Deaf People Hearing for the FIRST TIME (very emotional)

As the title states:

Just saw this.
It was posted on reddit.
Make sure you have a hanky!

3 Likes

Most people do not have those experiences with a CI. Those videos give people unrealistic expectations. It can take years to get quality hearing from a CI.

6 Likes

Quite delightful @flashb1024… Thank you for sharing :grin:

2 Likes

You must be a blast at parties…

1 Like

Excellent! I’m sure Dr. Nixon is not a “Crook”, but he does lack empathy, for sure.
Quite the bedside manner for a Dr.

1 Like

These “inspiring” videos continue to push one of the most problematic narratives in the history of the Deaf community: that deaf people are broken and therefore need to be “fixed.” In reality, there’s no such thing as a happily-ever-after.

Many Deaf people do not qualify for cochlear implants, regardless of the complicated issue of whether they want one in the first place. Cochlear implants primarily work in one of two situations – a child who is born deaf has the implant put in before they are five years old, or a deaf adult who had full hearing at birth and then lost it at some point along the way can have it put in later.

For the many, many deaf people who do not fall into one of these two camps – the “fix” of a cochlear implant is not an option.

So what do these videos say to a deaf person who does not want or cannot have the implant? They say, “this other person is healed now, but you will always be broken.”

And although these videos often have a happy tear-jerker of an ending the reality isn’t always so shiny and perfect.

Most doctors advise their patients not to leave the house for several weeks after getting a cochlear implant so that they can get used to all kinds of new, but common noises, like water coming out of the faucet or wind hitting a window. Most go through extensive therapy to cope with their newly-altered perspective on life. Some no longer feel welcome in the Deaf community or choose to leave it. Some have trouble relating to old friends.

And then there are the technical issues. While cochlear implants have helped some people regain almost 100 percent hearing, some users report that they can’t distinguish between individual voices or that all speech sounds robotic.

There isn’t a pill that can eliminate deafness, and videos that make it look like cochlear implants are a miracle cure-all do a disservice to the many Deaf people who think that their lives are plenty inspiring just the way they are.

So, why are these videos so popular, and why does a new one make the rounds on social media every few months? Because viral videos aren’t about the people who are in them, they’re about the people who watch them. It’s much easier to look at a 60-second “uplifting” video and tear up and feel really good about yourself for sharing a post to Facebook than it is to learn anything meaningful about the lives of Deaf individuals around the world. So the next time you see one, don’t just cheer for the newly hearing person, but take a moment to think of the others in the Deaf community and the viral videos that won’t be made about them.

5 Likes

These are heartwarming and tear-jerking clips for sure. But I’m with the Dr. et al, videos like these are entertainment only, but misleading and misrepresenting. I think, especially in a forum dedicated to hearing assistance, that a realistic expectations should be maintained.

There are candidacy tests for CI that must be done before a surgery can be done. Not every hard of hearing or deaf person is a candidate.
Then you get into insurance and and payments for CI that’s very expensive. There are many ways to weed out those that are not candidates.

After reading many hearing journeys by CI users most do very well with CI. How quickly this happens is varied from activation day to typically 5-6 months although hearing improves over years. For me it took about 2 months to understand speech and be able to communicate on a phone. Many are quicker and others are slower. We are all different. It has been life changing for me. I am bilateral CI.

