DIY Audiogram

I have been wanting to do my own audiogram for a while now so I decided to take the plunge and ordered myself an Etymotic Home Hearing Test device. It arrived a few days ago and was quick and easy to set up on my computer. It consists of a flash drive that contains the software and a USB dongle and pair of earphones that plug into the USB dongle.

Here is a picture of the contents of the package:

As you can see, it comes with its own storage pouch and a selection of eartips to insure a good fit.

Once the software is installed (for Windows only) all you have to do is plug in the USB dongle and then plug the earphones into the dongle and start the software running. This is what the first screen of the software looks like:

During the test you see this screen:

You simply click on the yes or no button as it plays each tone. The test takes about 10 minutes. Once the test is completed you get this screen:

I have taken the test several times and have found that the results are very consistent. It also compares fairly well with my most recent audiogram performed by an audiologist (from January 2017):

Not exactly the same but close. Of course my hearing might have changed some since that audiogram was done.

For those interested I purchased the device from Amazon here:

I’m sure that this isn’t as good as a professionally performed audiogram done in a soundproof booth with all the right equipment but at least it gives me an idea whether or not my hearing is changing. And since I program my Oticon OPN 1 aids myself it also allows me to experiment with my programming if my hearing does change.

I thought this had a Precision-matched sound card? Perhaps, it’s built-in to the USB Dongle?
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/home-hearing-test/home-hearing-test.html

Very interesting. Short of googling :slight_smile: I’d like to know if there is consumer level (pro-sumer ?) REM gear available at a reasonably affordable price. Also, will your gear do the MCL/UCL part?

Yes, what they refer to as a “sound card” is actually the USB dongle itself. There is no separate sound card involved. They claim that the USB dongle (sound card) and the earphones are calibrated so that you get an accurate test.

Here is a closeup of the dongle:

No, the test is only what you see on the audiogram - it just gives you air conduction results over the frequency range shown.

Can it do more data points in between, like 250, 750, 1500, 3K, 6K?

Also, have you tried hearingtest.online?? It requires you to use your own headphones, and I’ve tried it and it seems to be fairly accurate although I think it depends on how well you calibrate it and their method of calibration (rubbing your hands together) is quite crude. I wonder how its result would compare to something like this. It may be worth a try if you’re curious.

Unfortunately it only does certain frequencies. Here is a quote from their web site:

Yes, I have tried hearingtest.online. The result from that test is similar to my original audiogram but not as close as the Etymotic results are. I agree with you that hearingtest.online has problems with calibration and obviously is going to vary due to different earphones being used. That’s the main reason I opted to buy the Etymotic device - to have a calibrated and consistent result.

Is there a reason why you don’t want to just get a free audiogram done at Costco?

When I loaned my brother my OPN 1, at first we use the hearingtest.online site to get a rough audiogram to get going with the programming. Then a few days later he was able to get a more complete test done at Costco and we use that to refine his programming.

I can see expanding this Etymotic usage to help friends and family out and fit them with lower cost hearing aids bought online or from eBay. Who knows, it may grow into a business for affordable hearing aid fitting on the side?

Where I live there is no Costco available. I think the nearest one is about 1 1/2 hours away by car. I have also found that the few local audiologists here are not at all eager to provide just an audiogram - they definitely want to sell you hearing aids. I did find an audiologist in Florida last winter who was willing to do an audiogram and provide me with a printed copy and that is what I used when I purchased my Oticon OPN aids from Buyhear. Needless to say, that isn’t very convenient (and was expensive as well).

Of course part of the reason I purchased the Etymotic device was that I love to follow the DIY route whenever possible. I like to have control of the process whenever it makes sense to do so. Thanks to this forum (and a lot of your posts) I have been able to pursue this path - I would never have had the nerve to do it myself without all the information and support available here.

2 Likes

I’ve had four tests done starting Jun '16. The first I didn’t know to get the printout. Although they sent it to me in an email later on. The second I took a picture of the sheet. The third was Costco and it had their scribbles all over it and it wasn’t very formal. The most recent one, from a whole other provider, they were a bit hesitant to just give it to me. I got it though with a little persisting. um…free hearing test…

GeekMan: I agree with your comment about DIY and this forum. Absolutely terrific with the likes of pvc and Volusiano and MDB and such. I wouldn’t have proceeded down this path without their information.

Since 1996 in the US you have a federal legal right to view and have a copy of any and all medical records of any type concerning health care. This includes hearing exams and tests.

This is the HIPPA 45 C.F.R. §§ 164.508, 164.524
This link can provide details

A provider cannot deny you a copy of your records because you have not paid for the services you have received.

However, a provider may charge for the reasonable costs for copying and mailing the records. The provider cannot charge you a fee for searching for or retrieving your records.

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m just wondering if this dongle can work just like an ordinary PC sound card? If this is the case, then having results on several frequencies we can supplement the test with any other frequencies using an online tone generator and a volume control calibrated in decibels.

As best I can tell, the dongle only works with the software that comes with the kit. I’m not aware of any way to use it as a regular sound card.

It is not the same as R.E.M. But using a direct through the aids audiogram via some fitting software to program the aids gives an approximation.

How long do they say the calibration is valid for? Is there a way to recalibrate or do you just have to buy a new one and how often?

They don’t say anything about a validity period for the calibration. I’m not aware of any way to recalibrate - that isn’t addressed in the literature that came with it as best I can recall.