Disappointed with phonak customer service-small rant

Not sure if this is only a user issue but I’ve been having some issues with my hearing aids buzzing, crackling, and such. I’ve also noticed that the T coil sucks! I’m unable to use the t coil in public spaces and if I use a neck loop it is barely audible unless I hold the wire directly to my aids. Maybe this is because my aids are a phonak level 30, and I definitely wish I would have known about this before purchasing since my 60 day trial period is very much Over. I also saw that on the order forms which had been updated since I got my aids the colors and such are still marked as available color options. Since I would have to send my aids in for repair anyway (I haven’t gotten around to it for months) I decided to call there customer representative line just to ask if the color exchange is something that can be done with the repair and the rep said she can’t give any information. As a consumer you would think that the company supplying devices that people rely on could answer a simple question. I also find that if they continue to advertise things such as a color or style that has been discontinued it should be taken off an order form option. I may just be very picky but it’s taken me almost a whole year to finally get programming right and get used to my aids.

Unfortunately the hearing aids companies see the hearing aid provider or audiologist as their customers, and we as the patient or the customer of the hearing aid providers, audiologists.

3 Likes

It sounds to me as if Phonak took customer service lessons from Phillips who made such a mess of their CPAP recall that the brand will take a long long time to regain any credibility with former customers.

I only got a replacement CPAP after a long effort to publicly shame them and note that the FAA requires data from CPAPs whether one is a commercial pilot or just a private pilot. I payed into them at every opportunity, wrote to the guy running the recall etc. Mysteriously, a replacement machine appeared at my door one day.

My suggestion: start making life a little miserable for them.

1 Like

When I was new to hearing aids, I had an issue and tried to contact the company and was bluntly told that I wasn’t their customer that my hearing aid provider was their customer and to contact my hearing aid provider and not keep disturbing them.

2 Likes

Im thinking of transferring providers to someone closer to me but that seems like it would be quite a challenge with how the service reps are.

1 Like

I’ve never found t coil to be anymore. I can’t hear with it unless I use my Oticon hearing aids.

It’s always been no good for me even with 70 or 90 level Phonaks.

1 Like

If I had known that I would have saved the extra money I spent

@DeafAntifa

What were you planning to buy?

Phonak service misses a valuable opportunity to reach out to US. We are the ultimate customer. There’s a thing called PULL marketing, and we can pull demand through our audis, so we shouldn’t be pushed aside.

That said, my own small rant is about their marketing: blatant BS! To trumpet the Phonak Lumity Life aids as WATERPROOF is rubbish! They have photo images and text all over online and printed brochures showing laughing, smiling seniors having a BALL in the water with their Lumity Life aids in. Do that and you’ll end up killing them PDQ. If your trial period is over, you’ll be flat out of an expensive pair of aids.

I don’t like being lied to or misled. Just tell me, “These aids are as water resistant as every other model out there, and you kayak, swim, stand in the rain or get your head wet at your own peril.” Just the facts.

3 Likes

As if I’d even WANT to risk letting my aids get wet because that would be an amazing way to be out of $3,000+

1 Like

@Zebras I would have probably gone up a tech level and get the marvel 50s or the Sky marvels

@DeafAntifa

It doesn’t change how t coil performs tho which was your question.

Phonaks (like the Audéo) have an IP68 rating, meaning they survive 1 h immersed in water. Maybe they do, but as you and others have pointed out, you don’t want to take chances with your 3 k$ HAs. There is probably a very good reason Phonak sticks a silica gel bag in its charging boxes. There is also a reason that my powerful living room stereo is three decades old and still working perfectly, when HAs typically last only a fraction of that. I don’t even wear HAs when I do things that make me sweat, and I agree- probably misleading advertising showing people with HAs in a pool.

1 Like

@cvkemp

You’re right! And that’s an incredible problem.
We are informed users here. However, that hasn’t helped me get what I need from my hearing aids.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

I am very fortunate to be getting my aids from the VA, Veterans Administration, and I have a very proactive audiologist. And the Oticon rep for the VA clinic I go to has been very open to talking with the veterans and answering questions. I am not sure about the other hearing aid companies’ reps.

1 Like

I wear an athletic sweat elasticized band if any activity calls for any king of sweating, works great.

Mine is also buzzing! but,it is only when I am using my landline phone! driving me nuts,I have to take the left hearing out of my ear,is is so bad,The aid guy said he didn’t think he could do anything about this,I said for him to think outside the box,

Do your aids have a form of “acoustic phone” program? That’s what my Phonak aids have (going back several models even). That “acoustic phone” is a TRUE lifesaver! I put my aids into that program, and I can pick up and use ANY kind of phone out there - landline or cell - and hear in stereo.

It’s almost as good as streaming a phone call. Ask your audi or maybe search the web to see if your aids have that option.

2 Likes