Dryer for rechargeable hearing aids

I know from past experience that moisture can totally ruin hearing aids. Mine were battery operated. My attempts and the dryer I was using were not enough. I have rechargeables now and a desiccant in the charging case. I manually dry the aids before putting them in the case. I live in Florida…high heat and humidity, heavy perspiration. Any suggestions besides staying inside??

1 Like

PerfectDry Lux is what others have said on here a lot, from looking at other posts.

5 Likes

That’s what I’ve used for at least 5 years (on Costco KS7 and now KS10, rechargeable aids). I bought it from Costco. It works.

5 Likes

I have the same problem with sweat and humidity. I use 2 things. The PerfectDry Lux to dry them out. But they still would conk out when I sweat. I put on a set of hearing aid sweat socks, basically little covers for the HAs that I got off Amazon. Since I have started using the sweat socks, I have had zero issues. I still use the PerfectDry Lux when I have sweat with the HAs.

The last time my AuD dried my aids he still pulled out 4.3 micro liters of moisture. That, in addition to the performance issues, is what convinced me to try the sweat socks.

3 Likes

How is sound quality when wearing hearing aid sweat socks?

2 Likes

Have a google as to what officially is said as we only offer real life experience.

@eyesgreendeaf

3 Likes

This is good to know. I bought a desiccant just in case, but also got sweatbands. I live in Phoenix, AZ and it’s impossible to spend any time outdoors without sweating profusely right now.

1 Like

I use a product called EarGear which are basically little socks. There is no noticeable change in sound quality. Definitely make a difference with sweating and high humidity situatioins.

3 Likes

I also use the Perfect Dry Lux, along with the Ear Gear socks. It works great. However, with rechargeables, it will require time in both the charger and in the Lux, which is certainly going to be inconvenient. I’m picking up my first pair of rechargeables this Thursday so I don’t yet know how I will manage it.

3 Likes

As all may know, rechargeable aids require a lower temp. dryer than battery aids. Apparently this is pretty important.
Signia has a combo recharargeable recharger/dryer that does both at the same time. But it’s ridiculously expensive. Now I recharge my aids before bed and that put them in a Hal-Hen mini dry dessicant jar.

1 Like

Do you know what the temperature requirement is for rechargeable hearing aids?

Not off hand—90%? But it’s well below the standard drying temps for battery aids. The battery door on these last allows for less heat build up, or soemthing. I have a battery aid dryer and it’s too hot to use for my new rechargeables.

1 Like

I have also used the PerfectDry Lux for both battery and rechargeable aids for a couple years now - no prob! I bought mine at Amazon, and the description says it is a safe temp for rechargeables, too. I drop my aids in them after any kind of exercise that gets me sweating.

I have been using the EarGear “socks” on my aids for YEARS now, but only when I go to the salon. Keeps the hair dye from slathering all over the AIDS - doh. However, those socks get soaked with dye, and they are yucky when I take my aids OUT and then put them back IN when the dye is being rinsed out. Altogether, hearing aids + glasses + hair salon are a total non-starter for anyone’s day, lol. :neutral_face:

The EarGear socks don’t impede sound that much, altho things will be just a tiny bit muted. The biggest issue I have with them is that you can’t easily change PROGRAMS in your aids, cuz now they are covered in this sock. I’ll press kinda sorta where the buttons are, but sometimes I hit volume and sometimes program. Yeah. Like I said, non-starter for the day fussing with these things. But they have to be worn when going to the salon.

Sound seems the same.

1 Like

Toss the HAs in the dryer while you get ready in the morning.

1 Like

That’s a good idea but I would rather dry them first before letting them sit all night on the charger. I feel that letting them sit allows gunk to solidify and I would rather get it to evaporate before that happens. Just my opinion. I could be nuts…

I have installed my HA recharger in the same cupboard as our electric hot water cylinder (heater). The cupboard is warm and dry so as the HAs recharge overnight, they also dry out.
This has worked OK for the past 2 years.

Okay, I have to ask… how often do you change your socks? :laughing:

I agree.

:slight_smile:

I use Dry and Store Breeze, the only downside is it’s a 6-8 hour cycle. (Overnight) My Phonak aids used to go back for servicing every year. They repeatedly came back with a moisture report. Since using the Breeze my Resound aid has not required to go for servicing yet. I put it down the the dry box use every night. As Resound aids don’t have the same high IP as Phonak does.

1 Like