Custom earmolds and high frequency tonality

I have custom ear molds for Oticon Real 1 RITE aids and some frequencies above 2k are a struggle in my right ear (past audiograms were 90db+ and the most recent one last year showed deafness but could’ve just been masked by tinnitus). With that said, I’ve tried the above hearing test with my hearing aids with custom molds and I’ve noticed at those frequencies, with the earmolds all the way inside my ear I hear almost a lost radio signal sound with no tonality, then when I take out my earmold slightly it seems to regain some tonality (left ear is muted so pretty sure I’m not just hearing this with the other ear).

Is this something to do with ear acoustics perhaps changing the frequency? I wonder if shortening the earmold would help regain tonality or would opening the ear (perhaps with air vents, as the current earmolds essentially plug it) help regain tonality?

1 Like

Posting your audiogram might help. (Top of page, click on FORUM and then MY Hearing Tests) Sounds like you might have cochlear dead spots, but I don’t know why repositioning molds would give you some tonality. With cochlear dead spots, certain frequencies are dead, but you may be able to sense them from nearby areas although they won’t have tonality.

1 Like

Could it be that repositioning the earmolds causes shifts in frequency due to sound bouncing around the ear, and nearby cochlear spots can pick that up?

Doesn’t sound likely to me but I really don’t know.

I also noticed when changing the volume on the right aid and then setting it back to the default volume, the double beep is barely audible but becomes clearly apparent when I take the earmold out slightly.

I wonder if this is maybe the feedback prevention tech shifting the frequency (since I’m taking out the earmold and have a severe-profound loss). Though, I’m not sure since the mics were muted when trying this with the linked hearing test. Another thought is it could be masked by the lower frequency sounds, and when I take it slightly out, the lower frequencies sound attenuated, so I hear the higher frequencies more prominently?