Costco verses Sam's Club hearing aids

Does anyone have experience with Costco’s hearing aids. In my area the brands they carry are:

Bernafon
Phonak
ReSound
Rexton

These are $2650 a pair.

Costco Kirkland cost $1899 a pair.

Sams Club has Liberty brand at $3200 a pair.

They are all BTE types.

I’ve googled these and came away confused and not really able to compare any of them. I would appreciate any information and comparisons.

Thanks, Henry

The brands that Costco sells are manufactured by some of the foremost companies in the industry. At $1899/pair, the Kirkland Signature 5.0 is an amazing value. You can search the forum for lots of feedback about that model.

Sam’s Club Liberty HAs are based on ADRO processing engine.

Costco Kirkland KS5 HAs are essentially Resound Verso 9. It has binaural sound processing.

I have a pair of HAs with ADRO, also a pair of Resound Verso 9, I prefer the Verso because it lets you hear in a noisy restaurant well. Even in a quiet meeting room, the Verso sound seems to be more natural.

There have been debates between ADRO and WDRC sound processing(I think Verso uses the later) about which is better. I hope the ADRO camp can add binaural sound processing to their HAs. I wondered why it takes so long for them to do so because binaural processing technology has been around for over 10 years(the first HAs with this feature in the market maybe in the past 5 years).

I agree with Rasmus, the Kirkland Signature 5.0 is an amazing value.

I’ve limited experience, but after a broad search for several months, 10 weeks ago I did purchase Bernafons from Costco, also having considered (still not certain, but probably staying) Rexton Quintras and the Kirklands more recently, based on this board especially…and not to mention, having considered aids from audiologists outside of Costco with prices typically double what are found at Costco. I do think Costco represents an excellent combination of strong aids and clinical support…for a product where…if you don’t have experience already…there is a lot involved, and a product that is somewhat invasive naturally (things going into your ears and such). Oddly, there is a provocative underbelly. In addition to aids costing double Costco, on line, you can find aids costing 1/2 what are at Costco, and they’re described on this board elsewhere. I think it’s with each market channel, you potentially give up some benefit to get a different one. But the Costco model (I think the product set is uniform across Costcos nationwide) seems pretty attractive, and frankly hard to rationalize not using, given the relative options.

Ira Z.

— Updated —

I

I have been using Kirkland Signature 5 since November 2013. It is a very good hearing aid. The only thing I would change is battery life, I am getting five days.

Costco offers the same brands and models you can find at an audiologist’s office, for about half the price – with the exception of the Kirkland, which is the Costco brand. (I don’t know much about that brand as it wasn’t suitable for my needs, so I didn’t have to investigate it).

Audiologists earn a commission when they make a sale. Costco uses hearing aid dispensers (not audiologists) andthy do not earn a commission on a sale. This is what helps reduce the price to the user. Further, they are not tied to an ENT and the ‘office’ and sound room are all part of the larger warehouse, so overhead is reduced there, as well.

I saw 2 audiologists, and then went to Costco. This allowed me to gain information and test 2 demos in an office setting, to get some idea of what a HA can do for me. Once at CostCo, I found the folks knowledgeable, willing to answer my questions, and this made me do my trial there. I suspect I will keep the Rexton I am trialing, as I’m not finding ANY issues / concerns. But then, I’ve had it less than a week, lol.

— Updated —

Costco offers the same brands and models you can find at an audiologist’s office, for about half the price – with the exception of the Kirkland, which is the Costco brand. (I don’t know much about that brand as it wasn’t suitable for my needs, so I didn’t have to investigate it).

Audiologists earn a commission when they make a sale. Costco uses hearing aid dispensers (not audiologists) andthy do not earn a commission on a sale. This is what helps reduce the price to the user. Further, they are not tied to an ENT and the ‘office’ and sound room are all part of the larger warehouse, so overhead is reduced there, as well.

I saw 2 audiologists, and then went to Costco. This allowed me to gain information and test 2 demos in an office setting, to get some idea of what a HA can do for me. Once at CostCo, I found the folks knowledgeable, willing to answer my questions, and this made me do my trial there. I suspect I will keep the Rexton I am trialing, as I’m not finding ANY issues / concerns. But then, I’ve had it less than a week, lol.

Greetings, my first post. It seems like I have been reading this forum for days…lots of great information. I currently have one of the Sams 32 channel devices (my first HA) and like it very well but I am still in the 90 day return period. I have mild hearing loss in the other ear so I thought I could get by with one. Now my good ears feels more worthless than my bad ear did before getting a HA. I am seriously considering the Costco Kirklands because they have what Costco calls device-2-device communications allowing the two devices to work together. Not only that, the Kirklands have what appears to me to be a great warranty. And a great price.

