Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

I was not trying to imply that. Simply that I prefer the KS10 to phonak

Yes I do use a baby monitor but I still use the hearing aids because I worry I won’t hear the monitor. But I appreciate the recommendation. Love to hear ideas

1 Like

Yes and no. If you need an UP BTE, it’s going to use disposable 675 batteries because rechargeables just don’t have enough power. And if you want some of the latest technology that requires higher voltage, then you’re going to find it only in rechargeable hearing aids. So there is some correlation between battery type and hearing aid features. However I’d agree that one is not going to sound inherently better because of the battery type.

2 Likes

In my experience @MDB , a BTE UP will always sound richer & fuller than any sound scope produced via a RIC aid… But as always, YMMV… Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

Umm, there was a long discussion about this a while back. I researched the tiny accelerometers that are used for tap detection and such. Didn’t just look at spec sheets myself, also consulted a friend who designs and manufactures consumer electronics. Bottom line is they are available to work at zinc-air voltage. Are you referring to a different technology, and a technology relevant to hearing quality vs. auxiliary features?

“Hearing quality” and features seem really hard to separate. I’d agree one could define a difference but when I look at discussions on this forum many revolve around the quality of the app or streaming. I’m not an engineer, but I believe @Um_bongo (who has an engineering background) stated that some newer features (I’m not sure if that’s right word) require higher voltages. Phonak had different features on their rechargeables vs disposables, but I guess depending on one’s perspective that’s part of their grand plot to eliminate disposables.
Found the post I was thinking of: Continuing the discussion from Oticon More: Rechargeable vs. disposable batteries::

It’s an engineering issue: more volts and more amps equals more functions in your current chip and more transmission ability with your aerial circuits.

Or you have to redesign the chip to do the same stuff more frugally on less energy. (Hello Starkey Genesis)

I’m not sure if we’re there yet, but I did read about Hybridised Analogue/Digital processing that basically leaves the analogue stream alone while side processing the digital signal and just ‘tuning’ the output with the digital enhancements. This seems to relieve the digital side of the heavy lifting wrt amplifying the signal while still offering the extra benefit of a bit of machine learned tuning.

2 Likes

Where did you get this information from? I hope it happens!

1 Like

Interesting peek back in time. I don’t think I was active on the forum right then. The discussion about accelerometers came much later. From that research it’s clear to me that Phonak didn’t omit accelerometer-based functions (motion sensor and tap) from the Paradise RIC because of voltage or power constraints. Did they do it for another technical reason, or was it for business reasons? Your guess is as good as mine.

From the current thread:

Zinc-air batteries have the highest energy density, by mass and by volume. Energy in the smallest and lightest possible package is what hearing aids need. It’s true that current draw (power) limits in disposable batteries have been a limiting factor in HA design. But the battery industry came out with higher-current 675 batteries to meet the needs of implant processors. So it seems that the current draw limits aren’t a fundamental feature of the chemistry, rather a design and construction issue.

Sounds like a good idea Kev. I checked with my local hearing aid guy today and he said the new Naida Lumity is now available in the Toronto area too so I ordered one and will get it in 2 weeks also. Not worried about the 675 battery - I use those every day in my Cochlear implant in the other ear which takes 2 batteries at a time. I currently use the Zenipower brand. I also will be able to connect with my Roger ON as my earlier Naida does. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

You are welcome @rsinclair123… Hopefully all goes well, and please let us know how you get on with the Naida Lumity… Cheers Kev :smile:

1 Like

I’m using the Lumity with a cros receiver. So far 12 hours is the max I can get with it. I can get through a day at work but if I’m out after work on a Friday I am now using my old hearing aids part way through the day and then swapping to the Lumity.

Feels like these will be going back within the 90 day trial.

4 Likes

This is fresh. I never heard this before. Phonak do this? they defeature on 312 battery version because of this?

What about Oticon/Dermant brands? They both have 312 and rechargeable.

I know some chips and technology need some voltage and power to operate. But I never really thought about this.

This means I want cutting-edge technology and better sound. I will need a rechargeable version.

But 16 hours of daily use is still not enough. Let’s alone battery life degradation and holding charge at 80% after XXXX charges. Expect to hold charge for 10–12 hours after 2 or 3 years. This is actually awful.

Some may argue “Hey, you can charge your smartphone every night; why not hearing aids?”.

Came from a 312 battery that was able to be used for 3-4 days straight… that still awful.

4 Likes

It isn’t new. Here’s my response:

1. I think this belief originated with Phonak’s omission of touch and motion based features from the 312 and 13 versions of the Paradise RIC. I researched the tiny accelerometers used for these features, and concluded that voltage and current limitations aren’t a credible reason for omitting them from those versions.

2. The posts on theoretical advantages of higher voltage are about theory, not practice.

3. Disposable batteries’ peak current output limits do restrict hearing aid designers, particularly in the area of Bluetooth and streaming AFAIK. But when manufacturers of implants needed more output than even 675 hearing aid batteries could provide, battery makers came through with 675 implant batteries. So it seems that disposable batteries can be improved, if the HA manufacturers want them to be.

It isn’t a good argument. Smartphones are consumer electronics devices. Hearing aids are prostheses:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=874&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:8.0.1.1.24.4

Hearing aids have been powered by disposable zinc-air batteries for years. The technology is well-established, and so is the supply chain. Smartphones are available only with rechargeable batteries.

5 Likes

12hours. Wow. Sorry to hear that.

You couldn’t have said it better! My exact conversation with my HA provider. Mine lasts about 15 hours before the dreaded warning chime and yes, it does cause stress because of the “what ifs”.
I like to stream Audiobooks during the day and TV at night plus some phone calls during the day. My family all lives out of state in different areas of the country so I definitely want to “keep in touch”.
It was suggested that I try not streaming as much :roll_eyes:.
I was concerned about this very thing when I thought about buying new HAs when the Paradise came out and decided to wait since my current HA were working “ok”.
I finally broke down and purchased the Lumity plus both the new small charger and the old charger that has a power pack attachment, “just in case” of power outages.
I’m 4 weeks into the 45 day return period and I discussed all of this with the provider yesterday, including purchasing the older Paradise that has the disposable battery option instead of rechargeable. If Lumity had this my problem would be solved. I don’t mind changing the batteries every 4-5 days and have the peace of mind but it’s not offered with Lumity😕.
I’ve used Phonak for many years and really like the brand and trusted it but between the rechargeable battery and the “glitchy” app, where do I go from here?
Any ideas would be appreciated!!

5 Likes

Lumity is supposed to be coming out with 312 battery version “soon.” I’d ask your audi about it. App got a recent update I believe. I suspect apps will always be relatively glitchy.

2 Likes

Bluetooth does use a lot of battery. If you stream using the TV connect or through a Roger device you might get a few more hours a day. But, agree it is a problem. Depending on your hearing lumity is more advanced than going backwards to paradise.

Wish I could highlight a response. I completely agree! Sorry you’re having a tough time. It’s frustrating when great tech feels within reach but isn’t in reality. Good luck with it.

1 Like