Difference between linear, semi-linear and prescribed on Phonak Naida S UP III

Can anyone explain to me what’s the difference between linear, semi-linear and prescribed compression on Phonak Naida S UP III?

I used to be on prescribed and I didn’t like it due to the confusion to have between tone and bass, and also it is loudness which is impossible for me to use speech. My audiologist put me on linear, in which it sounded great but only one small problem I have is that it sounded to have too much sharp like to have high frequencies. Is it possible that I should be on semi-linear? Should I go for feedback to reduce this problem or get filtered ear hook? Linear compression is pretty cool when I can hear soft sound.

It would be kind to send your thoughts about this and share any advice from you before I visit my audiologist for next appointment that is on Monday.

Thank you in advance.

Jason Torres

Hi!

First of all, consider removing your personal data (name, doctor’s name, etc) from the uploaded file… It’s always a good idea to remain anonymous on the Internet.

• Linear compression: It makes the hearing air behave more like an analog hearing aid.
  • Semilinear: Something inbetween linear and prescribed.
  • Prescribed: The exact amount of compression for each band calculated for your specific hearing loss.

About dynamic range compression:

A person with normal hearing can hear a range of 20 to ~110 dB for each “band” of frequency (90dB of dynamic range), while a person with 50 dB loss can only hear from 70 to ~110 dB (only 40dB of dynamic range).

That means that the sound should be compressed, or squeezed to fit the dynamic range of a hearing aid wearer. There are several ways to do that: linear, semi-linear, and prescribed.

Linear: a simple rule of three. The most naïve approach.
Prescribed: The exact amount of compression using some fancy maths and algorithms.
Semi-linear: Something inbetween.

If you are a long term analog hearing aid user, you may want a linear compression at the begining, then move on to semi-linear and finally to prescribed compression. That’s what roughly happened to me.

But however, I see that you have a profound hearing loss, and your audiologist may explain that better to you, because he or she may be more knowledgeable of your specifics.

Regards!

2 Likes

Absolutely I will take care of it immediately. Thank you for informing me about it. I really do love linear and I am on calm situation single program only. I do wonder if SoundFlow supports linear? Some audiologists would say no because analog is supposed to be like linear with calm situation. I have no idea if Linear with SoundFlow would give me great benefit or stay with linear on calm situation only. Thanks again. =)

have you tried bone conduction hearing aid for your left ear?

I used to have cochlear implant in right ear and had been removed due to my personal reason. I am more interested to know whenever if SoundsFlow can accept linear or not and will I have benefit from SoundFlow instead of Calm Situation.

— Updated —

I used to have cochlear implant in right ear and had been removed due to my personal reason. I am more interested to know whenever if SoundsFlow can accept linear or not and will I have benefit from SoundFlow instead of Calm Situation.

I think that you’re confusing some terms…

• SoundFlow is the term that Phonak gives to the automatic program which switches between subprograms depending on the environment.
  • Calm Situation, Speech in Noise, Speech in Car… are some of the programs that SoundFlow can choose.

Your audi can always change the compression settings. He/she can choose linear, semi-linear or prescribed, based on your personal preferences. There is even the posibility of fine tuning the compression.

I was searching for an answer on the difference between the 3 compression ranges and found your answer. I’ve been at semi-linear for the last 5 years, and I’m in the process of adjusting to my new aids. I still feel (hear) more comfortable with the semi compression, but you mention that you adjusted to the prescribed over time. May I asked how long this took you? I’m wondering if I should worked toward this to get the most benefit off my aids (Phonak Naida UP) and allow my brain to adjusts.

— Updated —

I was searching for an answer on the difference between the 3 compression ranges and found your answer. I’ve been at semi-linear for the last 5 years, and I’m in the process of adjusting to my new aids. I still feel (hear) more comfortable with the semi compression, but you mention that you adjusted to the prescribed over time. May I asked how long this took you? I’m wondering if I should worked toward this to get the most benefit off my aids (Phonak Naida UP) and allow my brain to adjusts.

2 Likes

This is an old but valuable thread. I have always been on linear and it worked for me but soft sounds were not that good. Then I went to compression and soft sounds are good but bass/speech isn’t that much. I have always felt that with my type of severe to profound loss, a semi-linear mode will be best. Signia C&G X Pro doesn’t have this option, so I am thinking of trying Phonak Naida Paradise P90-UP on semi-linear mode.

1 Like

This is an old thread but just today my HIS adjusted my Phonak Lumity L90R Life Hearing aid to Semi Linear Compression. He do this adjustment due to the fact that I couldn’t make out what someone was saying when o was standing on the other side of a small desk at the optometrist, getting new glasses fit. He then adjusted for Semi Linear Compression. Does this seem right based on my audiogram? He adjusted from 750 to 1500. He said instead of being 1:1 ratio mine has been bumped up to ~ 1:1.5 ratio. He first do REM per se. He did some computer program with my HAs in snd it was screeching sounds. When asked about that he said it measured my ear canals. I’ve had that done w/ other Audi’s but also the real REM with loop on your ear and tickling ribbon in your ear. Any advice would be appreciated.