Do you use some kind of lube to insert RIC domes?

Just wondering if anyone uses some kind of lubricant when inserting RIC domes,as I have weird shaped ear canals and thought maybe adding a bit of lube would help when inserting,but don’t want to make matters worse ‘in there’,or degrade the domes somehow with the wrong lube…what do you use,if any? Thanks,Huck

1 Like

Some people with ear molds might use Westone Oto-Ease lubricant. I have molds and don’t use any. I was given some when I received my custom ear plugs. I never used anything when I used domes or the silicone slim-tips.

WH

1 Like

I personally use a product called miracell. You can find on Amazon. With my loss my molds must fit tight. This product works great and also reduces itching. Use sparingly

2 Likes

I have a problem on occasion in my right ear with wax and the hard shell. My audiologist suggested mineral oil and when I have a problem I use a tiny bit on the bottom of the shell. Mineral oil is cheap and readily available.

I use EarGene a couple nights a week and it really is meant for itching ears, but I have also noticed it helps keep my ear wax under control. And I have worn ITE aids, custom ear molds and domes without any kind of lubricant for over 18 years.

1 Like

For domes I use Oto-Ease, which is a water-based product, kind of like a viscous personal lubricant. For molds I use Miracell ProEar, an oil-based product that lasts longer in the ear.

Almond Oil works well. (Not just for ear moulds.)

2 Likes

I alternate between using Lansinoh (used by nursing mothers, on different part of antimony :slight_smile: ) and Hydrocortisone 1% ( when my ear starts to itch).
Used very sparingly, on the ear molds, being careful not to get in ether the vent or receiver ports.

1 Like

Just be careful when using any lubricant/oil with the silicone cone. Maybe some type of lubricant might damaged/harder/erode the silicon dome. If rubbing a very small amount of lubricant inside the ear canals and solve the itching problem then pls go ahead. As the silicon dome comes in contact with lubricant, cleaned the silicon dome with 70% alcohol swap (outside & inner surface of the dome) once a week or every 2 weeks.
Even under normal circumstances, the ear war will come into contact with silicon dome. You will see a this layer of “wax dirt” in the outer and inner layer of the silicon dome. Alcohol swap will remove it nicely. If the dome is “cloudy” after cleaning with alcohol swap, change a new one.
Taking care of the HA, wins half the battle!

Thanks,but I was just curious more than anything.I think using some lube may make the HA fall out faster if lube was used?,sometimes after putting them in,they seem to get warmed up and kinda slide a little bit out,so I usually check with my finger. I don’t really have a ‘problem’ yet.
I tried a larger dome,but they are too big.Thanks,Huck

1 Like

I use coconut oil usually, because that’s what is in the bathroom. I sometimes put some on a Q-Tip and swab the ear canal, sometimes take a little on my fingers and rub the domes. My issue is sometimes my canals are dry and they don’t insert well (they stick).

FYI, one of my past audiologists said it didn’t matter really what you use. It could be mineral oil, vaseline, coconut oil, olive oil. I admit to using my EOS lip balm once or twice even.