Don’t understand this response from my NHS hearing aid centre?

Hi I recently emailed my hearing aid centre and they sent this response below

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, there are no plans to move to a rechargeable option, the current manufacturer did not upgrade their CROS along with the rest of the hearing aid range and so we have been exploring other manufacturers at the moment we do not have anything we can offer patients, but we are hoping to resolve this shortly.

BW,
Kelly

What I don’t get is what they mean when they are saying the current manufacturer did not upgrade their CROS along with the rest of the hearing aid range? Do they mean who they get there hearing aids made for the nhs from or Phonak? Because Phonak have obviously just released the Lumity CROS. Don’t know if i need to get them to clarify more what they mean? Also i really hope that t nothing goes wrong with my current CROS aids as it sounds to me like they don’t have any options for CROS aids at the moment.

I’m just curious because I’m trying to decide on what to do about if i should go for the funding for the Lumity CROS but don’t know how much information i need to get from the hospital first. Any help with trying to understand what they possibly mean and if i need to get them to clarify more I would be grateful.

1 Like

I am interpreting the NHS response as, they (The NHS) have no plans to buy in “The Rechargeable CROS”, as they will only buy in a disposable battery option, if their only option is Rechargeable, they won’t change their policy for Phonak… I think this is a long standing decision the NHS has made, they only exceptions they make on this policy, is for paediatrics or preschool age, in case they swallow a battery… I would imagine their disposable battery only policy, is because of longevity issues, with rechargeable hearing aids, the batteries are going to start to degrade after maybe 18 months or so, between 2 and 3 years the batteries might need to be replaced, and that would take up time & resources, and as we all know, time is money, the NHS will have several hundred thousand hearing aid clients, they don’t have the infrastructure to cope with them all coming back to get new rechargeable batteries, plus seeing new clients simultaneously… They might buy out-with the NHS catalog, for the very odd client, with severe dexterity issues, but that would be at the discretion of the local A.uD, but I would imagine that is an extremely rare occurrence? Good Luck @LRav…Hopefully you will get some funding. Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

@kevels55
Not sure that’s the reason. In my NHS trust, they offered me both versions of the Nathos Nova (312 or rechargeable). My guess is that the NHS haven’t precured an NHS version from Phonak for Paradise or Lumity, and are currently sticking with their Marvel variants?
Peter

1 Like

@kevels55

@LRav

@PeterH

The Phonak CROS Rechargeable is really poor and doesn’t last the whole day even with no Bluetooth.

I read the message as they aren’t getting Phonak CROS in but are looking at getting another manufacturer in of CROS.

3 Likes

Interesting Peter, it’s really a “Postcode Lottery”, and every NHS Trust procurement policy appears to differ? I think ultimately, it is down to the “Local A.uD’s” or perhaps local policy? I agree, they will not buy in Lumity, until a year or 2 down the line, the number crunchers wouldn’t approve… Even though, with the buying power of the NHS, they probably buy in at about a tenth of the high street price, or maybe less than this… Thank you for your input, cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55

The fitting range of the Nathos Nova is the 312 battery version has less power, then the rechargeable Nova has more power and then it’s the Naida M70 SP or Naida P70 UP, depending on power requirements.

Some people will have to be given the rechargeable Nova from what I’ve been told.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for that inside information Ruth :grin:

@Zebras @kevels55 @PeterH thank you for this i think i might try for the funding and see if i can get my doctors support for the application. In the mean time i just hope that nothing goes wrong with my current cros as i feel like they are currently not supplying any cros aid’s at my hearing aid centre

1 Like

@LRav

I would apply for funding to get private hearing aids anyway.

You can have NHS HAs as well.

1 Like

The battery performance of the rechargeable Phonak CROS has been a struggle for a while. It was a known issue with Lumity, but the ‘Primary’ device on the CROS is carrying more traffic.

I can see why the NHS wouldn’t carry it: it fails one of their basic specifications for a hearing aid to work all day without intervention.

3 Likes

The battery version of Nova has Telecoil, the Recharegeable don’t. I was offered Rechargeable, but chose battery. I didn’t realise they had different power ratings

Yes the rechargeable one has more power.

It’s the equivalent of the P power, I was told.

The 312 Nova is M, rechargeable is P and then the Naida M70 SP and Naida P70 UP.

M, P, SP and UP on the NHS :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PeterH

Noticed the Naida Lumity PR also doesn’t have telecoil.

Naida PR covers from mild in BTE form. The Naida UP covers to 120 dB profound in BTE form.

Not too sure on the Audeo range.

Does seem people are getting less choice in what they want from Phonak.

The Nathos Nova PR is also named PR. P for power and R for rechargeable.

1 Like

I’m seeing Nathos Novas on ebay now, and currently a set of Bolero M’s (Marvel??). I don’t need any now, but I could have saved a lot of money :slight_smile:

1 Like