Ear protection, hearing aids, sweat

I use my Kirkland KS9 hearing aids extensively to listen to audio books.
While mowing the lawn, I need to put ear muffs on over them to reduce the sound of the mower and allow me to hear my book. However, in hot weather I sweat under the ear muffs, and before long I get a battery warning sound. Water vapor interrupts the battery power. If I take the batteries out, dry them off, and blow out the hearing aids, they work again.
Is there some kind of ear muff I can use that won’t cause as much sweating, so I can still listen to audiobooks while I mow?

$45 Tempo 30 earbuds come with occluding (sound isolating) eartips, IP70 ratings and 103 db sound… I use those whenever in sweaty times.

1 Like

Wrap them in plastic wrap

I hope that you know that you can reduce the sound coming through the microphone, and increase the sound of streaming via bluetooth.
You can do this in the app
or
on the hearing aid, when you press the top button. Press repeatedly until the beeping sound changes.

Then it is easier to listen to the sound that we are streaming, but it depends on the extent of the hearing loss.
Try to additionally wrap the ear protector with some cotton fabric, so that it lets air in a little so that the ear sweats less, but it will not block the noise completely, but I think there will be less sweating.

2 Likes

With all due respect, and not to rain on any parades, I’d think there’s a greater degree of risk operating machinery that can severely injure limbs while being distracted, particularly if you’re walking with the mower. It might be less dangerous on a riding mower, but still a distraction.

Case in point — Last week I took a painful tumble while walking listening to satellite radio via bluetooth to my hearing aids. I’d been walking to the far right on a paved path that gets lots of bike traffic, Why? Because I couldn’t hear them coming or their called out alerts to me. Fast forward to an adjacent path and, distracted by a song and still walking to the far right, I missed my footing on the trail’s edge and went over. ipso, facto, ergo kumquat, distracted mowing may not be in your best interest.

That said, just be careful.

3 Likes

I’m interested.
Following the responses here.

I work in construction. I’m trying to balance need-to-hear for my safety, with hearing protection so I don’t become more hard of hearing.

DaveL

I use Ear Gear. i sweat profusely and these help a great deal. I never get battery warnings any more. I have two sets that I swap out routinely for washing. I wear them all the time.

1 Like

You asked this in another thread and we all said no.

It’s acoustically transparent.

I might have missed your reply but thanks for replying here

1 Like

Only downside to Ear Gear is the are bulky as anything.

My ears stick out.

It’s not sold here and it’s expensive to order from ebay to my country. So not an option for me.
I’m trying to save some money for a Noahlink wireless

1 Like

Did you find something to wear?

My HAs stick quite hard against my head due to how much space I have and used to use Super Seals but they were discontinued and I’ve never found Ear Gear to be as good Altho I have some as that’s the only option from what I’ve worked out.

1 Like