Dissassembly/maintenance

I have searched but have not found any discussion on this. I have had my HAs for about 3 years now. I most difficulty I have seems to revolve around perspiration. I have a Dry & Store that I use every night and change the desicant on schedule. I clean the domes, remove the receiver from the BTE unit, clean the connection with a soft brush. I remove the battery and often find what I would call gunk in the battery compartment. I use a cotton swab moistened with Isopropal alcohol to clean it out but I know it is getting on down in the unit.

Over these years I have had to send them back to Rexton several times. Most of the time, the warranty covered the repairs untill this last time. I have examined the BTE unit closely under magnification and can see no means the unit is secured together. It appears to have a split line separating the two halves.

Can anybody direct me to a site, or personally advise me how these units are disassembled? I have the skills to do this if I just know how they come apart. I work with aviation electronics and instrumentation.

BTW, They are Rexton Cobalt 16s

they have (at least mine do) 2 very small pins you need to push out with the receiver off and then they will split apart .

Yes, I noted the pins. I did start to push them out but did not push them out all the way. I did not know what would come apart. Are there any ā€œsealsā€ that will break to make it evident that they have been opened that will void any warranty? All I want to do is be able to clean them thoroughly.

When I send my HAs to be cleaned. They donā€™t actually take them apart, they have a very small vacuum cleaner with a very small tube/wire size that goes down into the HAs like thru the ear hook hole and others etc.

push them all the way outā€¦ no seal on the covers other then the perfect fit. most of the inside ā€˜stuffā€™ is enclosed in a membrane looking thing. with pressure type switches sticking out. first time we opened them at a little over 2 yo there was damp greenā€™ish fuzzy crud which we blew off with a little air then we used an alcohol wipe to gently clean them. let them dry and after another shot of air we reassembled and they were good to go.

Obviously :wink: aids should go back to a repairer for ā€˜properā€™ servicing, but if you are going to have a look, make sure you are properly grounded with an anti ESD mat or similar to put the stuff on.

I work with aviation electronics and instrumentation.
this caused me to think he already understood the finer points and would have tools.

Obviously aids should go back to a repairer for ā€˜properā€™ servicing
since they are out of warranty I donā€™t think it a major concern considering his background. when I took my rexton to m y AD she said it needed to be sent in and be about $200. Did I really want to bother since I had newer HAs from the VA. while I was thinking she said letā€™s see what we can doā€¦ thatā€™s in my previous post. she sent me home with the little tool and Iā€™ve done it a couple of times since. the trickiest part is picking up those pins to put them back in.

Thanks for the replies. I do have the tooling, at least that which will accomodate the obvious from the outside of the HAā€™s, ie pushing out the pins. Working with static sensitive equipment is an everyday thing for me so I understand that need. The alcohol I use is 99.9% anhydrous, (no water) Isopropal. You canā€™t buy that at the drug store. We use it at work.

As for the warranty thing. I will need to inquire with my audiolgist about that. Last year I had to send them back to Rexton for a repair. The warranty had expired but she said that because I had to pay for that repair, it also purchased another warranty period but I do not know what the duration is. The main thing about having to send them back is having to do without them for the time they are gone as I donā€™t have a spare pair. If this is something I can do my self, I donā€™t have to be without them