Dire need of help. Would Alead Livemic 2 make a difference?

Hi, first post here. In desperate need of help and suggestions. Have been a HA user for 6 years or so. Current are outdated Unitron Insera T600 ITC. I started a new job working in coutrooms three weeks ago. Dreadful acoustics - large rooms, high ceilings, all blank walls. Within 10 minutes it was obvious my hearing with the aids just isn’t good enough.

Went straight to my audiologist in tears. I have tried a pair of Oticon Intents for a week and now a pair of Starkey Genesis. And wow - at home, out and about, what a difference. I had no idea i was missing so much. BUT, and a massive but, despite my audiologists optimism I am still struggling in the coutrooms.

Judge who is sitting behind and much higher than me, i have to concentrate so hard to hear. Those in front and to the side are hit and miss, especially when they speak quickly. Even someone face to face i couldn’t make a word out of their question to me. More tears.

Two courts have a loop system, but i haven’t been in these to see if they are the answer to my prayers.

So kind people, is there anything i can do before i throw in the towel. I do want to buy some more aids but the extra expense of add ons is simply not an option.

I have seen a couple of people mention the Alead LiveMic. This is cheap enough to try if it doesn’t work. Can anybody help on this.

1.Does it connect directly to my aids, or do i have to go through my phone?

1. Given the acoustics of the room appears to be the issue. Will I still get the same problems using a microphone.

Thanks in advance. A thoroughly fed up and demoralised 60 year old lady.

1 Like

Your struggles are common ones. Even the very best aids cannot replace normal hearing. I have been wearing aids for 20 years and have to say aids are getting better but they can only help so much. I will also say that an audiologist can make or break how good aids are fitted, but the audiologist cannot hear what you hear so you have to be able to explain to your audiologist what you are experiencing. And the audiologist has to be patient and willing to listen and pay attention to what you tell him or her. Also it would really help to see your audiogram.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I am coming to the conclusion that i will never be able to hear all I need to in the courtroom environment. It is very dispiriting. All the tweaks in the world are not going to give me ‘normal’ hearing. Hence asking about the microphone option. The ‘lecture theatre’ setting on the Oticon aids was actually worse than the general setting. It doesn’t help that the background heating/air con is overwhelming.

I don’t have a copy of my audiogram - not routinely given out in the UK maybe. But i do know it drops down from left to right - the far right being borderline moderate/severe.

My last hope really are the two coutrooms with the loop coil system, but not holding my breath.

@DangerBun Out of curiosity, what is your day to day job in the courtroom?
Could you move to another area within the judiciary system?

1 Like

I am an usher. So with the court clerk effectively ‘run’ the coutroom. A lot of what I need to be able to do is anticipating and acting on cues from the judge. With deficient hearing i simply can’t do it. Yes, my manager should be able to help and accommodate my disability but with the best will in the world, if i can’t hear well enough due to the acoustics then there is really nothing they can do. Whether they can move me elsewhere is as yet unknown.

Does the court room have a loop system that you could use the t-coils with, if so that can be a real help. I can not speak to external mics as a help, other than the fact I have the connect clip and at times i set it up and give it to my wife so i can hear her in a noisy restaurant. But I can’t see that hearing you in a court room.

If you depend on the judge’s instruction, maybe ifbthe judge is willing to wear the connect clip it could help, but the drawback is that you will not be able to always hear anyone else’s instructions.

I am not familiar with courtrooms, but would you say that your daily job is 50% communication and 50% administration (emails, printing, copying, etc…)?

For communication, I suppose you could link your hearing aids to the courtroom’s audio system, assuming:
1- Judge has a microphone enabled.
2- Both prosecution and defendants teams have microphones as well.
3- Witness stand has microphone too

You could in this circumstance use a TV connector linked to the courtroom’s audio system and get the audio directly to your HA, in lieu of the hearing loop.

