Does long hair affect hearing aid performance?

Wife formerly short hair now well over her ears. Seems she isn’t hearing as well with her BTE HAs. Any estimates how adversely this impacts hearing?

I’ve had long hair forever and if you can ascertain that it negatively impacts hearing, please let me know.

That being said, I’ve never had any signals from anywhere that it impacts on the functioning of HA’s. I believe it’s even a standard strategy for hiding HA’s.

What frequently have impacted are a slight cold, allergies, clogged slim tubes for BTE, fully clogged wax guards for RIC and badly fitting domes. If you notice that the lower frequencies are less clear, than it’s probably the domes (or custom molds.)

3 Likes

The length of her hair should have no noticeable affect on the performance of he HAs.

I have long hair, I also have BTE style, KS 9s. Sometimes I wear my hair down; other times I have it up in a pony tail. I don’t see any difference in my hearing.

Has she tried wearing a pony tail, to see if SHE hears any differently? Just a thought.

Could it also be that her hearing has deteriorated coincidentally at the same time she changed her hair style?

1 Like

Long hair myself. Have to wear it pulled partially back or in ponytail because hair swishing across BTE HA’s makes loud wack-wack noise. Thinking about cutting it short.

That’s an excellent thought. I’ll suggest it and see what happens. Thanks

1 Like

That’s a real possibility. We haven’t been to the audi for over a year bc of Covid.

Due to covid, my hair is rather long and covers my hearing aids. That being said, even with hair covering my hearing aids, there is no discernible difference between sound quality as a result. It still sounds the same to me even with the obstruction / covering.

Hi mnorling24,

I had that issue when I first got my HAs. On my first trip back for adjustments – I think it was about 2 weeks – I told the audi and she fixed that. I think this is something many folks experience when they initially get hearing aids. You may just need an adjustment.

1 Like