Do I need hearing aids? See chart

I think a lot of us do, because power of the voice goes down as you exhale, and since we mostly aren’t trained in public speech and proper breathing which would help to keep intonations as wanted, no wonder we HoH have such issues.

I also learned that if I just say ‘huh’, I’ll get the same thing, which isn’t useul. So I train myself to say - can you just tell me the end, after ‘x’. Fun thing, many times people don’t remember :rofl:

What makes difference is external mic - they’re much more sensitive and can catch soft tones which get lost in the air between you and the person talking otherwise. But yes, they need to carry it.
If it’s important… :wink:

I’ll sometimes ask repeating back what I heard and that trailing vocal method of asking what that next word was.
The running joke with the spouse is that I’ll repeat back what I initially heard. Hilarity ensues.

2 Likes

This happens ALL.THE.TIME at my house…sometimes hysterical…

The reason that an audiogram can’t determine if you need hearing aids is because it depends on one’s situation. If somebody with that audiogram was a hermit, or lived in a deaf community where signing was the means of communication, they wouldn’t “need” hearing aids. However if somebody attempts to communicate regularly with somebody and there are issues with either party, hearing aids are likely to be useful.

1 Like

Most of us don’t realize we need hearing aids until we get them, and realize the sounds we haven’t been hearing.

6 Likes

Z - I so relate to you no asking ppl to speak up or repeat. I also just kind of withdraw and gaze out the window or around. It catches me off sometimes as - I then hear more of what is being said and then have to ask the subject :slight_smile: Most of the time I just let it all roll. For the most part it just aint that important.

3 Likes

Not sure if it was mentioned above but costco has a 6 month trial period.

Before I got the aids I couldn’t hear the wife. Now I have to ignore her.

5 Likes

Hmmmm, you gotta learn “selective” hearing like the rest of us husbands…lol

I hope it works out well for you Xooterpust. I agree with Raudrive about Bluetooth and also about giving yourself plenty of time to get used to the new and new to you sounds you will be experiencing. It can be overwhelming.

Meanwhile, I am just going to sit over here and mumble, “I would love to pay 2,000 for my hearing aids. Mine cost $7500 for the pair and the audi told me they only last 4 years, and I’m in year three…” Don’t mind me. :smiley:

I’m 1 month shy of 4 years on KS7’s. Still fine. As long as they still work and do what they need to do for you…they’re fine. I may want to move on to bleutooth capable models soon but whatever.

1 Like

I hate it for you, Theatrebuff. When I first got got into this I had absolutely no idea about the cost of hearing aids. TruHearing is a huge online discounter of all the brands, as near as I can tell, even though the aids I got were even cheaper than their published discounted price because of a free Medicare supplement policy from Humana. The policy offered some dental, hearing, and vision benefits as well, but mostly in the way of discounted prices through specific vendors that they refer you to.

You’ve probably already seen this, but here’s the TruHearing pricelist: Hearing Aid Catalog | TruHearing Hearing Aids.

Some other folks on this forum have reported that aids through Costco are much less expensive as well, so you might want to pay Costco a visit when you need a new pair. Assuming you live near a Costco, that is.

That’s good to hear, z10user2. I am going to hope these last as long as possible and thank you for the insight.

Thanks for the commiseration, Xooterpust. I paid way too much, and I got very little care, so I’m definitely going to go the Costco route. There’s one about 45 minutes away. Elsewhere here I recounted my experience with my audiologist, who was…not good…and found out that Costco was selling a very similar device for about $2500 a pair, versus what I paid. I think I may have cried when I found out.

Thanks for the information about TruHearing. The issue I had…and continue to have…is that nearly every place is open 10 to 4, Monday through Thursday where I live. (It’s Florida and basically the only customers have…all the time in the world to make an appointment in the middle of the day? Insert skeptical eyebrow here). No Friday and no weekends, and since I’m 49, I am still working and those hours…won’t do it for me. At least Costco is open later and every day. But as I noted above, I am not going to be in the market for what I hope…pray?..will be a very long time to come. It’s mostly all about the money, you know?

But I love my hearing aids, and I also get a good laugh (at my own expense?) when I ask people how much they paid for their first car…and then say, “Well, that’s about what I paid for these” and point to my aids. (I am a little weird.)

Good luck, Theatrebuff. May those HAs last you till the year 2050.

Costco has a 180 day return policy.

One more vote for ‘they will last until they die’. We have people who have their aids for 10 years, yes they upgraded for new features but old ones are still working and serve as a backups.

However, if aids are rechargeable, then battery will probably die of sitting unused for years.

But until you smash it with a hammer, your dog or cat chews it, you drop it in the sea, there’s no reason for them to ‘just die’. Extensive sweat could be the culprit for circuitry death though.

Yes, receiver part can die, and if you wear classic BTE, it might not be repairable after some point eg no spare parts, but that’s the same with RIC aids and their receivers.

So basically as long as there are spare parts for them (somewhere, not necessarily with the manufacturer) and circuitry works, they will work.

What is more probable is that after 3-6 years you’ll be the one to say - I want new ones because of tech, or new color, or if your loss deteriorates so much that you need different form.
Or you’ll lose them and you’ll need a new pair.

But they’re not made to die on 4 year mark, or any such arbitrary number.

Interesting is how different fitters say different things, those oriented to selling were the ones that would mention similar arbitrary mark to me, but I bought mine from two who said what I said above - if nothing bad happens to their circuitry we can keep them working as long as there are spare parts (battery door, receiver).

My first set of Phonak aids lasted 16 years of wearing them everyday and still serve as my backups.

1 Like

That’s good to read, Blacky, thank you. I will admit the audi who sold me these $7500 hearing aids that only last a couple of years is DEFINITELY in the selling mode. I had no difference in my hearing from the first set to the second set, and I’m glad to hear that I won’t be putting out another $7500 this time next year.

The more time I spend with you all, the more I realize how much I let myself be taken advantage of and how much I have yet to learn.

1 Like

Uf, I’m sorry to hear this.

However it occurred to me that there might be one aid that could have expiration time, or better said, amount you paid doesn’t cover battery change anymore - lyric.
I don’t consider that hearing aids in usual sense, because they’re heavily bundled and you have zero autonomy with them, and I think they can’t be properly fitted like regular aids can, but I’m not sure. I vaguely remember that they might have such high prices.

If that’s the case then yes, you’re not paying for aids in common sense but for service of replacing those aidds every few months.

If that’s the case, I’d recommend digging into regular hearing aids and seeing which form you’d be able to work with. My recommendation is RIC aids unless you have so severe loss that you need classic BTE.

Anyhow, which ones you had previously and which do you have now?

I’d also strongly suggest finding another fitter. If you’re in the USA, look up for costco.
They have awesome prices and decent service based on fitting best practices.

For more about that, I’d strongly suggest, if you haven’t already, getting some basics through these two sources. That way you’ll start building foundations for understanding all things around HAs :slight_smile:

best practices summarised by dr cliff

And they have article about listening in noise, also recommended to read.

Both sources have youtube channel if you like that media instead.