Costco vs. Independent? Hard to stomach spending $7k again

KenP: Yes thank you. I know. And pvc repeated that. I was making the comment after your comment about programming being restricted to the vendor. And I commented unless one does self-programming. I wasn’t going to get into restrictions for that quick comment.

have you contacted Resound and asked them what they want to refurb your aids?

As far as the music goes, have you had a music channel set up on your aids? This is one that is without signal processing and more low end, usually linear with a single EQ band. And in Resound’s case, usually not loud enough or too loud, so you have to take the single EQ curve and split into the three EQ curves that is used on your "normal channels…

I am a performing musician, a bass player, and I use Enzos on stage. They work great.

After spending $7000 several years ago on top of the line Phonaks, I followed those four years ago with KS5s for $1800 From Costco. I have been extremely satisfied with both the service at Costco’s Hearing center and with the performance of my KS5s. If and when it is necessary to replace them, I will buy again from Costco. I will never go back to buying from an independent audiologist and paying through the nose again, even though I liked my audiologist too but I spent way too much time going back to him for adjustments that never fully solved my problems on those “top-of-the-line” hearing aids.

When I bought my HA’s I asked the aud about the tinnitus feature (which mine can be programmed for). She turned it on for me and it is nothing but more noise to listen to.
Apparently your supposed to listen to noise from your aids instead of from in your head and that somehow is better.

Check prices at buyhear.com, they are same or less expensive than costco and can fine tune the hearing aids for you. They send you a neck loop, you plug it in your computer and they adjust them for you. You get top of the line latest hearing aids and not past models that costco caries and half the price of the typical hearing aid places.

1 Like

Don’t spend that kind of money on hearing aids. It’s a rip off. You can get them from us for more than half the cost and it comes with lifetime free service.

The online option is intriguing, but I just came off a really crappy experience with doing this with progressive eyeglasses. I ended up returning them. The prescription seemed off, and they didn’t properly fit my face (it was kind of hard to tell via the online tools). I carefully measured my pupillary distance etc… It didn’t cost me anything, but I burned a bunch of time in the process… In case anyone here has done this with either of these providers, I’d love to hear more about the experience, especially with higher end RIE instruments.

I don’t know what’s the latest and greatest. I will send you guys my audiogram and I’m open to experiencing the consultation part of this…

I just got my Oticon Opns from Hear Store and so far have had a good experience. Their customer service is great and so far I like the hearing aids (but it has only been a week). They will do some remote service, but I picked up my aids from an audiologist about 15 minutes away. I also purchased a service package option for 24 months, but that was optional. I think I spent a little more than Costco, but my neighbor tried both and said he preferred Oticon. I know others on this forum have had a good experience with Cosco, so that might be a good option for you. I’ll try to post a link to the web site below and see if it works (didn’t work last time). Good luck and let us know who you went with and how it went.

I tell this to everyone that wants local service. Buy the hearing aids online, pay your same local guy to service them (prices vary) and save thousands. You literally have the exact same thing, for less money.

Understood, but in my case I’ve been doing business with the same person for 7 years, and it’s awkward.

Then talk to him about giving you a fair price. We’re a local hearing aid center as well. There is NO reason to charge those prices.

Keep in mind, there is independent local and Corporate local. Corporate being a manufacturer chain. My impression is that Corporate is setting the prices.

Oh for sure. I meant from an ethical standpoint.

My local audiologist is completely independent and she makes a living taking care of her patients, many of whom are elderly. I’m a business owner, who has spent a lot of a time as a VAR (value added reseller) and I have empathy for her situation. I don’t think she is taking advantage of her customers. She provides a lot of ongoing value, often with no charges for it, and she bares a lot of risk, burden and overhead. What she charged me over time was competitive with others in this region, but frankly I didn’t do a lot of shopping, other than deciding that I didn’t want to buy what my ENT was pushing and that he wasn’t the only game in town. I’m better educated this time around.

The marketplace is changing, and her way of doing things maybe headed for extinction, but I say that with some sadness, and there something missing in a purely commodity based world. Ultimately, as a customer, I have a choice, and I will need to do what’s best for me (in this case financially), but I would hardly place the blame on the small local independent audiologist.

Just my two cents.

@kendor

We’re not a big firm either. Family own and operated, in fact, for 25 years. We provide free service for the rest of our patients lives, including in home visits. I’m sorry, but there just isn’t an excuse for charging the patient that much. We’re talking about medical devices that people need to live normal, happy lives. You shouldn’t gouge every red cent you can out of someone for this kind of service.

Progressive glasses only work well if the frame is fitted to your face then the pupils marked out on the sample plastic lenses. If the nose pieces change position even slightly it can result in your lenses not being in the right place for optimum vision. I have had a vendors laboratory substitute new frames for my preadjusted ones and had no end of trouble getting the frame adjustment correct again. I will never accept that again and will send them back if it happens again. I don’t see how the fitting process could be adequately done online.

I can sympathize with a person whose business is under attack. The business models at some point all change. Sometimes, the change is dramatic. Shopping in a big box is different from shopping at a now defunct Marshal Fields. The service changed from Field’s full service model.

@audiometrix_hearing changed there business model long before it was forced. It is apparently quite successful. All the good others need to do is duplicate it. Likely more work and less comfort but the ones who do will prosper.

Looking at the current business model shows an industry that refuses change. It the “it worked before so it has to now” and that’s a flawed view. If you are my age, you have been bombarded by bait and switch ads for aids. “We offer 30 trials at 50% off. Contact us now” is a constant advertising lie. I have to wonder how oligarchy business can exist for so long.

1 Like

@audiometrix_hearing was very convincing when I chatted with them and very price competitive. I put the hammer down on the Oticon OPN3s and will report back after I receive them. Thanks to all for chiming in. This totally went in a different direction then I expected.

1 Like

We look forward to your feedback.