Costco UK New fitting of Philips 9030 Custom/In the Ear

Hello,

In the UK I can only order 9030’s In the Ear/Custom and I cannot really find any information about what these are the equivalent of in the Oticon world.

I have currently been trialling the Oticon Ones but now realise that the Philips equivalent is the 9040’s.

Can anyone advise what the 9030’s customs are the equivalent of? I am through research assuming they are the equivalent/similar to the Oticon Opn Customs.

Can anyone advise if these aid s still use DNN or whatever the terms is for this AI based architecture?

Considering how old these aids are I am concerned I will be taking massive drop in performance.

The trouble is that although I really like the Oticon Ones, Oticon would only install a standard receiver which are not really powerful enough as I am almost at the top of the range when first switching on.

I am also trialling the Jabra Enhance Pro 10’s, they are also Customs but with an ultra receiver and for an In the Ear device the bulk of the aid is external, but they do look like earbuds to be fair, I am thinking I may ask if I can go down a receiver size and to make them smaller, as near the top end the current ones give me a lot of feedback issues. The one thing I wish the Jabra had was a better automatic/all round program.

This has been a long and drawn out process for me having trialled most new aids on the market and I am worried I am making a big mistake trialling the 9030’s, I know I get the trial period but it just feels like I am taking a step backwards before I even start.

I know most people will advise for my hearing loss I should really be going with RIC’s but I have always worn ITC and am more comfortable without the whole over the ear part of the system even though I admit they are actually more invisible…

Any comments would really be appreciated.

Summary: You’re right to shy away from 9030s, IMO.

I bought my Pro 10s before the 9040 was available. My previous aids were 9010s. I had 9030s for 10 days while my 9010s were being refurbed. They were better than the 9010s, to my ears, but not better enough to justify the cost. The Pro 10s made hearing much easier for me; they were more than worth the cost, for me.

Have you tried RIC aids? I dislike having things attached to me so annoying that I don’t even wear a ring or a watch, but I found getting used to RIC aids couldn’t have been easier. I very quickly I found myself having to touch my ear to learn that I hadn’t lost an aid.

If looks are an issue, I wish they were more visible - maybe that would get people to speak up louder and more clearly. :slightly_smiling_face:

@philbob57 Many thanks for responding, and I appreciate your comments around the 9030’s I have cancelled them now (which was before your comment).

I am also going to trial the new Starkey Genesis 24’s as I really like the Evolv’s with the exception of the Bluetooth streaming but would rather have the best aids for hearing and not so great streaming than the other way round.

With reference to RIC’s I have honestly given them a good go but I do not like the limitations, the two piece form factor, i.e. the over the ear part, and the mould/dome in the ear, having to take them off when having my hair cut, worry they will fall off when I go on roller coasters ( :rofl:) … Its just a personal thing, and something I have given much thought too…

Well I spoke to the Costco fitter today and there appears to be a misunderstanding (by myself), the 9040’s are available in the UK Costco but only in RIC’s, (maybe the same for the US) so I now have a decision to make, do I take the ultimate plunge (for me) and get the RIC’s so that I get the latest tech OR do I just cancel, I have given it a lot of thought this evening and considering the cost will go for the 9040 Ric’s which in the long run will probably be a wise decision by me (always a first time :slight_smile:)…