Dissassembly/maintenance

I have searched but have not found any discussion on this. I have had my HAs for about 3 years now. I most difficulty I have seems to revolve around perspiration. I have a Dry & Store that I use every night and change the desicant on schedule. I clean the domes, remove the receiver from the BTE unit, clean the connection with a soft brush. I remove the battery and often find what I would call gunk in the battery compartment. I use a cotton swab moistened with Isopropal alcohol to clean it out but I know it is getting on down in the unit.

Over these years I have had to send them back to Rexton several times. Most of the time, the warranty covered the repairs untill this last time. I have examined the BTE unit closely under magnification and can see no means the unit is secured together. It appears to have a split line separating the two halves.

Can anybody direct me to a site, or personally advise me how these units are disassembled? I have the skills to do this if I just know how they come apart. I work with aviation electronics and instrumentation.

BTW, They are Rexton Cobalt 16s

they have (at least mine do) 2 very small pins you need to push out with the receiver off and then they will split apart .

Yes, I noted the pins. I did start to push them out but did not push them out all the way. I did not know what would come apart. Are there any “seals” that will break to make it evident that they have been opened that will void any warranty? All I want to do is be able to clean them thoroughly.

When I send my HAs to be cleaned. They don’t actually take them apart, they have a very small vacuum cleaner with a very small tube/wire size that goes down into the HAs like thru the ear hook hole and others etc.

push them all the way out… no seal on the covers other then the perfect fit. most of the inside ‘stuff’ is enclosed in a membrane looking thing. with pressure type switches sticking out. first time we opened them at a little over 2 yo there was damp green’ish fuzzy crud which we blew off with a little air then we used an alcohol wipe to gently clean them. let them dry and after another shot of air we reassembled and they were good to go.

Obviously :wink: aids should go back to a repairer for ‘proper’ servicing, but if you are going to have a look, make sure you are properly grounded with an anti ESD mat or similar to put the stuff on.

I work with aviation electronics and instrumentation.
this caused me to think he already understood the finer points and would have tools.

Obviously aids should go back to a repairer for ‘proper’ servicing
since they are out of warranty I don’t think it a major concern considering his background. when I took my rexton to m y AD she said it needed to be sent in and be about $200. Did I really want to bother since I had newer HAs from the VA. while I was thinking she said let’s see what we can do… that’s in my previous post. she sent me home with the little tool and I’ve done it a couple of times since. the trickiest part is picking up those pins to put them back in.

Thanks for the replies. I do have the tooling, at least that which will accomodate the obvious from the outside of the HA’s, ie pushing out the pins. Working with static sensitive equipment is an everyday thing for me so I understand that need. The alcohol I use is 99.9% anhydrous, (no water) Isopropal. You can’t buy that at the drug store. We use it at work.

As for the warranty thing. I will need to inquire with my audiolgist about that. Last year I had to send them back to Rexton for a repair. The warranty had expired but she said that because I had to pay for that repair, it also purchased another warranty period but I do not know what the duration is. The main thing about having to send them back is having to do without them for the time they are gone as I don’t have a spare pair. If this is something I can do my self, I don’t have to be without them