DIY REM (Real Ear Measurement)?

I’ve seen in various threads that there are varying opinions on the value of REM – Real Ear Measurement, which uses a small mic in the ear canal between the HA and the eardrum to measure the HA’s output.

Has anyone who does DIY fitting also tried to do REM?

Just reupping this question:

Has anyone who does DIY fitting also done or had REM? It seems that REM is so important. I want to begin experimenting with self-programming, and am wondering how much of a disadvantage it is to not have had REM when purchasing my aids.

Really appreciate your help.

Nobody answered then and now 3 years later we’ll see if anyone does.
I too would be interested in this. Where would an end user get the equipment? Would it be prohibitively expensive? Would it even be sellable to end users? Would there be safety issues having an inexperienced end user sticking something in their ear?

Fingers crossed. :slight_smile:

Yeah. I remember. A while ago I did have a look around. Depending on your definition of prohibitive…they’re prohibitive to me. Which is probably why I forgot. There’s one on ebay asking about $2500US.

They can’t be that expensive. They are giving them away to audicians who sell 8 OPN hearing aids, that’s 4 customers!
I’ve send a mail to the supplier of the MedRx Avant REMsp here in Holland.

Makes you wonder what really motivates fitters to push a particular brand.

Keep us informed as to your progress. I’d be interested. Not $2500 interested.

Yes, I want this too.

I just programmed my new 2nd hand hearing aids and used the REUG (Real Ear Unaided Gain) values as registered in the Oticon OPN 1’s, that I tested.

Oddly enough, when I ran Genie2 and connected the aids via flex strip and CS44 and Hipro’s, it read the REUG values from the hearing aids. :slight_smile:

I also got a print out from my audician with all the curves on different decibel-bands and frequencies, but I haven’t looked into reducing that to the simple list of values that are in this screen.

Now I know that with every change of dome/custom mold the REM will be slightly different: Also whether the audician puts the tube closer to the eardrum or farther. Whatever, it’s not perfect, but’s quite close. (Since I am going to be using their custom molds, it’s very very close.)

Just asking for this list or reading it from your hearing aids will provide you with a reasonable approximation: a DIY REM.

So I ordered a MedRx REM off of eBay for $2600. It arrives next week. I also ordered a cheap video otoscope off of Amazon. I have the Signia Pure Charge and go AX, Silk 7X, Active Pro, KS10 (Phonak Audeo Paradise 9). Also Sony C10.

I have so many as I’m a nerd and also have to wear one 24/7 due to extreme tinnitus without it.

I’ve had hearing aids for exactly a year after sudden sensineural hearing loss and tweak them with Connex and Target.

I will update you all and if feeling energetic will do a video!

No idea what I’m doing except for Youtube videos🤪

1 Like

Wow! None of us DIYers (that I know of) use our own REM measurements!

Though, some of us use in-situ (which involves listening for tones in the hearing aids for each frequency, and for each ear) and then use that for prescribing the settings based on the in-situ self-measurements.

Yes, that’s what I’ve done except for the KS10 at first, but I tweaked that too! Dr. Cliff gave me ocd though!

FYI: Click any PVC Avatar to find DIY School.

Suggested DIY School help files;

• 02 How to Program Your Hearing Aids

Hey this sounds cool, I’ll be watching for your posts, does the MedRx come with everything needed all the probes, software?

Yes this auction did. And if you need more probes they are available lots of places online and not expensive. The software is on the MedRx site and I’ve already downloaded it. MedRx uses sonic mm measurement for tube insertion so that should be easy. They also have a lot of tutorials on Youtube. I think the new unit is roughly $6000. I think they only sell to HCP. There was only one used on ebay from someone who sold it with their own warranty.

I chose the PC USB solution over the stand-alone units as I figured there’s less to go wrong and the software is updated.

I plan to use two laptops, one with Connexx/Target controlling the hearing aids, and the other for the REM curve.

An Audi told me how to insert the probes into your ears at the proper depth.

Push the receiver aside to make way for the probe and then continue sliding the probe into the ear canal until you notice the patient Jump in their chair. Then back off a few millimeters.

But she was grinning when she told me that. :rofl:

2 Likes

Cool I can’t wait to see your results, should be interesting!

Well, I got the MedRX REM Speech + today. First, I could not get the software to recognize it, then I figured out I was using the current 3.4 Medrx REM software and I had to grab the legacy 3.1 software and I was off to the races.

I first did my Kirkland Signature 10 hearing aids. It took me about 3 hours and I matched the lower than 1khz up to the curves and went on a walk and heard every pump and construction noise like a snair drum. So I lowered those frequencies and it works great and the high frequencies sound much clearer than first fit and it helps my tinnitus more. High frequencies were extremely under amplified on the first fit.

Then I did my Signia Silk 7X and it only took me 30 minutes. First the signia software is easier. Second, I had experience. I matched the curves pretty well. I didn’t worry about below 1 khz as I don’t want to hear water pumps and engines everywhere I go. They were underamplified in high frequencies as well. However, I had to back down 4 db from my Rx around 4-5 khz in my right ear as I was getting too much feedback as they are cic/iic. This was not an issue with the KS10 as they are RIC.

Here is a pic of the final Signia Silk 7X curves!: https://imgur.com/a/u6yKxPx

MedRx has good videos that tell you to calibrate the speakers and tubes first. I only had to do that once as I’m just using the same tubes over and over (no wax).
Inserting the tubes: I just inserted them until I could feel them bump my eardrum… not painful at all as they are super soft and flexible and I’m in control.

The whole thing was fun and interesting. I didn’t do speech mapping yet but will.

4 Likes

Last update for a bit as I’m satisfied for now. On the previous session I think I had lost calibration so they weren’t perfect. I tweaked all of these within about 1.5 hours today. I calibrated the speakers and tubes once and kept the tubes in my ears for a warp REM session with 5 sets of hearing aids tweaked in 95 minutes! Also after this the Silks don’t squeak and I could achieve full prescription curve.

Here’s the 65 db curves of all my hearing aids :grinning:

https://imgur.com/a/5pNBAES

I’m happy to have answered brec’s original question “Has anyone who does DIY fitting also tried to do REM?” just shy of 8 years later. Hope you’re still around Brec! “Yes, yes someone has successfully done DIY REM!!!” :rofl:

4 Likes

Very good all round, I’m impressed with your DIY project on REM, so I guess the question is…are you hearing better and speech comprehension has increased your enjoyment of using your HAs, especially in the most difficult situation, noisy environments,restaurant,bars etc.