Ear wax removal DIY hydrogen peroxide

When Costco audi told me I needed some removed & she could not do it, she told me about a drug store kit I could buy to do it myself.

I tried it several times & went back for her to look several times and it was still there (one side).

So I went to YouTube and a Dr. had a video on using hydrogen peroxide (a common medical disinfectant when diluted) as a cleaner.

One try and wax was gone. Obviously stronger than the drug store stuff but works!

YMMV so just passing this along.

:slight_smile:

The nurse who cleaned my ear wax out last time said to dilute the hydrogen peroxide about 50% with water.

I tried the drug store recomended "Debrox’ used it for several days, it didn’t work. Went to an urgent care, they put a liquid, rinse the ear and then used some plastic instrument and pull out quite a bit of wax, it was a painful. I wonder if hydrogen would work with compacted ear wax? Thanks for the tip for next time.

— Updated —

I tried the drug store recomended "Debrox’ used it for several days, it didn’t work. Went to an urgent care, they put a liquid, rinse the ear and then used some plastic instrument and pull out quite a bit of wax, it was a painful. I wonder if hydrogen would work with compacted ear wax? Thanks for the tip for next time.

I think it’s worth a try. I did it 2 or 3 times & always got some out, one side, I believe it was pretty solid/compacted. Never stuck anything in the ear, just the little squeeze bottle to insert the peroxide & then to flush with warm water. You can hear/feel the bubbling cleansing action of the peroxide as it works. I would lay on my side & let it bubble for 2-4 minutes or until it stopped.

I go to my primary care doctor every six months for a check up. My doctor also checks my ears for wax and removes it if any is present. I have used the Debrox kit many times and it does work. I do like above, lay on my side and wait for the bubbling to stop. Then I fill the wash bulb with warm water and pace the tip of the bulb near the top or bottom of my ear canal. Then I press the bulb as hard as I can to get a high pressure stream so it can get behind the wax to force it out.

I’ve has an ENT doctor remove wax from my ears in the past and he used high pressure water. That hurts a little and makes me dizzy afterwards.

I use an eye dropper. One to two small drops of peroxide every other day. Listen for fizzing, popping, crackling, and done.

First of all as a nurse I recommend having a professional remove earwax. Ok so there is my professional spill now here is what works for my mom. We place a couple of drops of clear oil ( I use baby oil or olive oil but you can use any clear oil ) a day or so before we are going to clean out her ears. When I clean out her ears I use a solution of half peroxide and half warm water. Gently irrigate with a bulb syringe( like a baby snot sucker) if you have put the oil in a day or so ahead the wax should flush right out be cautious not to put to much pressure with the water solution as not the perferated the membrane. And never ever dig in the ear with any thing such as bobby pin or ink pen cap.

I guess I am a lucky camper, I have never had any issues with ear wax. I make sure to dry my ears after my shower, and I keep a look out for wax on my aids every night when I take them out. I very seldom have to replace my wax guards.

1 Like

Hydrogen Peroxide should always be diluted…whether it be with water or baking soda…
You are attacking your TM with a chemical, does nobody understand this and think that there are no physical repercussions from said cleaning?
I have seen many TM’s that have been hardened by excessive HP douchings…sparingly use HP, and not often.
A warm shower and a ball syringe works great, chemicals are for labs.
And if it’s hard wax/old wax, then see your ENT/AuD. for removal…they will ask you to use Debrox prior to your visit, but a warm shower and a ball syringe will work wonders in getting it loose…

Debrox should also be used sparingly. It contains Hydrogen Peroxide at 2.6% which is close to full strength over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide ( 3% ).

Plus Urea and H2O. Stick with the clear oil and warm water but still be careful.

1 Like

Personally I would not do it that often, it will vary depending on wax produced, I’m thinking 2 - 4 times a YEAR for me.

I have been searching for information on EAR WAX. This is a helpful post of tips I like. My normal routine when taking a shower is to run warm water on the outside of both ears for about 40-seconds. Having stated this seems to help me with a lot less wax drainage and seems to help me, I do try not to let the water go inside the EAR. If not, I’m fighting with water in the ear for a few days. I do use Mineral Oil, which is extremely helpful. I’m wondering about using Hydrogen Peroxide but wondering what the best ways would be to mix it, to not use it full strength, I hate picking at my ears.

This the only thibg that works for me. I’ve tried hydrogen peroxide, mineral oil, etc.

I swear by diluted Hyd.Peroxide (lie down, let it percolate) THEN flush ears with tepid tap water via a small rubber-bulb-syringe. I find it way better than any store product!

2 Likes

Got to love the recycling of a 10 year old thread……

Seriously though, watch how aggressive the chemicals are that you use. Since Covid and the drop in face to face appointments at GP surgeries, we’ve seen a definite rise in burns and canal kerotid delamination from excess use of oxidising products. The effects aren’t pretty and they all seem to itch like mad.

3 Likes

Time doesn’t change the world, this will stay until we humans are not alive anymore.

Vendors will always find there way to convince the people of buying their products, even if they are not harmless like peroxide and several branded types of them, or even sell cigarettes and not necessary drugs.

Anatomy and physiology of ears and nature will cause some problems for some of us. But most of the time the easiest solutions are the best.

If you must use this concoction, do keep a towel around so nothing seeps into your eyes.

My partner just went to an ENT because the Costco HCP noticed her ear drum was inflamed. The ENT said it was because of using too much Debrox which contains hydrogen peroxide. Her new ENT will now remove her earwax quarterly for a cheap price. Keep it diluted… I occasionally use it with qtips myself.

1 Like

I squirt warm water into each ear every night using a bulb syringe, on my audiologist’s advice. Now wax is pretty much a non-issue for me, whereas before my wax guards (completely exposed at the end of my earmolds) got filled constantly.