Ear Mold Vs Domes for Hearing Aids for Otosclerosis in R. ear and SSHL in left/Costco vs. private

Hi,
About 10 years ago, I got an open fit Oticon hearing aid for my right ear, which now has moderate to severe hearing loss due to otosclerosis. I wasn’t very happy with it, and was told by someone on the forum that an ear mold would be better than a dome. Later, I refitted another hearing aid with an ear mold and it did indeed work better for my right ear. Unfortunately, I had sudden sensorineural hearing loss in my left ear as of about six weeks ago. I got steroids, oral and injections, and they helped some. Still, my left ear had been my good ear because I got a stapedectomy on that ear many years ago. Now I have sloping hearing loss that’s severe to profound in the 6000 to 8000 levels, and I have a difficult time with speech clarity.
I saw an audiologist at my ENT’s and she didn’t think I needed molds as long as feedback was reduced with domes. I also saw an audiologist at Costco who said the molds would be fine. Her audiogram seemed to use best practices (recorded voice), while the audiologist at my ENT read the words for the WRS. It will cost a few thousand more to get my hearing aids through the ENT office. The audiologist there says it’s worth it because of my complex hearing picture, but I’m not sure!
I guess my questions are:
1. Do you think getting molds if you have otosclerosis is important?
2. Are Costco’s Jabra Pro 10’s a premium level aid?
3. Have you been happy with Costco vs. private hearing aid dispenser?
Sorry for the long read, and thank you!

1 Like
  1. There is nothing intrinsically indicative about otosclerosis that an earmold is required. Typically we will recommend earmolds for better retention, insertion, and feedback management. However, they will also allow for much better bass response, which will help with perceived volume. There is no wrong answer related to otosclerosis itself, but there are advantages and disadvantages of domes versus earmolds. I say if you can tolerate earmolds, get earmolds.
  2. The Enhance Pro 10 is GN Jabra’s Costco-only device. As far as whether it is a premium-level device similar to premium-level Resounds, the answer is no. Resound is GN’s primary hearing aid arm, and I would go with a premium-level Resound device every time over whatever level the Jabra Enhance Pro 10 is. This is largely due to adjustable features and frequency response. The clinical assumption with Jabra and other OTC or OTC-adjacent devices is that the user needs little to no assistance with fine tuning outside of app-based equalization. Could you benefit from Jabra devices? Yes. Are they the best option? No.
  3. I have heard good and bad things about Costco hearing aids and hearing aid dispensers. I think that building a good relationship with the HCP you are working with will be most important, and that can certainly happen at Costco. However, in general I think you will find most private clinics (in proximity-competition with Costco) will try harder with quality of care because they can’t really compete with pricing.

To the best of my knowledge, the Jabra Enhance Pro 10 is very similar to the Resound Omnia 9. There is much discussion on the forum about this. They are not OTC.

4 Likes

You are completely incorrect about Jabra aids at Costco. The Jabra Enhance Pro PM 10 is identical to the ReSound Omnia 9, but tinnitus management isn’t supported. It is not an OTC device.

And with regard to item 3 in your list, my fitter at Costco is a hearing aid wearer and does an excellent job. She’s just as committed to the job and quality care as the PhD Audi I went to when I first started wearing aids.

I certainly wouldn’t want to spend $4,000 or more above and beyond Costco pricing with someone who states incorrect facts and has such a poor opinion of worthy competition.

4 Likes

Hi Jay, thank you for the clarification. Jabra must have come out with something more recently that GN had not informed us about. Most of Jabra’s offerings, including at least their initial Enhance devices, were described to us as a form of OTC.

I apologize if I offended with my comments about Costco. My main point was about building a relationship with the provider, and I tried to be clear that patients can have really good experiences at Costco. My last point there was not me saying I think Costco itself is not good. My point is that every private practice or dispensing ENT office is trying to improve quality of care so they can better compete with Costco.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. The Jabra Enhance Pro devices at Costco are full on programmable hearing aid. Jabra only recently announced OTC earbud devices that, to my knowledge, aren’t yet available at Costco.

1 Like

I am surprised you were told that. Costco hasn’t sold otc until recently (also a jabra but a different model).

As to the relationship - I agree it is very important. And I think it’s hit or miss wherever you go. My first stop was a recommended Audi that was horrible (for me). My second stop at Costco and I connected with a HIS that is amazing.

Honestly, I always suggest Costco first due to price and the 6 month return. When all is said and done I think I’d prefer the oticon aids, but not for an additional 4k, so I’m very happy with mine.

3 Likes