We all know the internet is biased and not always correct. So please take this information with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Here in the UK, we have 2 very distinct camps, No 1, collectively know as big “D” whom are pre-lingually Deaf, with no speech, and use BSL (British Sign Language) as their first language… No 2, known as little “d” (us guys) whom are the HOH, some hearing loss at birth, or deafened later in life, with oral language as their first language… And yes, big “D” is hostile to CI, they hate them with a vengeance, if you where to ask a big “D” couple, would you like a hearing child or a Deaf child, most would likely prompt for a Deaf child, we may wonder why, or think that’s perhaps cruel, but those within big “D” culture, do not see a problem whatsoever in being Deaf, and TBH, there are so few of them, they want to preserve their culture, so CI are gradually destroying their way of life, in their eyes CI are most likely an abomination, and therefore a threat to their very existence, big “D” culture goes back hundreds of years… You have to look at it from their perspective, why would you miss oral language & sound if you have never experienced this… It’s us HOH, who grieve for what we once had, and what we lost! Big “D” can & do communicate very effectively, 5 times faster than we can speak, and up to 7 times quicker, depending on whom is signing! Big “D” totally distrust the hearing world (and rightly so) they where persecuted hundreds of years! They do not have an affiliation too little “d” , they tolerate us, but only just, no matter how deaf you are, you will never be in big “D” culture. After many signing sessions with them, I would say, they are aloof, and probably consider themselves, slightly above the hearing world in general, with the mess we have made of this world, I kinda tend to agree with them… So in effect, we HOH, are quite literally, between a rock, and a hard place, we are neither hearing, nor are we big “D”… Perhaps, the in-betweenies might sum us up :rofl: Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve seen a number of videos where a young child is having their BAHA turned on for the first time. Typically, it goes like this; the child is sitting in their mother’s lap. The audi turns on the BAHA. The father, off screen, gently speaks the child’s name. The child immediately turns toward him and smiles. The mother bursts into tears.
That says it all. I’m always moved by these videos. I thank God that we have this ability to provide hearing to many—not jsut children. And I’ve mentioned these videos to my ENT, who performed my BAHA surgery. I was his first for the Osia! but he’s done many by now. God’s work indeed!

That said, no I don’t think deaf people are broken and need to be fixed. I’m grateful when children, especially, are given access to sound and speech. I’m one who narrowly avoided losing my hearing at a very young age due to cholesteotoma. Recent advances made it possible for my hammer, anvil and stirrup to be reconstructed.

2 Likes

a long time ago when I changed my old hearing aids for new hearing aids which are much better than the old ones, especially when the old hearing aids no longer work properly and you feel as if you can’t hear anything.
I was also a bit moved by that emotion, crying from the inside out of happiness because I can finally hear much better.
It’s not just about that, but also about when I can’t hear well, for example at school we often get ostracized because of that, being a black sheep among white people because you can’t complete tasks as well as others. You just can’t communicate the same way they do and then you isolate yourself more because you think it’s better that way.
When you put up with not hearing others, then you often do it inside yourself so that no one sees it.

That’s why when you feel a sudden improvement in hearing, it’s an explosion of positive feelings.

5 Likes

Wondering why so many posts devolve into an argument on this site? Some seem to have nothing better to do then come up with strange personal analogies so as to offend. I belong to various forums and this one keeps me at bay just from the replies many receive.

Not long ago, we had had 3 members banned for exactly those issues, and here we are again.
It can be very intimidating for new users coming on board hoping to glean some objective information, and get shot down by the know it all “Experts”!

2 Likes

I’m unaware of the incident you are referring to. Regardless, it was not my intention to intimidate.

As for objective information, it’s also important to understand the issues with those feel good videos. As a CI recipient, I feel I have some insight into this issue. It was my objective to educate not intimidate.

Kind regards,

Hope. It gives hope to those suffering (and to family), is the way I see it.
I have an uncurable life long disease. When i see others with my disease showing remission, i dont see myself as “broken” and them as “fixed”. I see hope that I too, may find remission some day before its to late. Sometimes hope is all we have.

4 Likes

Actually, I was responding to @mr.smithster, regarding the number of arguments that are a byproduct of an OP which they may not agree with.

A lot of HA individuals are referred to this site for help, and guidance, but are immediately informed that their lack of knowledge (which brought them here in the 1st place) is not worth dealing with, or too rudimentary to qualify for a response.

Over the years this has been an ongoing issue, and it keeps the mods busy, for sure.

I posted that video in an attempt to share what I felt was a positive outcome for some patients.
I could find no evidence of a marketing ploy, or otherwise, so I shared it in good faith.

We all know not ever outcome is going to be so happy, and positive, but hope is what we strive for.

4 Likes

Thanks
It makes me cry to watch these videos
extremely emotional moments

4 Likes