Domes backing out

Nothing that goes in your ear should be exempt from being clean. That goes for domes or molds.

i just tired molds today and OMG its big different although i miss the natural sounds that i used to hear but now the sound quality are much better the only complain that i feel like some thing blocking my ears but this feeling should go away once i get used to it as my adu said

btw i used to clean domes like crazy every evening and morning when i fit them in and still my ears got so sensitive as my adu told me today so cross fingers the molds will be better

From day one, following a regiment of cleaning the domes and earsā€¦thatā€™s not the problem.

With these ā€˜tailsā€™ on the domes, they are perhaps better, but not much. The tails also tend to stick out of my ears. Suppose to wrap in the outer ear, but are popping out. Went to take them out, and looked in the mirror, looked like antennas sticky out. Doesnā€™t make this old man look impressive.

jcummins - if youā€™re talking about what I think my audi calls sports locks (and I call whiskers), when I trialed the Widex, that audi cut them a little shorter so that they did fit in the bowl of my ear. I now have them on my Trax and shortened them myself.

They may be. But itā€™s probably a mute point, since itā€™s not working well enough. Iā€™ll be talking custom molds next visit.

Body heat should mold them to your ear shape. I have had them replaced a few times and they have been put on in reverse, so they NEVER fit. I have had to take them back and have them changed.

Tried the domes, every size, they barely worked. Had a finger in my ears all day.

Tried the custom molds without the locks. They did not work. Constantly putting them back in. Finally just quit wearing them until my new molds came.

Tried the custom molds with the lock. They work not too bad. Adjust a couple times per hour now as opposed to every few minutes. Probably the best I can expect.

Apparently, my ear canals are straight. No curves. They said this is unusual and is the cause of all the fitting issues.

The molds do fill up my ear and I know they are there for sure. Occlusion is the term I think. They put in the largest vent possible. Im considering filing the vent out a bit more but am a bit worried I may mess something up.

The domes, when in place were great. Very comfortable.

One thing I like about the molds is they stay in my ears and Iā€™m not so worried about losing them anymore.

My ā€œmoldsā€ have always been custom fitted. They are also (think I am using the term correctly) ā€œopen fitā€. That means I still get the low sounds passing thru ad donā€™t get that blocked up feeling. It also allows me to wear a BlueTooth headset - which I dis for years before getting my HA.

if people knew what they were doing they would not be giving up so quickly.

It actually seems they are getting worse, even with the locks. They just slide out that certain amount. Last night I was watching TV, with laptop in my lap, really not listening to the TV, but knew what was going on. I heard a squeal in my right earā€¦pushed them it and it was very noticeable how much better I was hearing TV at that point.

Soā€¦going to take a heck of a callous to keep them in. Seems their normal position is eased out just a little that takes the edge out of my hearing.

Ask them about molds with ear locks. Mine stay in place where the domes always needed some adjusting. $40/each, no wax guards, easy cleaning.

Definitely on my list.

Are you saying that eventually a callous will develop that will hold them in?

Iā€™m having the same problem. The audi gave me bigger domes today. The problem has lessened, but is pretty much guaranteed whenever I eat, the chewing motion works them out. I too am cleaning them every day with a paper towel, just as you told me to. If this will get better with time, I can be patient.

this quick to custom mold decision is insane, if people knew what they were doing they would not be giving up so quickly.

Remember my friend, we donā€™t know what weā€™re doing. Thatā€™s why weā€™re here, to get guidance from good people like yourself. Not insane, just uninformed.:wink:

1 Like

This is the natural mechanism of a normal ear trying to rid itself of wax and foreign bodies. Unfortunately it works against hearing aids. Work with your Audi to find a solution that works for you - different domes/molds/different brand. I found that the resound domes were quite a bit stiffer and springy and they worked their way out especially in my right ear. Phonak domes work much better for me. Some people on this forum have used different brand domes on their HAs. Check out all your options with your Audi. I also found that new domes were better than older domes so I donā€™t think it gets better with time. Your ears may get a bit tougher and less aware of the annoyance of something in them but that does not mean a physical callous to hold the domes in.

doms just not made for me my ears get irritated easily with them i end it up with pain and sore ears , molds are not bad so far but dont expect to get them right form the first try this is my second mold and still they are lose so this week another try cross fingers it will be the last

no, callous will get rid of any discomfort or pain from having something rub against your ear canal wall.

Oh. Well, actually, the only discomfort I am experiencing is not from the aid but from my finger constantly adjusting the thing.

you may need even bigger domes. the aids should almost be able to hang from your domes. this could also be a problem with the wire length. they come in many different lengths. your domes should not be moving at all in your ears as their job is to point the receiver straight down your ear canal. if the domes do not work they have other styles

I have closed domes, and Iā€™m pretty sure he said they were 10mm. From reading these forums it seems to me that open or closed actually changes the sound you hear, is that correct? I was thinking of trying the Tulip style, as I thought someone else mentioned that tulips helped keep theirs in. My audi never discussed dome styles, the whys and what fors, I guess Iā€™ll have to bring it up to him on Monday.

this is actually a very serious issue as going to custom molds is something that should be done as a last resort. it forces you to hear the world almost exclusively through the hearing aids which is a really bad thing. this kind of thing should only be for those with a severe loss. but here we have people voluntarily making themselves more handicapped than they already are.

Thatā€™s interesting. Are closed domes, or double closed domes, not doing the same thing? And does ā€œventingā€ a custom mold help this situation at all?

I have Phonak Slim Tip custom molds and once I got used to them I donā€™t notice any difference from the open domes. These custom molds are vented just not as much as my domes were. I couldnā€™t find domes that fit properly so switched to these. I have not looked back. I got really tired of pushing my open domes back into my ear.

Just use a little touch of super glue. Never fall out again!

What an idea. Iā€™m getting to that point. I swear, my ear canals have enlarged. These are 10mm domes and they ease out like they are greased, after theyā€™ve been in for awhile.

Iā€™m having more trouble with my right ear, and Iā€™ve noticed, the dome looks a little deformed, as compared to the left one. Think the shape of the right ear canal isnā€™t tolerating the dome.