Danalogic Ambio - classical music

Hello all,
I’ve recently been provided with hearing aids from the NHS, which are Danalogic Ambio. This is my first time wearing hearing aids.

I find that listening to classical music, or performing it myself, while wearing the HAs is a worse experience - music sounds tinny or limited in some way. I think this may be because classical music will have a wider variation of volume and frequency than speech does.

I wondered if anyone has had the same experience, or whether this is just to be expected with HAs ?

Danaligic Ambio is a rebrand of Jabra/Resound devices, which might give you a hint where to look for info.
As you correctly intuited, the capabilities of hearing devices and default setups are geared towards speech.
That being said musicians do use them successfully.
Unfortunately setting them up for such use case requires a superb audiologist. You’ll find that some folks here opted for setting them up themselves instead.
You’ll also find that Widex is the go to brand for musicians for several reasons.

Thanks Reginald, that’s very useful. I’ve seen Widex mentioned in a blog, also saw a mention of Oticon as being good for classical music.

I wonder if this will mean I’d need to go private as I can’t imagine the NHS have the time / available options for me in order to get something which really fits my needs.

If you’re lucky enough to have Costco near you should definitely try trialing the newest Philips 9050 devices (They’re rebranded top line Oticon Intents). Or even Rextons, they’re made by WS Audiology which produces Widex stuff too.
Costco also has way lower prices.

I am a musician, piano. I have tried Widex a few times over the years but I much prefer Phonak. The settings are more important than the brand. I do adjust my own aids but often, when practicing or performing, do not wear them.

Post your audiogram. That helps members here to better understand your specific hearing issues.

Thanks Widex, really helpful. Like you, presently while practicing or performing, I don’t wear my aids as it distorts / flattens / thins the sound.

I wasn’t quite sure what you mean about “post your audiogram”, when the NHS tested my hearing, they didn’t provide me with the audiogram itself. Is it normal that they would do that ? (Apologies if I’m asking an obvious question).

I have Ambio’s, I am not able to use them to listen to music, as they also sound tinny. My KS10’s from Costco seem to give me a much fuller sound.

You could always try DIY project to see if you can make the improvements your looking for.