Discomfort in ears at high altitudes

Hello Forum,
I was wondering if any of you have experienced discomfort in your ears with a higher altitude? I am planning on visiting some friends in Bailey CO and the elevation is pretty high. I already experience discomfort when I’m on a plane and have to take Sudafed and spray Afrin in my nose for the altitudes.
I’m just wondering if this added issue will adversly affect my poor ears?? thanks!

1 Like

I live at 1250 feet, and when I come up from the valley below about a 600 feet difference my ears will pop or ring or both. It depends on the time of the year and the humidity.

Thanks. Does it go away quickly or does it affect you for awhile? What do you do (if anything) to avoid that? Has it bothered your ears on a continuous basis or affected your hearing?

I notice it but it no longer bothers me.

The ability to balance pressure in the ear is through a tube called the eustachian tube, which runs from your throat to the middle ear.
When you had you hearing test they probably did a test called tympanometry which measures the flexibility of that membrane. If there’s a problem it would show on that test. So if you haven’t heard any concern from your audiologist on that is expect your ability to balance to be normal. If you experience a feeling of pressure, try yawning, chewing gum, etc.
Generally the climb up a mountain is relatively slow so you have lots of time to adjust. Even if you fly the air pressure is controlled (generally to just under 10000 feet) in a gradual manner.
I think you have nothing to worry about…

2 Likes

If you’ve had challenges at elevation before, they’re likely to happen again and I’d use your standard treatment. Bailey is almost 8000 feet. I generally experience more discomfort when I’m descending. Except for the discomfort, it’s not a big deal and does not damage the ears. Just needs time for the air pressure to equalize.

2 Likes

This may sound ridiculous but have you tried chewing gum. Constant movement of the jaw bone helps to equal the pressure changes created in the inner ear from high altitude

3 Likes