Does any current Costco hearing aid Stand Out? Steps to get good fit with Costco?

Does any rechargeable hearing aid sold through Costco standout above the others sold at Costco (Jabra Enhance Pro 20, Rexton RIC, Phillips MNR T R 9040)?

I will be going to Costco Friday to be fitted with my first pair and have done a lot of reading.

Currently using (one month) Jabra Enhance Select 300 with Premium (very similar to Jabra Enhance Pro 20, but no REM fitting) package on a trial basis but will be returning since my mid frequency plus loss is too high for ideal fitting with OTC products. I have nothing to compare them to but I like them. My current phone does not support streaming but will be updating to newer Android.

Good word recognition is most important. I don’t see that I have unusual issues with the WRS with Jabra 300 but better fit time/use should help.

I would like to have a good fitting and hope that REM takes a lot of the variables out of the picture if the fitter is not ideally experienced. My ears and mind are adjusting well to the increased volume/sounds so I might be able to eventually use a full REM fit.

1 Like

Nope, because only you can know which one “stands out” or is the “best” for you, mind you maybe the disposable is the “one” as your faithfully familiar with Jabra you may as well stick with them, don’t stress over REM, it’s not the holy grail of hearing/fitting, Costco do REM as a matter of course.

Everyone would like a good first fit, but I’m afraid that it’s hit or miss for most, again don’t stress over the REM as it does not guarantee a good fit, you’ll most likely need to go back for adjustments anyway, getting used to ones HAs is a work in progress for some, just don’t overthink it because HAs don’t restore your hearing, they are just an aid.

Good luck on Friday.

4 Likes

The Rexton Bi-Core really stood out for me, but YMMV.

1 Like

Signia is a favourite for me as well, hopefully a trial will sort out which is the “one” to get.

All these aids should do the things you ask if properly fit to your hearing loss.
They all have the same great warranty from Costco.
The only thing left is reliability. I really haven’t read about many problems with any of them. The Bluetooth LE Audio has been questionable but it’s still very new technology.
I don’t believe you can go wrong with any of them if properly fit to your hearing loss.
Good luck

2 Likes

@Justme

Truly hope that your new hearing aids work really well for you.

You have an audiogram that is similar to mine. I think that my hearing was better than yours when I got my first hearing aid.
I’ve worn HA’s for about 20 years…the most helpful resource I’ve found is a book

HEAR & BEYOND by
Shari Eberts & Gael Hannan

got mine from ammazon.

My experience is that the fitter is really important. If I was starting new I would be going to COSTCO hoping that I could manifest finding their best and most pleasant fitter.

Buying hearing aids shouldn’t be like buying toilet paper at COSTCO. if it is I’d look for a different fitter maybe at a different store.

I just added the audiobook from my public library to my list of reads, thanks to you.

1 Like

I wish I knew who reviewed the book here. It changed my life.

I had reacted to hearing loss like a victim. The book taught me how to communicate better and advocate for myself. I’ve recently found both authors on youtube. I thanked them there…

Meantime, I’m fighting hard. I’m finally hearing better after using my new hearing aids for 1-1/2 years. My dispensing audi politely told me to find someone else who could help me more than he did. So I did.

So you know…there’s a group here who fit their own hearing aids. I haven’t gone that path. I have great respect for them. And there are wonderful audiologists who share a lot posting here. Some don’t confess they are audis. Point is you’ve found a wonderful forum that has the best of people.

1 Like

Earliest post I’ve found on the site about the book.

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat

I watched an Audi’s podcast on YouTube. He interviewed the two authors. It was ok.

The book is excellent. I have 2 copies. Print and ebook. They have released the audiobook too as a gentleman posted here.

I hope others recommend other books too

1 Like

As others have mentioned here (me, too), “Volume Control” by David Owen, is also an excellent book about hearing loss, not so much a “how to” but an excellent discussion with history.

1 Like

The Costco technicians are dependably capable, but with differing styles. Since you are familiar w/ Jabra, you might start there. I have the Costco Jabra EP 20 and love it. Follow-up visits do not mean the tech gave you a poor start–they are standard, expected, and even necessary in order for you and the instrument to work at optimum level!

I bought and read his book. I think because you recommended it. Thank you.

He does write well. Somewhere in it he said the manufacturing cost for our hearing aids is $100 or so. (My thought, only if the design is by divine intervention. There’s a lot of work required before they start building them.)

Trying to avoid a rant…My first Phonaks were a miraculous fit because I had an amazing audi who set them up right. About 8 years later I got my second Phonaks. They were terrible. I left that audi to another one that was recommended to me. He had trouble setting new Phonaks up.

Lesson I learned is the setup is so important and it requires highly skilled people to be done right.

1 Like

I got Jabra Enhanced Pro hearing aids at Costco on January 25, 2024. Ten days later the right one stopped working and had to be sent back. It took a week to get a replacement.

I’ve had other issues. They keep disconnecting from my Samsung Galaxy S24 Android phone. It’s easily fixed by restarting the phone, but it’s annoying.

I really can’t hear well in noisy environments. I seem to hear all the sounds I don’t want and none of the sounds that I do want to hear.

Sorry to hear this. Did you learn why it quit working? Others here on the forum might like to know. The word understanding issue could be a programming issue or just you being a new hearing aid user??? Wearing hearing aids is sure a challenge for many. It’s not like putting new glasses on, very different.

The connectivity issues are related to Bluetooth LE Audio IMO. Your phone and these aids should be LE Audio compatible but I continue to hear issues with this new Bluetooth. My Google Pixel 7a is also LE Audio and issues with streaming started as soon as it got this phone. Previous phone was a Pixel 3, it had zero streaming issues with the same exact same hearing devices.

You are well within the warranty period for those aids. I am not saying return them but if you are really unhappy with them you sure can return them. There are other aids available there.
Something else you can try is a different hearing aid fitter. Maybe that could help with programming the aids.

Also try to take notes about the good things and bad things about those aids. Try to include the environment you are in at the time. This can help the filter help you.

I don’t know why the right hearing aid quit working. I took it to Costco and they ran some tests on it but couldn’t get it to turn on. They said all they could do is send it back for repair or replacement.

1 Like

The Rexton Bi-Cor will be replaced soon with the latest Rexton/Signia model.

1 Like

My Costco doesn’t offer in store trialing of different aids. They suggest the one they feel is best for your loss and thats one you get to trial in store. When i asked to try another aid, they said that i would have to make another appointment to try a different aid. I asked if i could make a longer future appointment time to trial all of the aids in store back to back, they again said i would need separate appointments for each trial. Has anyone else had that experience? Tnx

I have not. Must be a busy store.