Costume Earmolds struggle

Hello everyone.
I’ve been reading and getting a lot of infos from this community, I will always be grateful for the amount of information that I learned here.

Starting with I have severe to profound loss I wear Naida P90, I have roger select (but I rarely use it because it gathers the background sound and not helping me hear well), I’ve been wearing hearing aids for 12 years and I’ve never been lost as I was/still for 11 months now.

2 years ago, I was different person at hearing and vocal, I used to talk to people with no fear of not been heard. but now is the opposite even at work I don’t talk to my co-workers like I used to do. I rather text them. I’ve never felt isolated in my life more than I do now. I’m helpless and I ask for any information that could help in my case.

my struggles:

1. getting a program thats helps me in speech, and conversations wether its 1/1 or at group setting.

2. I had alot of costume earmolds and none of it fit “perfectly” and mostly because of size problem and “fullness of hearingwhich means when I put my fingers on the corner of earmolds “at vent” sounds become so full and deep I can hear the AC sound and beat of music.

this case has affectd my voice alot and becoame nasal, I’ve been struggling and putting alot of effort to speak “clearly” people tend to ask me “huh” “what”. and that caused me alot of anxiety.

at last, I live where the options is very limited even my audiologist not helping me much, but unfortunately I only have this clinic.

My audiogram.

3 Likes

Maybe @kevels55 might be able to hear in your type of HL. Wait for his reply.

2 Likes

Thank you @dankailo… I am no expert, and that would appear to be, according to my limited knowledge, a conductive hearing loss, as opposed to a sensory neural loss, if so, then a BAHA might be more suitable (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) perhaps one of our resident A.uD’s might care to comment, @Neville or @Um_bongo might kindly give their expert opinion? There is also a bit of a cookie bite there, notoriously more difficult to fit, but not impossible… Restrictions with suitable clinicians, might also be a major obstacle here? Good luck @Eman_1 in finding a suitable solution. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

No, the little arrows mean that’s the max output of the audiometer for bone. Probably a sensorineural hearing loss. Cochlear implant assessment might be a good next step.

4 Likes

It’s a SN loss, the down arrows on the BC symbols means that the test machine is just out of puff so the audiologist couldn’t record a value there.

It’s going to be difficult to get much usable performance unless there’s a pretty hefty mould in place. However, winding off lower pitches might be necessary to minimise occlusion.

6 Likes

Thank you @Neville & @Um_bongo I am much obliged for your clarification :smile: Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @dankailo @kevels55 @Neville and, @Um_bongo for your replies. much appreciated.

@Neville Is CL the only option? I find the surgery intense, I don’t want to take that road.

@Um_bongo I will mention that to my Audi in the next appointment, may I ask which program should I depend on? currently my hearing aids stays on Calm unless I change it through app.
Also, Is there anything else you recommend me to do in the appointment? your insights are valuable

2 Likes

I think Umbongo and I simul-posted.

If the hearing aids are no longer supporting you sufficiently, then yes. To hear any frequencies beyond 750 Hz, yes. But you can go for the assessment to get more information without actually going ahead with it. In terms of optimizing hearing aids, you mention that you felt you were doing well 2 years ago, but not whether your hearing has changed.

1 Like

You can try it on any program you like, but I don’t think the aid will actually be giving you any practically usable gain above 2KHz so it probably wants shutting down in those channels to avoid feedback and the downward spread of masking. Also, most directional patterns will be useless due to low frequency roll-off.

So, a decent mould, thick-wall tubing , loads of power, no output above 2KHz in an Omni mic mode with an easily adjustable volume control. Also, a remote/partner mic to use as much as possible.

3 Likes