Doctors Just Don't Get It

Hi I am new here. I do not know how to make my doctors understand that my ears hurt. My hearing is bad and my crickets are very very loud 24/7, but hearing loss should not hurt my ears, right? I have spent a lot of money on hearing amplifiers, which only amplify the noise. I need a hearing aide from WORDS, Conversations, not for someone dropping a nail at the neighbors house. I need directions.

1 Like

An audiogram or hearing test results would be a starting point for the ones here to help you. But your ears hurting could mean fluid behind the ear drum. Your tinnitus is an issue that more than likely will never go away unless it is caused by an infection and not hearing loss. I am guessing you have been to an ENT to have your ears checked for infection and other possible issues…

7 Likes

Do you have a friend or family member that can go to your doctor’s appointment with you?

3 Likes

I have been to the ENT, they did a MRI, of course there was nothing. But that did not mean the pain went away.

1 Like

Yes, I have my husband or my daughter.

Did the ENT do a tympanometry exam? See:

We’re not assuming that fluid build-up behind the eardrum is the cause of your symptoms. Only a qualified doctor who examines you in person can determine that. But this is one common cause of your symptoms (there are others).

You might consider getting a second opinion from a different ENT. I would not ask for a second MRI; unless significant time has passed, that’s unlikely to show anything different. Sometimes having a different radiologist interpret the first MRI turns up something different. What I would consider asking for is a second in-person exam from a different doctor to pin down the cause of your pain. Not every medical issue shows up in an MRI.

1 Like

That is a very good idea. I never do, but I really need to start so that I can maybe get somethings resolved, my ears binging one of them. Every single time I go to the doc, I tell them I have a river running through my ears, but they do not see it. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m unclear what you’re saying. It sounds like you have tinnitus (constant sound in your ears). I’m unclear if your pain is from the tinnitus and a sensitivity to loud noises or if there’s something else. Is the pain constant? If not, what makes it worse or better. I’d suggest working with your family members to come up with what you really want to accomplish when you go to the doctor. It is so easy to get distracted and not get the questions you want answered dealt with.

2 Likes

Oh no, it is not from tinnitus, but it should not be from my hearing loss either. They hurt constantly, but it is hard to get a doctor to move forward when they cannot see anything, specially after a MRI. I have had 2 doctors tell me right away, well if you have tinnitus, there is nothing that can be done, get hearing aides and the pain should get better. It is very frustrating, but I feel confident that I will get to the right person one day.

Does anything make the pain better or worse? Often pain is made worse by what we fear might be causing it.

Try looking up the condition Trigeminal neuralgia. It can run in families, and the sensation is like HORRIFIC ice-pick pain that can be constant or come and go right smack IN the ear. My mom has it, and I’ve had just a few episodes that take my breath away.

You sound like you’ve got it going on. It can come on independent of TMJ, which is caused by clenching the teeth. That can also cause ear pain.

Good luck in getting a diagnosis!

1 Like

@Rita

Hi Rita and welcome.
Hearing amplifiers do help, but as they amplify all frequencies, they also hinder. If your hearing loss is generally in higher frequencies, the amplified lower frequencies will overpower you. This is called upwards masking. Also, the amplification can cause pain if it’s higher than your tolerance level.

My audiologist said: “If you’re struggling to interpret speech, it’s natural to turn up the volume, when it may actually make the problem worse”.

To me, hearing amplifiers are only a temporary solution.

Peter

Hi Rita, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Even though I have hearing loss, in my particular case my ear pain most often used to come from clenching and grinding my teeth at night, and a night guard for my teeth was helpful. So many things are connected in different parts of our bodies. I hope you find a doctor capable of recognizing that and giving you the treatment that will be helpful.

A family member has this really severe from removing a tumour from behind her nose.

Ear pain is the worse for her!

Failed surgery! :-/

Oh no, that’s awful…

I will and thank you!

Getting use to something is the hardest, some days I’ve got it, the very next day I am throwing them. The cycle is just never ending.

1 Like

I have had TMJ for a long time and yes, I am pretty certain that my pain is from the TMJ. It feels as if my bone is going into my ear canal.

I’ll look at the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

1 Like