Does anyone with a Nucleus 7 implant also use a Phonak M90?

I know that only a ReSound HA syncs with the Nucleus 7 cochlear implant. Not totally happy with the sound of the ReSound Quattro hearing aid, but I could need some adjustments to it. It also feels like I’m hearing from the inside of a cave; things sound distant.

I was at the PCP’s office for pre-op physical today and there was an echo type sound and some feedback in the Quattro. I quickly changed over to the M90 (which I plan on returning) and the sound and understanding of my doctor was much better.

Does anyone with a Nucleus 7 implant use a Phonak M90 aid as well instead of a ReSound? I know one member did and the audi had problems getting the Phonak aid to the member’s liking with implant. Any other experiences? For example sound with the un-synced implant, echo’s, latency, etc.

Thanks.

I know you need to buy a receiver a my link neck loop and a Roger pen to get the Phonak to work with the N7 to hook up the Roger pen and Phonak system to the CI. I don’t know any other info though sorry.

1 Like

@debbie_o I’ve found this article written by an Australian man who wears a Phonak with his CI. It is possible and I hope it helps clarify a few things for you.

Roger, Roger! - A Review of Phonak’s Roger Pen | Facebook

1 Like

@Deaf_piper Thank you, I will take a look at this article. :smiley:

Hi, I am new to the subject because I am considering a CI. So apologies if the question is funny to experts.
What’s ReSounf and Nucleus?
Is one the receiving part that is positioned on the skull and the other the external part, the microphone?
Is it possible to combine various models or normally the choice of implant includes the “mic” (is that the correct definition) as well as the implanted receiver?

Resound is the hearing aid brand, the Nucleus is the CI processor model by Cochlear!

1 Like

The external part is called a processor and that is made by Cochlear, Oticon, Advanced Bionics, Med-El. The internal part is always the same brand as the external part; they cannot be mixed and matched.

On the opposite ear, if you don’t have a second cochlear implant (ever, or yet), you can wear nothing, if you don’t need it, or a hearing aid. Cochlear brand cochlear implants/processors are designed to match with GN Resound hearing aids; Advanced Bionics cochlear implants match with (one particular) Phonak hearing aid, and Med-El doesn’t match with any as they claim the can work optimally with any aid. I assume Oticon implants only match up with Oticon hearing aids, but they’re not available in the US so I haven’t researched them at all.

2 Likes

Note that the matching is really only important for streaming, and the number of accessories you need to carry. Any CI will work with any HA in the other ear.

2 Likes

@phobos512 Thanks a lot for your very clear explanation.
In my case I would not need to combine my future CI with any hearing aid (at the moment).
I suppose it is difficult to understand what brand/model is the one to go for?

You mean, whuch brand of cochlear implant? That’s the $100,000 question. I’ve 99% decided on Cochlear, whuch several members have had good success with. I went ahead this past week and ordered Resound Enzo Qs to take the place of my Phonaks, which both wouldn’t do the streaming and are also no longer powerful enough for me. And if I do end up going Med-El, it won’t matter which hearing aid I have on the other ear.

1 Like

@phobos512 Yes, it seems to be a big question… because - possibly I am wrong - it is not very clear what the differences are. I have seen comparisons graphics but is it really clear what that means?
In Europe, doctors are not allowed to suggest a brand but I am not sure how can a patient make a decision on something that is a medical tool without guidance.

That’s what I’ve been wrestling with as well. It does seem like Cochlear has the highest reliability, but it also seems they’re primarily focused on speech performance and nothing else. The reliability argument is what’s largely pushing me to Cochlear.

But a doctor is allowed to tell you which brand s/he most often implants.
There is no better or worse technology among the 4 mayor brands in Europe. Take a dice and mark “1” as Cochlear, “2” as AB, “3” as Medel and “4” as Neurelec/Oticon and roll the dice. If it shows “5” or “6” than roll it again. If you are unsure then roll it again, too :smiley:

I have chosen my brand by the time I need to travel to the hospital for each adjustment. And there are a couple of them.

1 Like

It seems that the one study that was done showed that they were all within 10% of average for the qualities measured. They did not publish which brands preformed best as by the time the study was published, several of the manufacturers had issued new models.