Disposable batteries

LOL! Long hair? Yeah, my hubs had that at one time, too. He was in his 30s, had GORGEOUS, thick, wavy black hair down to his shoulders.

We were in a restaurant eating, and a guy came up from behind my hubs, saw that hair, THOUGHT HE WAS A WOMAN, and as he passed my hubs had a WOLFISH grin on his face. Saw my hubs was a mustachioed MAN, and OMG he blanched, nearly croaked on the spot. Looked at me like I shoulda warned him. Then marched past. :laughing:

4 Likes

I have eyebrows. :joy: Actually I have only a bit of thinning here and there. I shave most days, the whole head. Long story how I got started, but I’m happy being bald. It costs a few minutes more a day, but I never get a bad haircut and I never have to pay for one either.

Hats are important! I burn and scratch / abrade easily.

WH

3 Likes

Goodness Bluejay! You remind me to be grateful for my current long time stylist - apart from giving me an excellent cut every time she asks me everything about the haircut up front (and while I’m facing the mirror!) and then my hearing aids go out and we are silent until the end and my hearing aids go back in. Any occasional discussion is done facing the mirror and is strictly related to the haircut. And I know she can be chatty because I see her with other customers but I think she finds me a relaxing break :blush:

I actually cut and dyed my own hair between 14 and 22 in part for this exact reason, too much hassle and no way I wanted my parents around for every haircut :joy: After that my husband was usually around as we would get our hair cut at the same time and he would chat with them which helped a bit.

1 Like

Back on topic, I strongly prefer disposables for my own lifestyle which includes periods where even having a phone charged is not guaranteed and I have no worries that they will go away, at least in the higher powered segments of the market that I am part of.

If you are in the mild to moderate loss category it seems rechargeables would be worth trying - run times are longer and you may have more options and find an HA you love where the trade offs are worth it for you.

2 Likes

You are indeed lucky - and I so agree with your observation. Even the chatty need to re-charge! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I thank you all for your input.

I always remove my aids when getting a haircut because the barber will spray stuff to my hair and it can clog up the hearing aid microphone openings.

6 Likes

@Sconato I opted for the rechargeable telecoil version. It’s slightly larger, but it has a nominal 39 hours of battery time vs 28 hours for the standard model.

@1Bluejay WOW. I am amazed! How is it that Rexton figured out longer rechargeable battery life when Phonak’s are giving one no more than 17 hrs per day?

I can now report that 39 hours is not just propaganda. With the bluetooth on my phone turned off, and my Rexton telecoil hearing aids turned off at bedtime and turned on in the morning, with no recharging, the batteries functioned for EXACTLY 39 hours before shutting down.

1 Like

Sconato, you’ve made the right purchase decision! I wish Phonak would figure out how to make their rechargeable aids last longer between charges … I thought it was all about the MONEY. Since I couldn’t get through even 24 hrs with one pair of rechargeables, I was forced to buy another identical pair of rechargeables. Ka-ching!

Then, when I replaced my old Phonak TV Connector with the new Roger mic set-up (also rechargeable), I was talked into buying a redundant Roger mic for my 2nd set of aids. Phonak told me each pair needed its own dedicated Roger license.

Now that I’m back to the world of battery aids, I won’t be traveling abroad with ANYTHING rechargeable: not the aids, not the Roger mics. It’s like a step backwards, except that I feel so liberated by my new, lighter, less-cluttered/redundant solution.

2 Likes

Do you have a hearing aid program that works similar to the Roger Mic? Just wondering as you have the L90 tech so have more programs compared to my P70.

As far as I know (not being a Target DIYer) there is no dedicated program to replace the Roger mic. I’m probably at the 97% satisfied place with just the aids using AutoSense to do the needful in most situations.

I also use 2 dedicated programs 1.) Speech in LOUD Noise for noisy restaurants and 2.) Acoustic Phone to get a stereophonic phone experience even without BT.

Over time, I’m finding the Roger mics NOT that useful. I use mine placed next to a cell phone to hear speakerphone calls coming in (family members REFUSE to do Skype, cuz it’s easier to dial folks when in boring traffic or some other NOISY place where they want to kill time by catching up with us on a phone call. LOL.)

Recently, I swapped out the Roger mic for my old TV Connector cuz I found the Roger mic too shrill and harsh (like a public address megaphone). I’ve always found the OLD Connector’s sound quality better. Roger mic in a restaurant is a total WASH, as it picks up too much ambient sound even if my aids are in “mute” and audio just comes from the Roger. I don’t go to large events where I’d like to stick the mic in someone’s face to hear them. Ack! I’d just ask someone to repeat what they said.

I think the Lumity Life aids DO deliver on the speech comprehension improvement. Still haven’t found the best solution for speech comprehension in really LOUD places tho.

1 Like

Disposable batteries with the Dr Cliff show.

1 Like

If you keep your batteries in a special box at night (to protect from dust and to know for sure where they are), then it is no more trouble to place them in a charging box, which accomplishes the same end, while giving them a charge! It was a very easy transition for me.

2 Likes

Did you guys watch that video?

She is basically saying that new regulations have come into effect that are regulating the packaging for disposable batteries. You will now only be allowed to buy disposable hearing aid batteries in this new type of packaging that can only be opened with a pair of scissors. You actually have to cut out each battery one at a time.

You now have to carry around a pair of scissors.

Good grief…

JordanK

2 Likes

I have gotten several cards of lithium button batteries in the last few months and this packaging is incredibly frustrating. We don’t keep scissors where we store the batteries. I forget that and have to make multiple extra trips. The plastic is nasty and sharp once you’ve cut it. I can see older folks with fragile skin getting nasty cuts and tears from this stuff. And others will try ti use a knife and hurt themselves. Ugh.

WH

3 Likes

This is just one step towards completely banning disposable batteries.

2 Likes

Not hearing aid batteries, in case that isn’t clear to anyone.

2 Likes

I’ll just keep some empty existing cards, and do some transferring from scissor format, to the old cards every couple of months.

4 Likes

Curious if you have any reports of death or serious injury from zinc air batteries? Everything I’ve read suggest that they will likely pass without issue although swallowing them is certainly not recommended.
What I read of the law was confusing. Much of it seemed targeted at requiring a tool to remove the battery from the device. (The tragic event that is behind the law resulted from a child getting a lithium ion button battery out of a remote control) I saw something that suggested that hearing aids might be exempted from this requirement but am unsure.

2 Likes

The problem is with babies and toddlers and even pets, is what they say. Personally I haven’t had any first hand knowledge of it. It is all about a very few controlling the majority of people.

2 Likes