Disappointing improvement

I got Jabra hearing aids from Costco about 5 months ago. Maybe I expect too much from them, but my hearing has improved overall by maybe 15%. I believe my hearing loss is probably due to degenerative aging effects in my temporal lobe rather than in my ears. I wonder how much benefit others have received from their hearing aids?

I’ve reached a point where Im dependent on my hearing aids.

I’ve had trouble with the ones I received two years ago because the vendor didn’t know how to set them up. I’ve found someone new, and now I can hear.

So setup is key I think. And the person setting them up is key too.

I just want to hear!

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Dave, thanks for the reply. You raised another issue I have had at Costco. When I got my HAs in June, the audio person told me they were setting up an initial frequency compensation for me that would let my brain accommodate and get used to the HAs, and that I should check back in a few months for an adjustment (which I assumed would be additional frequency compensation). I went back by the hearing aid department last week and asked if I needed to come in for an adjustment. The audio person just looked at me and asked what problem I was having. I reminded them that they had told me to check back in a few months for an adjustment. “Well, what issue are you having?” they asked. I said I wasn’t having a particular issue but I understood they were going to increase the compensation after a few months. “Well, you need to tell me what your problem is,” they said. I finally just left, frustrated. I am very, very disappointed with my experience with my Costco hearing aid department.

Did you have any HA programming adjustments after your initial fitting?

1 Like

I have been wearing aids for almost 20 years now. The proper adjustments are the key, and to get the proper adjustment it takes the right audiologist and the right patient being patient and capable of explaining to the audiologist what is working and what isn’t working. This combination can make the so so aids work like a dream but not having the correct combination the best aids ever created will just be a nightmare to deal with.

Posting your audiogram would help. Tell them you’re not hearing as well as you’d like and you’d like more gain. Ask if they’ve done Real Ear Measurement.

2 Likes

LOL. Says it all. These folks do NOT walk in our shoes. They may set up this, or recommend that, but they don’t hear the world as we do. Instead, they rely on metrics, algorithms, manufacturers’ literature, blah, blah. They are largely CLUELESS - even as they may want to help us.

In the end, we have to be our own advocate. We have to be persistant and articulate how we want to hear our world. Maybe we DON’T want aggressive noise management, or high freqs boosted. Maybe we want music with all its dynamic range, or perhaps we need help comprehending speech in LOUD places.

I totally feel for you. It’s so frustrating to be promised one thing, then hit a brick wall when you follow their directions and return to “make good” on that suggestion. Not meaning to slam Costco, but this is why I’ve always invested time and care into developing a strong working relationship with my audiologists. I’ve had many over the past 30+ years, and each one is like a marriage. I feel like I’m with them for life (until I relocate or they retire).

Don’t give up. Just put your thoughts on paper and return to tell them how you want to hear your world: more dynamic range, more bass, dedicated programs, etc., and if they can’t deliver, go elsewhere.

Hope you post an audiogram as MDB suggests!

@user844
I’ve had real issues for 2 full years. I worked hard with my audiologist. perhaps 10 visits? more?

At his request I found someone else. First setup with new practioner was magnificent. I asked for changes. They didn’t work. Don’t know why. So I went back a third time. He restored the first setup I can hear!

When I went home after the first setup my wife said:

• Night and Day difference; you can hear
  • What took you so long? (2 full years)

I’m afraid this has been a rant. @Neville helped me a lot. I don’t mean to badmouth audiologists at all. Secret is to find the right one.

We all have trouble understanding speech in noise. Maybe that would be a good issue to pick. Or find another COSTCO.

It seems like there was a failure to communicate to you as to what they expected you to do while in the adjustment period.

I would suggest you take notes for a week or two and write down in your words what is exactly isn’t working as it happens. The more detail you write down, the better result you are going to get. Then make an appointment with your hearing aid fitter and go over your notes with the fitter.

Ideally, Costco would have one of their chambers installed with a speaker setup in which they could play different sound environments to help fine tune the hearing aid. I know the Phillips Hearsuite has a program that can play some prerecorded sound environments, and I believe it can play sound environments that you have recorded.

Anyhow, if you think you have a medical issue, you should be seeing a ENT or audiologist. Costco doesn’t normally hire a medical professional to fit hearing aids.

You may have to go to an ENT and get a referral to an audiologist to get your health insurance to pay for the audiologist. Check with your health insurance.

By going to a medical professional, you should get an answer as to whether or not a hearing aid will work for you.

Note, you don’t have to buy your hearing aids from a medical professional. You can continue with Costco if you like.

Escalate, escalate… No joy, return them!

Oy, this sucks. I’m sorry.

Go back and tell them you want the hearing aids adjusted to 100% gain and verified to make sure they are hitting prescriptive targets. If they say “what’s your problem” again, tell them that you are only experiencing minimal benefit. Also, see if there’s a different provider that you can see.

Sounds like there was a failure in note taking, so that when you went back they had no idea what the treatment plan was. But also, I don’t love “check back in a few months”. They should have re-booked you if they wanted you back.

Why do you think this? And audiogram would help, but I bet it’s your ears. Although, yeah, it’s possible your expectations were too high. That’s common in the current climate of dramatic manufacturer marketting claims. But it does also sound like you are only set to 80% gain.

2 Likes

@Neville

Your responses always help me. Thanks for the time you take.

Way back I bought my first hearing aid. It was an in the ear Widex. I would have been much better off if COSTCO sold hearing aids 22 or so years ago. Here in Mississauga…

DaveL

(off topic. Sorry. My Burlington hearing aid provisioner has done an amazing job setting up my Paradise P90R’s. I can hear! Thanks for your help!)