Determining authenticity of hearing aid purchase

For those people who have purchased aids online, how do you determine authenticity and ensure that they are not used or refurbished? I assume there is a serial number. Does the purchaser “register” the aid or is that done by the provider? Is there anyway to double check and ensure a pair of aids are not pre-owned or counterfeit? Am thinking of Widex HA in particular.

@SigoEsperanza For Phonak you can use their program (Target) and check for the dates.
For other manufacturer I have no idea.

1 Like

I think your “over thinking” there’s no such thing as
“counterfeit” all hearing aids come factory “sealed” those that are not are likely to be “Grey market” you can easily check the serial numbers with the manufacturer or through any clinic (well those that are willing to help anyway)
If your buying online and the seller is offering the factory warranty get the serial numbers before buying, seems you can only check the warranty in target for HAs sold in the USA.
If your really this concerned maybe online isn’t something you would happy with?

1 Like

“Online” is a pretty broad category. Buying from a licensed telehealth provider is different from buying a used paid sold by the late owner’s grandkid on ebay. For the former, I know Phonak (and probably other manufacturers) view the audiologist rather than the end user as their customer. They go out of their way to make it difficult for users to do any of that themselves, though it can often still be done. For the latter, it is what it is, which is why it’s generally a lot cheaper than the former.

I am definitely not buying on Ebay. More like a company ala Fit Hearing (no instore support but have audiologists/hearing techs).

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. I have read that some people have had aids confiscated when sent into a manufacturer for repair because they were not in fact the registered owners…

I don’t have a choice re online. I want a specific aid that is not sold or supported locally and not offered through a hybrid company like Zip hearing regionally. I spoke to them and can’t get a referral. I have some other threads re this issue.

What is “target”? Some sort of portal for industry peeps?

Yes it has happened, but not for not being the “registered owner” anyone can “own” a hearing aid, no they get confiscated because they were either reported as stolen or replaced under the lost/damage insurance.

Ha ha, na it’s just the Phonak software used for programming ones HAs, very handy to have if you intend to buy Phonak online.

1 Like

What hearing aid are you interested in?

The Widex Moment Sheer. They seem made to order for my needs and relatively mild hearing loss and I am hoping to get something out of the tinnitus support. I listened to sound clips and one tone in particular seemed to knock out my tinnitus for a short period of time. And it is also my understanding that aids will possibly help with it irrespective of specialized programming.

I owned a widex, and when it broke down, the manufacturer told me it was a lost insurance model and refused to provide me with repair service. So please research its origin before purchasing!

This is something which is unavoidable for all goods you buy, not only HA’s. Next to that HA’s are often paid by health insurances and so contractually owned full or partially by them, so not for sale until amortisised or agreed.

1 Like