DIY If I can do it so can you

Did you know that you can save the 7.0.5 Install file? Just click the Save As…. button on the Update screen and you can save the Install file to the location you choose on your computer;

1 Like

Apologies if this isn’t the appropriate place for this question, but is the Noahlink/Target software the correct combination for a Starkey Picasso i2000 user? Or is that just for Phonak?

I think you are asking about using a Noahlink Wireless hearing aid programming device together with Phonak’s Target fitting software. Because there is another programming device named NOAHlink. But I am guessing you are not really asking about NOAHlink.

Aside from the usual name confusion, No you cannot use one manufacturer’s fitting software to program hearing aids that were manufactured by a different manufacturer.

It has been a year since the last reply, and a couple years since the OP first posted - is DIY still reasonable? I am a bit shocked that Phonak and other companies are selling expensive hearing aids with little to no thought about the customer experience. In fact, my audiologist reported that Phonak is decreasing what little support they already provide. And yet the price of the devices remains quite high. I don’t understand that business model at all.

Anyway, is DIY still a reasonable way forward if one does not want to shell out a couple thousand dollars?

Absolutely, it’s easy enough to do with a bit of research, get familiar with the programming software and hardware before committing, ask specific questions from right here on hearing tracker, about the brand and model that you intend to program, there’s plenty of people here on hearingtracker to help you along.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! My only experience so far is with Phonak Audeo (which I returned). Is any brand easier to DIY with? Any suggestions on how to shop around for a low-cost pair of hearing aids to get started with? I guess I kind of need a “here is how you get started” kind of guide. I looked at fobidon’s response, but it comes off a bit suspicious - the PDFs do a good job of spelling out the basics of acquiring the software, but I feel like I need to figure out the hardware as well.

When I first started this thread, I believed that diy was the most cost-effective and convenient way to get good results from hearing aids, and about 2 years later I still think it’s the way to go.

In my opinion satisfactory hearing results are not the result of buying the latest wiz-bang aids, but comes from doing a good job of programming what you have. When I started I spent a lot of time making changes, sometimes 10-15 in a single day, but after finally arriving at settings that work for me, I left them alone, just cleaning the tubes and domes at bedtime with an alcohol prep pad, and changing the 312 batteries every 6 days.

I occasionally check for Phonak Target software updates, and connect my hearing aids not to make adjustments, but to assure myself that everything is going to work in case I need to make some changes in the future. Why fix what isn’t broken?

For those who are afraid to purchase used aids off places like Ebay or Craigslist consider that there are repair facilities that will completely overhaul a hearing aid for a little over $100.00 each. You just have to look around. If you factor that into the price and compare it to the cost of new aids, it’s still a screaming bargain.

I plan to keep the hearing aids I presently am wearing along with my backup aids I purchased locally from Craigslist. The only thing that possibly could make me look at new devices is if the FDA gets off their dead a…, and finally allows the sale of OTC self programing aids, which should be a total game changer completely disrupting the way folks are getting ripped off by the existing system.

I feel the same way about eyeglasses too, which is why I am one of the original customers of Zenni Optical, which allows me to play around with the perscription online to suit my needs.

No one really knows what you need better than yourself.

Thank’s for reading my rant, next time I’ll tell you how I really feel.

I am in my 80s, and being very tech savvy and computer literate, I like being in charge.

7 Likes

No not really, but I find Phonak target and Signia Connexx software easy to work with, ReSound is easy as well, but I prefer the Aventa version over SmartFit.
You do need to be careful with Widex as they have their own respective programming device which is hard to get and expensive.

So first off, choose the HA you want and then look into the software and hardware. I’d start with eBay as there’s plenty of really good deals there, previous platform HAs from all the big brands for under 1k.

As for hardware Noahlink wireless is a good start, Phonak iCube ll if you go for older Phonak models. Good thing with ReSound is Noahlink wireless is good for all their wireless models staring with the Alera/Verso (2014) right up to their latest models.

1 Like

hello. whether someone that sell hi-pro or noahlink with the low prices ?

Your best bet is eBay. There’s plenty around for around the $180 mark (Noahlink wireless)

@tenkan

I am looking for noahlink the old version, not the noahlink wireless . I already bought a noahlink wireless but definitely not suitable with my hearing aids .

Oh ok then, yeah that may be harder to get tho, Mini Pro could be the way forward for you then.

1 Like

Why do you want a Noahlink?

@Raudrive

I want to program the hearing aids the old version here like oticon alta, alta 2, ria 2, phonak Nathos… or all of the hearing aids that has no wireless system .

I plan to give aid to in their less able to buy the hA as well as selling some of the HA

Seems the HiPro is what you need.

@Raudrive
Yap… thank alot for that information

If you are still out there, “you have inspired me”, and am beginning my research/learning process. You mention “audiology continuing education online courses for free (no credit)”. Specifics(?) if possible would be appreciated.

There’s here, you just sign up and you hundreds of free courses available, the more detailed ones require a fee.

Thanks for your response. I had already searched through the site. Just was asking if there were any specific courses one should begin with that would be the most helpful for a newby.

Ok then,if that’s the case they have the courses set out for basic, intermediate and advanced.

But before that, I would recommend you use the search button from right here on hearingtracker to find more about the basics of programming your HAs.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/c/hearing-aid-self-fitting-and-adjusting/15