Dry sinuses when wearing new earmolds

Hello! I was recently fitted through the VA with Phonak Audeo Life Hearing Aids with Phonak earmolds. My previous hearing aids were the Starkey Livio 1200 with domes. I purchased the Starkeys on my own before being accepted in the VA.

When I wear the new Phonaks with the earmolds, my sinuses dry up fairly quickly, and I feel like I have a head cold. When I take the Phonaks off, my sinuses return to normal in about 45 minutes. Nasal spray offers a temporary relief, but I don’t want to have to carry nasal spray with me all the time.

I’ve been back to the VA once with the problem, and the audiologist made the holes bigger. She wanted me to give that a try and go from there. Today I am wearing the old Starkeys with the domes and having no problems. I’m OK with my voice sounding different, but this dry sinuses is too much.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how they over came it. I really want to make the earmolds work as my hearing is so much better compared to the domes. I thought maybe I might be allergic to them, but I’ve never had any allergies in my life.

Thanks!

Well you are starting me to consider if what I have thought to be allergy issues that I have year round could be my hearing aid ear molds. I have been wearing hearing aids for about 20 years now and I have either worn ITE aids are hearing aids with custom ear molds. And yes I have had what I believe to be allergies the whole time. If you wish to know most of that 20 years I have worn Oticon aids, but I have at one time or the other trialed ever brand of hearing aids that the VA has offered.

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple ideas. But to gether information to think about it, what are the materials the surfaces of which the molds are made? I’m guessing acrylic.

One branch of the trigeminal nerve goes to the cheek, which might also affect the sinuses beneath. Maybe the pressure from the mold affects some people this way? I know that I had a piercing in one ear for migraine headaches, and it had a dramatic impact on my headaches. There isn’t any research into how it (or if it) works, but one theory is a change to the trigeminal nerve.

hth

WH

For me I have had mostly ITE aids, which are I believe a form of plastic shell, and until my Real aids the ear molds have been acrilic, but the Real aids have a different ear mold made of a material that is hard but softens up in the ear canal for a better fit… over the years I have had very large vents to the present day minimal vent.

Different materials, but they have all instigated a similar impact?

I know at least one brand makes their in ear customs with a metal shell. I wonder if that would change things.

WH

In case pressure on the nerve is indeed the culprit, I’ll mention the super-soft silicone molds I got recently, in place of regular soft silicone molds I was using before. They are amazingly comfortable. The regular soft molds gave me aches that would come and go, in varying parts of my ear, that I attributed to pressure on the cartilage. The super-soft molds are made by the same company, from the same impression, and they’re such a relief.

1 Like

Do you have your audiogram to share?
Your hearing loss dictates the need for ear molds or not.
If you hear we’ll with the Starkey aids with domes I am curious if you really need ear molds on the Phonaks.

I recently got these ear molds, Starkey makes them here in the UK… (the aids are, Phonak Naida Lumity UP’s) The molds are made from soft acrylic, I tried them because I have an allergy to Silicone, these are ultra comfortable, so much so, I asked for a spare set… They might be an option? Then again if you aids are RIC’s they might not… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

This is interesting. As the ear canal where the domes are is no way connected to sinuses or even the eustachian tube. Different molds may convey a stuffiness because of degree of occlusion effect. Similarly the materials and design can feel different. But none of these would effect regulation of the sinuses. An allergic reaction to some materials is unlikely, but at least more likely, as well as to a common disinfecting agent like chlorohexadin.

You audiologist should be your first point of contact for getting this resolved.

I met with the audiologist this past Friday. She is having a new set made of silicone with the idea I had an allergy to the first set. I should have asked what material was used in the first set. The new earmolds will take a couple weeks or so. In the mean time, she put domes on.

I am hoping the silicone is the solution as the earmolds were far superior to the domes. I could literally hear everything with the earmolds.

I will have to get an audiogram to share. I know started with a moderate to severe hearing loss, but my left ear showed more hearing loss during the last test in January.

I will update once I have the new ear molds.

1 Like