Domes backing out

That’s a good question. My HIS made the impression, squirting “New and Improved Yellow Stuff” in my ear (I read the label on the tube:)).
Once he pulled the Yellow Stuff out of my ears he stuck it in a little box and mailed it off. So I have no idea who made them. He does like to boast about having all of the tools to correct and modify them, so I am counting on him to make this right. I just hope it can be made right.

Regardless, stick with it until they are correct. They should keep trying until you are satisfied and at no additional cost, even if it means making new impressions.

He doesn’t charge for extras, which is one of the reasons I like this guy so much. No charge for the molds in the first place.

Spend the time, get it right, don’t give in. When they are right, you will know and you’ll be happy with the result.

I sure hope so. It certainly has corrected the problem of the receivers backing out, but I’m not sure at this point which I like better. The pain is not as excruciating today, but it is still very painful to smile or laugh. Overnight I have gone from not wanting to take them out to not wanting to put them in.:frowning:

Well it’s nice to know others have experienced this, thanks. So many people on here were singing the praises of custom molds that I had really high hopes. I was very excited to get them. I do hope this can be made right because it did seem like the right solution to the domes backing out.

bluecrab,
your skin is just sensitive and you need to give it time to toughen up and get used to having things rubbing up against it the whole day.

Bluecrab:

I would NOT suggest using alcohol on your molds. First, not necessary. Alcohol is entirely virus-static, but many bacteria can survive alcohol, especially Gram-positive bacteria, so probably not helping anyhow. Second, alcohol dries the skin. If you do have sensitive skin in your ears, that will be a big problem. Wiping them with a slightly damp cloth would be best. Water is harmless, inert and doesn’t dry your skin.

If your pain is diminishing with time, it may be that your muscles just have to adjust to having a foreign object jammed in your ears. But again, molds should be comfortable above all else, so if they are not, go back until they are.

Evil.

Dang it…I hope I don’t have those issues. I’ll find out this Friday.

I’m using a spray that Costco gave me to clean the domes, OtoVita clean. Just looked at the label to see what’s in it, says cleaning spray, nothing else. Made in Germany. Anyone know what’s really in this product?

Just wanted to jump and say I have custom Phonak SlimTip molds and I haven’t had any issues at all. So it CAN happen…

Interesting you say that, because smiling is what causes the most pain.

Yeah, I know doubledown is always recommending alcohol, but my owners manual specifically states no alcohol, so I go with that. (I always read my owners manuals, for everything, just the nerd in me.:))

If your pain is diminishing with time, it may be that your muscles just have to adjust to having a foreign object jammed in your ears. But again, molds should be comfortable above all else, so if they are not, go back until they are.

The pain has diminished some, but like I said, if I smile it is very painful. Touching that little bump in the front of my ear is very painful. I can pull down on my ear to get a little relief, pushing up hurts.

I’ll be going in Monday to see what he can do.

DoubleDown has mentioned, there may be a need for you to hold your mouth partially agape, of fully agape.

This was what they did 12 years ago, and this was what I requested be done again, just 2 weeks ago, as I am again to trial the latest model Phonak Virto V90 when it arrives.

What I had found most recently, just doing a little “test”, was sticking my fingers into the outer canal, and then opening and closing my mouth to varying degrees, smiling, looking up, down, to the sides, etc.

I did note that when opening my mouth 1/2 open, to fully open, three was a difference in ear canal size seemingly, that the further I opened my mouth, the larger my outer ear canal became. (At the lower part of the outer ear canal)

I concluded in my own personal instance, that this difference could be a make or break fitting, that opening my mouth a bit too far just might cause a mold to be slightly too large. Yes, a tight-snug fit which might aid in reducing the seeming inherit feedback issues I commonly have, but also the worry of discomfort, perhaps such as you now experience in that when my mouth is closed, or smiling etc, that the molds would then be painful due to a too large mold.

I’m no fitting expert, but had also thought, that by being slightly too large, there could also be other downsides, in that when I close my mouth, the changing in size to a smaller ear canal shape could also cause the mold to begin to dislodge from the canal, thus with things like eating, speaking, etc the fit would then possibly become looser and looser, and here comes the feedback issues again, rearing their ugly head.