Not sure if microphones are a legal requirements in the disability act, maybe @kevels55 can give us some info, but I assume nowadays most courtrooms have microphones and audio system installed!!!

Also, since you’ve tried Oticon Intent and Starkey Genesis AI, which one stands out to you?

Thx

House of parliament suspended microphones:

Courtroom microphones:

procedures-documents

1 Like

Hi, the ushers role is pretty much all communication. There is very very little admin involved.
The judge and the barristers do have microphones - for the benefit of the jurys. I doubt very much that those could be linked to HA’s but i will ask the system.
There are a couple of hearing loop/headphone sets for HOH witnesses and defendants but this doesn’t feel like an acceptable option for me.

1 Like

PS.
Am preferring the Intent I think. But they are both so much better than my current ones I would be happy with either.

1 Like

I think if the judge and barristers have microphones, they must be linked to an audio system, where you could potentially tap-in and get the audio directly to your hearing aids, but you will need to get a TV connector and pair it to your hearing aids, also, you might need an authorisation from the judge to do so, it is feasible, and this will take care of the judge and the barristers and the witnesses and and the jury.

I assume you’ve been given a TV connector with your new hearing aids, if not, you could get them through your workplace, so you won’t need to pay for it.

2 Likes

Thank you. That is really useful info. Will investigate.
I have been told one of the barristers uses a microphone on the judges bench.
The coutrooms are work in are pretty identical in layout to the second picture down.

1 Like

Microphones are common nowadays, it is an investment for the judiciary system, but I suppose it should be mandatory as part of the disability act.

That means for you is getting a better hearing aids, in the meantime, if you could enquire about the audio system in the courtroom, that will give you a better idea.

Below oticon TV adaptor:

One thing to consider is the range of the TV adaptor, not sure if it is 15 meterse!

1 Like

Might want to find out if Access to Work will fund a Roger system for the bench. Also consider that there’ll be a new Phonak product out in August which will work with it and possibly full LE audio.

5 Likes

There are various options @DangerBun as @Um_bongo suggested, contact “Access To Work”… ATW, usually joint fund with your employer, in this case the court system, Roger systems are expensive! I believe the last time I was in court, as a witness, they had an FM system, approximately 15 years ago, technology has moved on! Since your aids aren’t Phonak, the same manufacturer as the Roger system, does your Starkey aids have telecoil? If so, then a Roger NeckLoop Type (03), would work in conjunction with, perhaps 2 or 3 Roger Table Mic 2’s linked together would work, around £3k for 2, but perhaps the best kit out there? Access To Work would talk you through the options, also speak to Human Resources of the Criminal Justice system, they will have had employees in a similar situation, with hearing disability issues, they probably have a designated officer, perhaps several, whom deals with this sort of thing, who can walk you through the various options, so don’t worry, you will get sorted, it will take a few months, but it will happen, the quicker you get the ball rolling, the sooner it will happen…Like any other employer, reasonable adjustments have to be made for any employee with a disability, a Roger system would be considered as such… Good Luck, Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Would speech in echo help?
@Zebras

@michael1

I would go for speech in echo, myself. It’s exactly what I have issues with.

If no speech in echo, the OP should try and make a manual program that works better in those situations.

I would need a huge amount of Roger Table Mic II for it to work for me but if Access to Work can help, then it’s a bonus.

2 Likes

@DangerBun , If you try Phonak the 90 range has comfort in echo which may help.

Any more info on Phonak’s new product in August? Would this be a replacement for Lumity?

1 Like

@DangerBun Just for information, Roger accessories work with new Phonak hearing aids without additional tools apart from licenses.
But with other hearing aids marks you will need extra tool for it to work in addition to licenses.

Here is an example of roger table mic ii:

Roger On:

Roger Select:

======================

If the courtroom has an AV (Audio Video) system, you could use those roger or a TV connector to stream audio directly to your hearing aids.

Note that the stream should be secure out of the box, so I suppose there is no privacy issues!

2 Likes