I have been to an audiologist at a large medical facility. I paid for the visit and he offered to fix me up 3 to 4 times what the kirklands cost. This seems difficult to believe but the hearing aid dispenser at Sams seemed much more helpful and more knowledgeable about his product the audiologist. Again, this is just my opinion and I am new at this game.

I would simply get another Sams device like I have if they had the “device-2-device communication” that the Kirklands have. I also really like the warranty at Costco.

If someone has experience with the “device-2-device communication” function on the Kirklands I would like to know if it is worthwhile.
Are there other functions that the Kirklands have that make them better or worse than the Sams 32 channel device?

If these are really stupid questions I apologize as the best information I have regarding HAs is from this forum which I have found quite helpful, but my knowledge base is still limited to the point that I am not sure what questions to ask.
Bart

The Sam’s aid is a re-branded America Hears aid, and the Kirkland aids are rebranded ReSound aids. I’ve worn America Hears aids in the past, as well as ReSound and now the Kirkland aids. I believe the Costco aids offer much better price-performance than America Hears or the Sam’s aids.

With regard the the device to device communication, the biggest benefit that I’ve seen (heard) is the ability to determine where sounds are coming from easier, and the ability to hear sounds coming from behind me. I also use the other great features on a regular basis - the remote, phone clip +, and TV streamers.

I would not hesitate to return the Sam’s aid and get a pair of the Costco Kirklands.

Jay-man, thanks for the response. I scheduled a hearing test at Costco. They are busy, can’t get in for 2 weeks. Thanks again for your insight.

After my hearing screen a week and a half ago I was going to go to Costco to compare but the earliest appointment I could get was 5 weeks out! Having already tried an aid recommended by the audiologist that seemed to help immensely in the short time I had at their office I couldn’t see waiting 5 weeks to get something that I wasn’t sure would help as much. The price difference is astounding! I figure the audiologist I used was recommended by a friend who has used aids more that 3 decades who surely knows his stuff (he is a technology “geek” on top of his decades of experience). For this first time out I’ll pay more but hopefully get a product that I know helps me out. Next time around I’ll have a little more time (I hope) to compare and decide if the lower cost Costco aids are same/better quality as what I’ve already had.

— Updated —

After my hearing screen a week and a half ago I was going to go to Costco to compare but the earliest appointment I could get was 5 weeks out! Having already tried an aid recommended by the audiologist that seemed to help immensely in the short time I had at their office I couldn’t see waiting 5 weeks to get something that I wasn’t sure would help as much. The price difference is astounding! I figure the audiologist I used was recommended by a friend who has used aids more that 3 decades who surely knows his stuff (he is a technology “geek” on top of his decades of experience). For this first time out I’ll pay more but hopefully get a product that I know helps me out. Next time around I’ll have a little more time (I hope) to compare and decide if the lower cost Costco aids are same/better quality as what I’ve already had.

I am a little embarrassed now that I was whining about it taking 2 weeks to get an exam at Costco. Like I said earlier, this is my first time around the block.

Took me a week or do to get an appointment at Costco and, despite comments to the contrary, any Costco I’ve been to has a licensed audiologist with his license number posted. I went from an audiologist who put me in Oticon Altas for a $5,000 no haggle price (though he was in fintely negotiable on the no interest loan) and after the 75 day trial returned them having already lined up Rexton Quintas at Costco for just over half the price. Much better aid 0 and a remote to boot. That is OK but hardly necessary. The controls on the hearing aids on the Costco model is much superior. I’m one happy customer.

I had leftover 312 batteries so nothing to report on Costco battery life. The ones I just used the last of would beep for replacement the morning of the eighth day. Might as well just change them once a wekk and be done with it.

No worries…every costco is different. “Everyone’s coming to costco” she said as I picked my jaw back up off the floor. Maybe I should have tried another nearby location…if my trial period with my new aid doesn’t go smoothly you can bet I’ll be doing more shopping around.

Thank you, I’m thinking seriously of Costco and all these posts really helped make my decision.

My first post. Today, after reading many of the posts on this forum, I purchased the KS 5 HA’s. I demo’d them at my local Costco and was amazed at how much I could hear. I feel stupid that I waited so long to get HA’s and feel good that I bought the KS HA’s. I’ll receive my new HA’s this Thursday. Looking forward to it.

— Updated —

My first post. Today, after reading many of the posts on this forum, I purchased the KS 5 HA’s. I demo’d them at my local Costco and was amazed at how much I could hear. I feel stupid that I waited so long to get HA’s and feel good that I bought the KS HA’s. I’ll receive my new HA’s this Thursday. Looking forward to it.

Have an appointment at Costco in 2 days. Sageoldman, happy to hear you liked the KS5’s. I hope they will work well for me as well. I am new to this hearing aid stuff and am really looking forward to what Costco has to say.