Does CROS use more battery of main hearing aid?

I have new Phonak Lumity L90 with Lumity CROS in bi-CROS for 6 days. I had heard that the battery in a CROS unit won’t last for the “16 hours with 4 hrs. streaming” that Phonak advertises for the Lumity. The reason is that the CROS is continuously transmitting sound to the main aid. That makes sense.

In 12 hours my CROS is under 20% remaining battery. But the main L90 is under 10% at 12 hours, with no more than 30 minutes of streaming. I am wondering if a bi-CROS setup uses more battery in the main aid as well because it has to continuously receive the signal from the CROS and then process and amplify it. That in addition to processing and amplifying the sound from it’s own mics.

Does anyone know if that is correct? Otherwise my main aid’s battery must be defective because it is not getting even close to a full day’s use.

A bit of both depending on your loss. Traditional CROS had the main battery emphasis on the sending unit from the much poorer ear: HOWEVER, (and that’s a big however for some very important reasons), modern hearing technology does a helluva lot of communicating (especially the Phonak with its standard Bluetooth), so the demands on that battery in the ‘main’ ear are significantly higher. Even before you consider what it’s doing to put the sound out in the local ear.

So yes, the battery on the ‘good’ side gets a hammering. When you stream, they won’t last a day afaik.

2 Likes

Thanks, Um_bongo. Guess I will have to put the aids in the charger for a while around mid-day.

I confirmed that the main aid uses more battery with a CROS connected. I kept the CROS turned off for a full day and the main L90 battery level was significantly higher throughout the day compared to previous days when the CROS was turned on.

2 Likes