Earmold difficulty

The first hearing aid ordered was a ITC for the larger battery. What I got back was a CIC that fits like a ITC but the bottom part at the intertragic notch jutted out my ear and was painful. I assumed since my hearing aid has all the optional tech removed, they made an executive decision to use smaller base config.

In followup 3 months later, audiologist took one look and said it needed to be remade as it was too big. An IIC was ordered instead; if smaller battery is used, why not just go smaller? What I got back is an IIC that fits like a CIC with the bottom a little more deeply set. It hurts like hell (top part ~1cm in canal ) and throbs after some time in my ear canal. It also pops out/moves 1/2+ cm with little to no movement. I’m assuming it’s too small and is the reason why there is a ton of feedback; I never had feedback with the other one.

Are ear molds hard to make right or are my ears wrong for molds or something? Or is this audiologist or mfg issue? Why isn’t there communication when they send back something completely different than ordered? Would trying a different manufacturer help? If it matters these are oticon own.

1 Like

This sounds unusually bad to me. I’d try somebody else. Are you just getting one hearing aid? I don’t imagine one in the right ear would accomplish much. You might be happy with an open dome RIC. They are pretty inobtrusive and it shouldn’t be difficult to find a comfortable dome.

1 Like

Sorry, do you mean try different manufacturer? or audiologist?

I was thinking different audiologist.

1 Like

I was wondering why the audiologist didn’t take one look when they first arrived.

This is my first time trying to get a hearing aid so I don’t know what the process should be like. When I got the first one, she did check to make sure I inserted it correctly but there wasn’t a close inspection regarding fit; there was no look for the second one. Is there supposed to be a close inspection during fitting?

It seems the fitting process is trying to kick you out and make you wait until the next appointment to get feedback. I was told one adjusts to the aid. Rather than things getting better though, things get substantially worse until I end up not wearing the aid by the next appointment.

1 Like

I’ve been to some good Audis who are skilled and caring. They needed my feedback about pressure points on the earmolds in order to be helpful. But they were never dismissive, except for one who I never saw again. You may want to see a couple Audis for their input before choosing one if you have such an option in the future. You deserve better support. Be a little aggressive about articulating issues–better yet, make a list and show the Audi.

2 Likes

So I’m on another IIC (that still fits like CIC) hearing aid and it still works itself out, though much smaller distance, about 0.3 cm; is this… normal/acceptable? It even has “sticky coating” on it. I still getting feedback too.

My audiologist (same as before) wrote the manufacturer a paragraph describing my experience with the last one.

Also, they actually make my understanding of speech worse than unaided… but I’m assuming that’s gain issue and not physical fit?

Looking at your hearing loss, I don’t think any kind of in the ear hearing aid is going to work great. I think you’d do better with a RIC with an open dome. I think anything in the ear is going to have too occlusive a fit.

1 Like

Tried RIC today in office and it was horrible - extremely static-y to the point I had a hard time focusing on the person I was talking to. The pluses I had with the CIC/IIC of bass boost /3D-ness seemed to be lacking too. Not saying I can’t eventually acclimate to one but given that I had to choose a path today, I ended back with my IIC. Wish they could let me borrow it and I could do A/B comparison after my ear/brain adjusts. With the CIC/IIC, I get the static-y sound but it disappears within 5 mins.

The settings were upped… maybe we’ve given up on something that physically fits well.

I thought because my loss is “so mild” this would be easy.

I don’t know what to suggest other than trying another audiologist. The staticky sound with the RIC perplexes me.

Have you tried any over the counter hearing devices? Your hearing loss is pretty flat for the most part. These devices are also self adjusted.
Just might be worth a try.

This was a different audi. I went in and just explained the situation with my current hearing aid and her response was exactly like yours, RIC is probably better (why are you even on ITE); I didn’t bring it up :). Also fiddled around quite a bit with the settings to see if any of it would change the static sound, and though some helped, it was still significant.

On a plus for the previous audi, I actually did have lots of difficulty putting on the RIC with my long hair, two masks, and glasses. This plus my need to remove aid with one of my instruments, she did mention ITE would be better handling for me.

I wonder if the static is your hair,mask or glasses rubbing against the hearing aids?

I have not but I have been very curious. Since my loss/audiogram is actually not typical kind, Ive wondered if OTC may actually be better since I just need a flat small bass boost vs more finer adjustments. I also decline/turn off all extra settings. That’s why I thought getting a hearing aid would be incredibly easy. Sound systems have a bass boost button; that’s all I need :grin:!

They all seem to be sold in pairs and there’s still not much info/reviews to help select

That did happen (sudden louder) but no, i dont think so as it’s persistent. There was much more when I was in a bigger room vs in a small office, even though the small office had lots of device noises.

Audi said it was just receiver. Keep in mind I’m more sensitive to noise/sound and some of my 0s are probably better than 0.

Wonder if they were talking floor noise (noise the hearing aid makes) Are you wearing two hearing aids or just one in your left ear? Floor noise would definitely be an issue for your right ear. Could be in your left ear too.

1 Like

Wearing only on left.

Also, my issue is middle ear bones so once sound makes it past the middle ear, I actually have excellent hearing. Don’t know if that changes anything.

So sounds like a conductive loss. I don’t know if that makes one more susceptible to floor noise or not. Could be.

Have you considered a bone anchored hearing aid?

1 Like