CROS + Costco KS10

I have noticed recently that I cannot understand many words. I asked Costco if they fit the CROS receiver to their KS10. I was told that they do not work with any CROS fittings. I went to a certified audiologist who confirmed that I might need a CROS to work with Phonak or try the new Phonak Lumity which advertises that it has better word recognition. I am willing to try the Lumity hearing aids, but if that isn’t an improvement, I’ll try the CROS recommendation. However, I wonder if she can’t link the Phonak CROS receiver with my Costco KS10 which is really a Phonak Paradise 90 or is she correct that I need to purchase a new Phonak Paradise to work with Phonak CROS?

1 Like

I have Phonak BICROS. The CROS only hooks up with the matching hearing aid. :cry:

Since Lumity has reportedly better sound than the Paradise I am holding out until Phonak comes out with Lumity CROS which is reportedly in R&D with no ETA

You might want to look up ampCROS. I think it could be done with your current hearing aids. My understanding is that it’s kind of a hack, but is helpful for some people.

2 Likes

A question…has your hearing changed? Is it time for a follow-up hearing test?

Do you use the APP for your hearing aids?

I have the Phonak version of your hearing aids. Originally the APP was terrible. It has changed and grown up. And I’ve learned a lot.

For instance I never saw the bottom of the screen. It didn’t show on my iPhone! I can work with compression there.

On my APP if I “adjust the program” It brings up a bunch of screens. Making one simple change blue my mind. I hit the “CLARITY” button and I could hear better!

Then I found the “Dynamic” button and moved it to the right. I heard better again.

And I could save those settings in a program of my own, and call it up when I wanted to use it.

In the old “stereo” days I bought good transducers. Good speakers. If I wanted to hear better, I turned up the volume.

Today your hearing aids are magnificent provided they are setup properly. My hearing gets about 5% worse every year. So I see my audi more often.

DaveL

Thank you for your thoughts. I am counting on Phonak Lumity to see if that works better or not. I am getting fitted on the Lumity 90 at the end of June. Then I have 45 days to decide. My best hope is that the Lumity will have improved so much since the Paradise. If it about the same or less I plan to tell my audiologist I’ll wait until the Lumity has gotten a CROS.

My hearing has greatly declined especially for word recognition. I had all the exams and hearing tests and she interpreted that she recommended a BIOCROSS item with a Phonak Paradise 70. I told her that I have the Costco KS10, but she never to tell me whether my KS10 could be linked. She also told me that using any CROS item will be like an amputation. That wasn’t a comparison I wanted to hear. So I told her that I want to try the latest Phonak device and would get a Roger On device to give further help. I was unsuccessful trying to link a Roger On to my Costco aids. My greatest fear is that in 60 days or more Phonak will market a CROS device to work with the Lumity line. Then I will be stuck with the Lumity Pair and have to spend more to get the device and I’ll get nothing back for what I had bought a couple of months ago.

I am amused that some online sources say that Phonak is like Apple and keeps all upgrades a secret and other sources say with great certainty that Phonak will never produce a CROS device and don’t say why they are so absolutely sure. They probably don’t know.

All the best, Ed

1 Like

Are you able to share where you got the info from with regards to Lumity CROS.

My HIS called Phonak and asked when I was there getting an adjustment

1 Like

I did contact Phonak too. Their reply did not say if they would or would not make a pairable CROS or BiCROS aid for the Lumity, but they said it takes a few years to develop one. Sounds😊 like they are working on one. I think I am going to wait for one to be marketed.

1 Like

Thanks. I did contact them as well to ask if a new CROS will be released that will work with the Phonak Virto Paradise P90 312. Was told they had nothing in the pipeline for one. However I spoke to an audiologist back in October and they stated something should be released late 2023.

I am currently wearing Oticon Real 1 + Oticon CROS but would like to try a Phonak version of it.

Which version of the oticon cros are you wearing is it the PX rechargeable model or the one with the size 312 batteries ?

I have gone with the rechargeable. Today will be a good test for them to see how long they will last and if they get through the day from 7.30am until 11.30pm.

1 Like

@TBOX I found for me i didn’t notice much difference with the cros aid for at least a couple of months as it took me awhile to get use to it but the more i wore the cros the more difference i noticed in what was coming from where

2 Likes

So I also asked Phonak whether they will be releasing any further CROS models to work with the Lumity or an ITE to work with the Virto Paradise and I got the following response:

“At present there are no plans to release a new CROS system other than the current model we have: Solution for Hearing Loss in One Ear (Unilateral) - CROS Paradise | Phonak

As I also want to try the Phonak HAs I will most likely go ahead and order the Paradise + CROS.

@Neville Is this a situation where AMP CROS might be appropriate?

1 Like

Yes, @Neville has talked about this hack of a cross system.
Seems it was speech in 360 that could be set up permanently to move sound from one side to the other.

1 Like

It’s the auto phone program that you hack into a CROS program. I do it in cases where there’s still a chance of CI on that side and we want to keep the nerve active. I wouldn’t do it to turn a lumity into a CROS, as you lose most of the features when you’re in that program. A true CROS is better in the case where someone is a true CROS user. The paradise is fine. The jump from paradise to lumity is nice, but marginal, and unlikely to be that noticeable for someone with one good ear.

I’d lean away from a phonak rechargeable CROS, too. The battery life isn’t great.

4 Likes

That is the truth! The CROS is communicating with the Phonak all the time and eats power. When I got my newest Phonak and CROS, I was urged to try rechargeable. They barely made it to 12-13 hours. I had to return them for replaceable batteries.

2 Likes

Not had any low battery warnings. The Oticon Real states I have 7.5 hours left still. The CROS I’m not sure how much battery left as it is not shown in the app but no low battery warnings which I think it should start giving 2 or 3 hours before.

Have had them on since 7.30 this morning, now 10.30pm. Going to take them off in an hour.

TBOX - how are the Oticon Real 1’s working with the CROS in your opinion? Also, curious as to why you want to try the Phonak CROS?

Just starting to get educated about CROS as this may be an option for my mom.

I didn’t do along enough test on them, gave them back after week. The CROS was working however I didn’t like the way the Oticon’s were handling the back ground noise. It may have just been they needed a better adjustment but I didn’t feel confident with them.

1 Like