In your case, possible that the outer part of the mold is slightly too large in diameter, that the mold is not fitting further into the canal, is riding more to the outer portion of your canal, and causing rubbing or pressure issues there that are causing this pain.

I of course would first try some modification of the present molds, but do take time to see if all feels and works OK right then and there, and that if you believe such has not been rectified to your liking, then I would again try having new impressions again made, with some adjustments to the degree on lack of in which your mouth is open, or closed. To remember what you did last time, and possibly there needs to be a slight modification of such positioning of your mouth, or head.

In any case, another impression taken, might be an aid, in comparing this new impression, to the existing molds, that they can then both be examined, and perhaps the necessary fine tuning could be tried to the existing molds with some better success.

Hope this helps.

For those interested…got my molds today. I’ve only been wearing them for about 6 hours, so this is kind of a tentative update.

Comfort…not all that different than domes, but it is better than domes. That is a relief considering BlueCrab’s posts.

Staying in my ears?..better…BUT, they are still easing out to, like the domes, just not as bad. Given what I’ve read here…that is a real disappointment. Doc Jake’s suggestion seems extreme for what you want in your ears. I had come to the conclusion, the domes backing out was due in part to the wire not being long enough, but I already have the longest wire. The molds stick out more, and helps with that, but guess the wire isn’t the only problem. Not sure what to try next.

Occlusion? Yes, they initially sounded just like my first use of hearing aids, but that will subside. HIS agrees with that. I think that aspect will be fine.

I have some back ground noise issues, but is not related to this issue, I’ll post that in a different thread.

Well I’m glad to hear that.:cool: I’m going back this Monday, so I’m hoping I can get better results soon.

Staying in my ears?..better…BUT, they are still easing out to, like the domes, just not as bad. Given what I’ve read here…that is a real disappointment.

Do yours have concha locks on them? Mine came with those, but my HIS was constantly saying “I can take those off if you don’t like them.” He seemed like he really wanted to take them off. I’m glad he didn’t, that’s the one part of these molds that I like.

Not sure what a concha lock looks like. They have a little tail on them, but think that is to pull them out. So, I’d so no. I know I asked for locks, but it wasn’t discussed today, and really forgot about that.

Since I posted…they are backing out some…not as much as domes…but still too much I’m thinking. Pretty comfortable. These molds are not Rexton molds, but Westmore or something like that. Thought I would remember the name 6 hours ago. I should have remembered this old man can’t remember crap.

Concha Lock

Well, for Pete’s sake! How do you get your pictures to show up inline, instead of in a link?:frowning:

Well, I asked for locks, and they aren’t there. Seems they are needed, so suspect I’ll ask them to redo it…same mold…with locks.

Use something like photobucket…they have various linking capabilities, one they call IMG…and you get this results.

Concha locks…also known as Canal locks.

I have those…for me they are an absolute MUST. Definitely get them remade. And if the occlusion is more than you like, have them make the vent bigger. Rexton has “select a vent” feature as well. So, if they make the vent about approx 3 mm (or whatever the size is), you can then add inserts (supplied by Rexton) to the vent that make it smaller until they are the correct size for you.

Glad they are comfortable at least!

Evil.

PS. LOL Doc_Jake! Crazy glue might work too! :slight_smile:

Had my HIS polish down my molds today (or, should I say, “yesterday.” Good grief look at the clock!:p)

Much more comfortable! I can smile and chew with practically no pain. I’m really starting to like these now. I have another appointment in two weeks, and I think I’ll have him polish the right one a little more. The vent seems fine. He said he always orders the smallest vent because he can make it bigger if he needs to, but I sense almost no occlusion. I almost to the point where I can forget they are there.

So yeah, glad I got them!:cool:

Glad to hear it is working out…enjoy!

Evil.

Jcummins, did you ever get the new molds with Concha Locks? We’d like to know how your molds are working out for you.

Not yet. Bit difficult to get back to Costco due to several personal issues. I have had email exchanges with the HIS, and we will redo the molds. At this point it probably will be after Thanksgiving before I can get back to Costco.

The domes backed much further out than these molds I have now. But I’m finding, the right ear in particular, if the mold backs out just a very tiny bit…I start getting squeals. Seems the molds are much more sensitive to the position in my ears than the domes where. Still…I prefer the molds. Have hope the locks will solve this issue.