Directionality in Signia Silk 7 IX

Hi,
I am a new user of hearing aids. Do you know where I can find a description of how directionality works for Signia Silk 7 IX? A directionality diagram maybe?

Have you downloaded the app?

Yes.
It adjusts volume and, if I understand correctly, the frequency profile. There is nothing on directionality. Do I understand correctly?

All I could find was that you don’t have Augmented Focus in the silk as they are single mic (OneMic) so your limited on this, but you do get the directional for front focus (Signia claim they are the only one offering this in CIC form factor?) here’s a couple of screenshots, I couldn’t find a white paper for you that would explain exactly how it works.

Yes, they are single mic, but they do have directionality as a binaural feature, using mic of each HA, making it a two mic configuration.
You cannot manipulate the focus via app though as it’s a limited version of directionality.
It saddens me to say but going with the Silks you lose all the cool features of the IX platform.
I’ve used CICs HAs as a newbie, because I was worried about the looks, which was really dumb in retrospect and a huge mistake, for me.

1 Like

Thank you tenkan. It is much clearer for me. What I should focus on is to understand which are the directional adjustments compatible with CIC that can be done only by the hearing professional and (may be in the future) also by the hearing aide owner. By the way on which applications have been done the screenshots?

Thank you Reginald, it means that directionality is designed in. Hence the questions are: what can the hearing professional adjust? What can (now or in the future) be adjusted by the owner of the hearing aid? Looks: well, my wife insists about the looks, so that I comply for the moment :slight_smile:

The app that he’s using is called Connexx, it’s used by hearing pros to program the HAs (you also need a special device to connect the HAs to the computer).

Going with Completely in Canal model you lose all directionality settings, you can just turn it on and off.
You also lose OwnVoice processing where it knows your voice and “protects” it from over amplification (amongst other things, it also helps to detect when you’re talking with someone).
Plus you lose their new, advanced speech in noise processing, where it can track and pull in front of you multiple voices.

What’s left, is multiple programmes (6 max) for various situations, each can be customised.
Dynamic Soundscape processing where you can decide how much of the environment should be let in (sounds further from you) which in turn will put sounds closer to you more in focus (meaning conversations).
Speech-In-Noise management strength can be changed per programme.
And of course amplification of sounds can be adjusted quite precisely (20 'bands").

All of this can only be done via Connexx.

My advice would be to get some “frequency generator” app, where you can go through whole frequency range up to 10khz and listen to any significant dips in legibility, then correct them.

1 Like

There’s a tone generator as well that can be used.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

1 Like

Thanks, I had a look and shall use it.

Thanks, Reginald, I see the picture. I shall schedule an appointment with the hearing pro, which I am not. However, I worked on audio signal processing and in IT, which will help me prepare for the appointment. Do you know if the Connexx user manual is available somewhere online? A detailed description of the 6 programs would improve my clarity in the discussions with the hearing pro.

This is what’s avaiable to you, most of them are self explanatory:

Bear in mind that fitters nowadays are advised to limit their use and stick to Universal as it should be smart enough and adapt (it is not). Plus they will adapt via Dynamic Soundscape processing, which has 4 automatic modes: Quiet, Music, Noisy and Car.
Another thing is that some programs work with directionality, which in your case is limited, so I wouldn’t focus on them too much.
Some of them are actually redundant and unnecessary, for example “Reverberant Room” as 7AX levels and Costco’s’ offering have it built in for all programs nowadays.
obraz