghts , so you need to find out what length you need before the purchase.

This is a picture of a Phonak Slim Tube 4.0 for Left side and length 3 (longest length)

1 Like

The amount of venting required depends on the hearing loss.

Slim tubes really make it hard to provide sufficient high frequency gain.

1 Like

Isn’t the venting hole the same where the tube goes between the mold and the hearing aid or something different?

This sounds more complicated than I thought! Sorry if this sounds stupid but how can I know the length I need?

This is another complicated point I havne’t thought of! : D

Wouldn’t slim tubes do the job for my hearing loss in the right ear?

1 Like

I don’t know. What’s your hearing loss?

In this picture you can see the vent holes better , the orange color is the venting

The maker of the molds have to drill the vent holes inside the mold.

Zeza audiogram

2 Likes

I’d prefer not to put a slimtube on it, but if there is access to REM than you can confirm whether on not the slimtube is impacting provision of gain. If there’s no REM. . . I wouldn’t want to put a slimtube on it.

1 Like

Is there a BTE version of Phonak M70? I thought only RIC.

the Naida M70 is the BTE version, also the Sky M70

1 Like

What is the full name of the hearing aid you are getting? Is it the BTE version or the RIC version?

If BTE, is it Bolero or Naida?

If RIC, what is the receiver? Does it come with receivers?

Thank you!

I have never had a hearing test with my hearing aids! Welcome to Egypt!

[
Phonak Naida M70-SP.
You made me nervous now and I started to question myself whether I’m ready to go through all of that on my own! :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Off-topic: is there any kind of hearing loss that doesn’t require a venting hole in the earmold?

1 Like

There’s going to be some variability from person to person given differences in anatomy, but once your lows are at 60 dB HL you really only need a pressure vent (1mm or less) and once you get to 90 dB HL even a pressure vent becomes a bit questionable.

The vent is to reduce occlusion, but it’s not required. With pediatrics it is regularly the case that we cannot even fit a pressure vent into the mold and so they just have to grow up with occlusion. I had a patient once who thought that without a vent pressure would just build up until . . . something bad happened. I don’t actually know why the pressure vent is referred to as a “pressure” vent, because it is not relieving pressure.

1 Like

That model fits your hearing loss and being a BTE style, will be easier to get supplies for (tubes and hooks). Looks like you are all set.

Many here can help with Target software questions.

You got this!

1 Like

What do you think of these devices? Does any of them make a difference hearing a little bit better in noisy contexts?

1 Like

I have the Roger On In and it is fabulous when setup correctly (i can help with that). It is pricey. The In version has the “receivers” (software that will intall to your hearing aids). If you get the Roger On, and you don’t already have licenses installed in your hearing aids, the Roger On will not work.

If you are buying used hearing aids there is a chance it will come with receivers already installed.

Another option, cheaper than Roger On In, is the Roger MyLink. It is a t-coil neckloop that connects to the Roger On. There is a newer model called Roger Neckloop. I dont know for sure that they come with a Roger receiver. You may have to get a Roger x03 receiver and physically plug it into thr Mylink or Roger neckloop. X03 receivers are pretty cheap, used.

So, since Phonak doesn’t make this simple or easy, summary:

1. Roger On is good. Very helpful in noise. It must be set up well to work well

2. Roger Select probably good also.

3. Roger On In is a Roger On that comes with Roger receivers.

4. Must have Roger receivers for Roger ON to work. The receivers could come from a Roger In device, or could already be installed in used hearing aids, or could be in a Mylink or Roger Neckloop.

5. I think, but not sure, that the older Roger Pen 1.1 will also work. More certain the mylink and Roger pen work together. The Roger On is a refinement of the Roger Pen 1.1, but the Roger Pen is good also! Much cheaper, used. I will try to connect my Roger pen directly to my hearing aids and see how that works.

6. Roger On (and Roger Pen) come with a docking station/charger that can be used as your TV transmitter.

It looks like the Phonak Mylink and the Phonak Roger Neckloop have receivers.

I was told the hearing aids are new so I am not sure licenses are installed!! Is there a way to get these licenses in case the aids don’t have them?

Thank you!!

Ok, this was a lot to consume at once. I will read it again after having breakfast. : D

Thanks for the update! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am so impressed how you advocate for your self Zeza!

You are getting to know things I don’t begin to understand and I speak English

Great respect for you

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes