Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

Hi Ruth, thank you for that information, the NHS told me a year, he said to make sure, I reorder moulds within the year, or I would have to get another impression done… Unfortunately, I forgot :upside_down_face: Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

It might be a year for NHS as they pay so little.

I haven’t had NHS ear moulds in a very long time as got so fed up of them not fitting and having to go back multiple times and they still didn’t fit well.

2 Likes

Bluetooth Classic chews a ton of battery power compared to the low power Bluetooth in Made for iPhone connected devices. That is why you only get 18 hours with Lumity vs 30-50 in other MFi hearing aids. That being said, the signal strength and reliability is much better with Bluetooth classic. It’s a trade off.

Jordan

5 Likes

I suspected this, but his overall fees were around £900, and overall cost £3000, so entirely happy with this. If I manage to source anoth pair of Phonak RIC aids for my loss, I will explore the Boots avenue though :slight_smile:

Thanks again Ruth and Kev, for great info.

Peter

2 Likes

@MDB
I appreciate your comment.

My two year old Paradise P90R’s have rechargeable batteries. I haven’t been happy with their performance.

After reading your note, I realized that my “day” has changed.

• I work longer now. More hours in the day.
  • Some days I stream for video conferences . Those “days” the rechargeable battery is flat after about 6 hours’ use. I need to recharge or I can’t hear a thing for the rest of the day.

If I had replaceable batteries I wouldn’t have noticed. I always had spare batteries with me.

Thanks for your comment.

@DaveL
6 hours is awful. Personally, I think Phonak have rolled this out, as their default, before they’ve sorted out their power management. Starkey seem to be ahead of the game

3 Likes

I agree that it uses a lot of energy but then I’d expect big jumps in performance when I turned off all Bluetooth features. Instead went from 16 to 18 hours. Nothing like double to triple the battery life other brands are providing with their latest tech.

1 Like

That seems bad enough to justify warranty service, and I think you should be a very squeaky wheel in asking for one specific thing under warranty, namely replacing your aids with a 312 set. You probably expect little or nothing from Phonak because of your past experience. But unlike fixing a bad fitting, this is squarely within their scope of responsibility, and it probably won’t cost them a cent more than giving you another rechargeable set.

2 Likes

He got them through workers comp early replacement special request. It seems unlikely that phonak would do that for him on a first repair, having already dramatically discounted the hearing aids, wereas they might with a private pay patient.

1 Like

Thanks Neville.
I’m delighted to have them. they make it safe because I hear behind well.

I manage my work day. I schedule construction site visits carefully. I don’t go on meeting days. When
I have to I book time off.

I’m still getting complaints I am not hearing well.

Your new provider still hasn’t run REM?

Yes, precisely cuz I can not tolerate any kind of acrylic mould; also, my darn ears swell UP and go down from morning to night, so any kind of hard, custom mold wouldn’t fit right for hours of the day. That is why I hesitate at “the final frontier” - titanium.

2 Likes

Keep in mind WHO is saying that. Only you know. If it’s a broad spectrum of people, yes, further tinkering is called for. But if it’s just ONE or TWO people, y’gotta write them off as outliers.

Those people either speak in a frequency that your ears can’t process, or they insist on talking to your back, or saying you don’t hear in LOUD places (like few do), or they purposely mutter cuz it’s a power thing. I kid you not. With my Lumity Life aids SO MUCH better, and me hearing WAY better even when the person isn’t in the same room as me, there are those significant others who put it to the test.

Y’gotta walk in our shoes to know what I’m saying.

3 Likes

How are you streaming? On a laptop? Over a cell phone? My rechargeable “day” went from just 11 hours to 17.5 hours by just downloading OS 13 on my Android Samsung Galaxy Flip-4 phone. It could be some other technology is impacting the total “day” for your rechargeables.

1 Like

I use streamers on my computers so I can stretch my battery life out. BT gobbles batteries far faster than a streamer or a Roger mic.

WH

1 Like

I was just reading about using the Roger ON iN exactly as you describe. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought about that. My Phonak Lumity Life aids are paired + connected to my laptop. But if I just plug the charging base into a USB port on the laptop, I’d get that streaming without BT (from what I understand). I may give that a try. The MacBook Pro I use only has USB-C ports, but I have plenty of dongles I can connect from laptop to Roger base.

2 Likes

If the acrylic don’t work, I will order Titanium
[/quote]

I wish you the BEST OF LUCK with the acrylic! That material (even the pink-tinted “hypoallergenic” kind turned my ears into flaming, burning lobster claws in 8 hrs. I did better with the firm silicone, but still had too much itching and burning. My ears swell up no matter what I do, so every morning, I have to jimmy and shimmy the soft, double-dome silicone tips into my ear canals.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply @1Bluejay, time will tell if the soft acrylic work? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Well I got the Naida L90-UP a couple of days ago and the learning curve begins. Roger ON was connected to it. I had a booth session just before the fitting to get the current position of deterioration - it had been years since I had one. Will get a copy of it in a couple of weeks when I’m back at the shop. I am not approaching this as a trial - this is it. This is Phonak - it ties in with my Roger equipment - I have a new fitted mold we will and see what develops.
First impression - my left ear has not heard volume like this in a lot of years. It will take my brain a bit to adapt to the new sound and get comfortable with a certain setting. One thing for sure - adapting to the new aid will be much quicker that adapting to my cochlear implant was.Cheers
I have the MyPhonak app on my phone and It looks good. The volume adjustment slider has some numbers beside it so I can easily go back to where I like it. There are three main settings easily selected. Automatic, Restaurant and Music. Tried out the music setting at a concert in a church on Saturday. It’s better than I am used to but I do find anything in the old fashioned high peak churches is very tough to hear properly - its an echo chamber. I also have the myRogerMic app.Itjust puts all the different settings on a bigger screen so I suppose it will be handy. Cheers.

8 Likes

WOW that is inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing this Time Machine leap into the latest tech out there.

1 Like