Custom earmolds at Costco

My wife has Rexton Adore HA from Costco. Her right ear canal is larger than the open dome original can accommodate. She did have the sport retainers installed but the right HA is still loose. We will be returning to Costco to look at custom molds. I called them today and the lady said we could get the standard hard molds at no charge or the soft ones for 39.00 each. She recommended ordering the free ones first and see if that fixes the problem. My thought is to pay for the others and not have to go back. Does that seem reasonable?

A few other questions, Are both types she was talking about “custom” molds? Should both open domes be replaced with the custom molds? She said we could just replace the one she was having an issue with. It seems to me it would be better to have the same design in each ear. Am I thinking straight?

My wife hasn’t worn the new HA (her first ones) much because of the loose one. (or maybe that’s an excuse) I can understand her reasoning - feeling like it is going to fall out. But I was wondering what are the downsides of switching to custom molds, assuming they are vented properly so she isn’t bothered by hearing her own voice?

Thank you for your thoughts.

I agree with the lady at Costco.
Your wife’s hearing loss doesn’t require soft ear molds. Many members here prefer the hard molds. And yes, they are custom fit molds.

1 Like

I’m surprised that the hard molds are free. That was not my understanding. If that is indeed the case, sure no reason not to try them. Also the Rextons have a variety of non custom options including “Click Sleeves” which come in a variety of sizes and a couple of venting options.

2 Likes

No need to have the same design in each ear other than comfort. Symmetry might be more comfortable, or it might not. Only your wife can answer that. We have had members here who actually wear two different hearing aids. All depends on the actual hearing loss in that particular ear.

2 Likes

Missed the question about downsides of custom molds. 1)Requires taking the impression 2) Depending on ear canal size, it can be difficult to get enough venting to avoid occlusion 3)Some people find them uncomfortable 4) getting a replacement takes longer than replacing a dome 5) wouldn apply in this case, but there are some molds that require the receiver be placed at the factory so that adds complication if the receiver needs replacing. In most cases, these are all pretty minor and I think most people feel that the advantages far outway the downsides.

1 Like

Le me answer to the main question commenting each of your points: 1) Not a big deal. 2) I tried both vent; soft and hard mold. I do find more ease on the hard to find my sweet spot, only for my left because my right have no vent. 3) Yes at first I did find hard mold very uncomfortable. However, it was because my misunderstanding how hard mold work plus missing confidence on the power of my haids. 4) That is correct but always must be a workaround, for me I am ordering a second molds both side replicating the first-one for backup. 5) That is correct, too, my have to be set wherever they do the mold, and I find this disrespectful to me, and this is one point that have me all the time looking something different that Resound. However, for now because I am making a backup mold it will coming with the receivers.

Thank for all the replies, this will help greatly when we make it to Costco.