Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

By the way, recently my left Phonak Lumity L RT 90 started to discharge very quickly. It’s not the one that connects to other devices via Bluetooth (that being the right one) so it’s even more strange.

What I suspect is that the new regulation the audiologist did after my last hearing test could be responsible. Is that possible?
In my last hearing test, my left hear proved to have gotten worse than the right in the low frequencies, so Phonak Target adjusted to the new audiogram, and I’m guessing that the new settings consume much more power…

But, even if that’s the reason, energy consumption seems exaggerated on the left HA.

What do you guys think?

Could be the new settings but hard to say without seeing your loss profile. The audiologist may have also switched the connection hearing aid to the left side. You can change this in Target. Could also also be a defective battery. I would go back to the audiologist and ask.

Jordan

2 Likes

Here is an interesting question. If I turn off the tracking of Health Data in the app will this extend the battery life?

Anyone try this?

Jordan

Always had it off and the battery is still average…

1 Like

Maybe If we don’t inundate him with negativity…It would be nice to have an ongoing Q & A with him, but to be fair…He got slammed here (We have done this before with other peeps)…Let us choose to be NICE and courteous…You never know who else is lurking…Lets give these guys a chance when & if they come back…
That’s my 2 cents worth.
Dan

11 Likes

@danhuddleston If he is a snowflake, then maybe an option to go easy on him, but looking at how much money we’ve spent on their products, I struggle to go easy on anyone, if it was free, maybe, again, nothing is free, I could be the product.

On another note, see this thread from reddit, and see if people were easy on that systems engineer (I suspect he works for Starkey, but I could be wong):

2 Likes

My point was not that he was a snowflake, rather that we could choose to be civil about it. Running him off serves no one. Having him here serves us all. Lets say he is here for a year and during that year he “hears” us and brings 1 thing to the manufacturers of his brand…What a win that would be for all! We can make our collective points without being mean about it. Choose to be nice! Nothing lost…Polite is free!
Best regards,
Dan

7 Likes

@danhuddleston Not sure where your comments come from, but here is some info for you:

-In 9 years he had 12 minutes read and maybe at most 2 comments.
-His last comment was on this thread, which I suspect he works for Phonak.

Apart from maybe 1 person who is absolutely gone ballistic regarding some option that Phonak has decided to not include in their latest platform, I don’t see anyone who have had a negative comment toward the “Phonak’s Michael”.

Also, if he goes to hibernation or not, it doesn’t change the fact that this forum isn’t in his trillion year radius from his Deep Neural network, so to expect some Q&A from him is in the realm of the impossible, a wishful thinking, unless… :thinking:

Also, assuming he isn’t in the management, then he is used to negative comments, like most of us, but if he is in the management, then I suppose it is time to remind him that his management are paid by US the consumers, and if he can’t handle criticisms, then there are others who will be glad to take on his job.

Nothing personal, @danhuddleston I’ve got your point :+1:t3:, you are entitled to your 5th amendment like anybody-else.

1 Like

deleted
deleted and now I’ve hit 20 characters

@DaveL says that using a saved program that has the Clarity option set uses up battery much faster than usual. Is Clarity just equalizer settings? If so, then Phonak sure seems to have software issues. Maybe not in the actual sound processing (e.g. the DSP operations), but rather in a software design that causes excess operating system overhead like context switches. This is based on my general software experience. I know nothing about hearing aid software.

I suspect that program has a dmic boost. Just boosting high frequency gain isn’t typically enough to see an impact on battery life, or we’d see a big battery difference in the patients we fit to DSL and the patients we fit to NL2, which we do not. It’s also possible that the app “clarity” button is also boosting some other things (speech enhancer?) but I hadn’t thought so. Even if it were, it’s usually the ear-to-ear functions that eat the battery.

1 Like

I’ve gotten the impression from @DaveL’s posts on this subject that high battery drain is associated with using a saved program with Clarity set, not just setting Clarity. I could be wrong.

I’d have to see the program settings. :man_shrugging:

Hi there, I read through your long trial post. I am trialing the Lumity 90 with a cros setup and if lucky will get 12 hours with normal use. E.g no heavy streaming. And no battery in the charger is a bummer. David

1 Like

If this is a real issue, and 16-18 hours of battery life is not enough, you need a brand whose battery life is a closer match to your lifestyle. My guess is that the current battery life fits 90% of users, of all ages. I would definitely recommend 15-20 minutes of charge time in the afternoon or early evening. You could take the charger with you, or have a spare, and a $20 power bank for those nights when you have later than normal activities.

no, you can’t charge during the day while you are at work…

1 Like

It’s with any saved program…on my Phonaks not-quite-Paradise P90R’s.

Welcome to the forum!

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. I don’t have Cros. I do use my phone during the day. I’m hard pressed to get from 7:00 am to 11:00 or so. I work late, and long days.

I don’t listen to music.

Just saying how long my batteries last. I wouldn’t choose them again.

I would carry a battery brick and keep my charger handy if I had to with a setup like yours.

1 Like

@Don Out of curiosity, why the statement above?
I thought the whole idea of hearing aids is to help us hear, if phonak’s HA do a good job hearing-wise, why then go to another manufacturer, which will be another learning curve (result not guaranteed, or it could be better/worst, 50/50 lottery), just for the sake of longer battery life!
Isn’t it wise to just stick to the previous (current that works well) generation until new HA with disposable batteries from Phonak comes to light? I mean there is nothing wong with Paradise platform.

2 Likes

My Paradise P90’s have rechargeable batteries. I didn’t pick them (Long story)

Do the Lumity replacements have replaceable batteries? Can’t remember. Don’t own them…yet.

DaveL