Eargo 6 or 7 - Purchase on eBay

Has anyone purchased new or used Heargo hearing aids off eBay? Although it states explicitly on their website a warranty and/or support are not offered on non-authorized sales channels, has anyone been able to activate and get Eargo support?

I’m curious as I look into more discrete HA options and see them being sold for much less on eBay.

I currently have Phonak Paradise P90 and can’t get over being self conscious with them on.

I’d think that black blob in your ear canal would be much more noticeable and much less functional than your Phonak aids. I learned a long time ago when I first got aids that nobody notices that I wear hearing aids.

4 Likes

Everyone’s got different wants and needs right? They are comfortable after figuring the best fit after the first few days.

I’m MORE confident wearing them than my Phonaks.

1 Like

search on the forum for eargo 5 review, i wrote one up last year. same situation as yourself- phonak p90s and needed something more discreet. so bought eargo 5 off ebay.

you will be able to activate them/use them without any problems. you just download the app, do the insitu audio test and then it programs the aids. you can adjust basics afterwards - volume, treble, bass and set those changes to permanent.

what i found off ebay and the eargo units. the batteries are the only questionable thing about the units. i have one unit that goes into low battery after about 8 hours. so i end up doing a charge during the day. it is not an issue for me, as i frequently have to take them out anyway. but if i wanted perfect aid or to have them repaired, eargo would not do that. you are stuck.

would i buy another set again off ebay. yes. do i like the eargos, yes. i use them 90% of the time. everyday. they are much nicer for me than the 90s. i especially like the lack of ‘hair bristle’ or ‘wind bristle’ that you get with the 90s (or any bte aid since the mics are on the back). the invisible in the ear aids (eargo) use your natural ear shape to amplify/locate sounds. you are not relying on mics that are sitting behind or on top of your ears. very similar to the Lyric aids in that regard.

good luck

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear I’m not alone.

I assume you’re unable to take advantage of the remote support then right? I see value in them being able to fine tune them remotely.

that is right, you cant use them for remote support

Thanks for the info, i keep seeing Eargo hearing aids on eBay and i’m always scratching my head as to why they are selling them because i always assumed that only Eargo themsleves could program them.

I guess the app programming isn’t as advanced as let’s say Phonak Target, but it is what it is. I’m assuming when Eargo themselves program them it’s just the same as when you do it yourself via the app?, i.e they don’t have access to a more advanced programming software?

I will definitely keep a look out as sometimes they sell for a good price on auction.

No idea whether Eargo programs them differently than the app. They are basically just like any other OTC aid now, you use an app to do a sound test and program.
Still using mine daily. Even considering upgrading to the 7s.

1 Like

Even if you purchase direct from eargo I don’t think they program them at all. I believe it’s an in situ like many other aids like this.

Eargo will program them and have great support. What I have issues with is excessive ear wax and the Eargo 7’s do not have removable wax filters. After a month of Eargo’s cleaning instructions the plastic screen at speaker end clogged and I had to physically remove the screens which is not good. Eargo’s warranty says they will replace 3 aids total within the warranty period which I have already done.

My next pair will be from Ebay if I decide on another set. I currently switch between the Signia Silk IX7 and Eargo 7’s. Each are really good overall.

Yes and I returned them because they weren’t 1/10 as good as my Phonaks. Though their good in the OTC range.

Go get some Lyrics if you want to shell out out that $$$

How much is your hearing loss? If it is truly mild to moderate across the full range then OTC is an option, otherwise the boost maybe be inadequate and hearing/understanding ability less than prescription.