Costco Rexton Trax 42 (Product Information)

Andreabear, just my personal experience, but I found the HA tech (Sue) at Costco on Morena very bad. I recommend going anywhere else.

Evil Scientist, thanks. I’m still not having much luck getting the dome off; I will wait until I see my fitter again.

I’m a newbie and have been to my ENT and his audiologist. I have been to Costco and they are going to set me up for and in store trial. With my type of hearing loss which I am told is due to noise which is the preferred Costco HA for me to test. I don’t stream music and my phone is an Android (ASUS Zenfone 2) My test results are as follows:

HZ L R
250 15 15
500 25 25
1000 25 25
2000 35 40
3000 70 70
4000 65 65
6000 55 60
8000 60 65

I imagine you’ll find the KS6 quite useful. I have a worse loss with poor word recognition and am very satisfied with them. You can get the phone clip for $225 extra that will attach to up to 8 Bluetooth devices including the phone should you wish. You can trail it to and return it if it isn’t productive.

I have Trax for several days now. They are much better than my 5 year old Costco Rexton aids. The sound is louder and much clearer. I listen to TV at volume 8 now, not volume 16. The new hearing technology is great.

I have, however, problems with the blue tooth. I have the connector around my next. The streaming music sounds pretty good since I have molds; when I press program button, the music stops as it should, but the blue light indicating streaming music stays on. When I press the button again, the music plays again. Basically the HA gets stuck on streaming music. I have to turn connector off, then on to get back to automatic listening. Today it happened for a phone call. Anyone have this problem? Anyone have a solution?

TRAX 42 and Costco User Experience
Background: In 2010 (age 70), at the urging (O.K., insistence) of my wife I had an exam at an ENT clinic (no medical problems) followed by a hearing test with a local audiologist. I was told I definitely needed hearing aids and the cost would range from $6,000 to $8000 a pair depending on how many bells and whistles I wanted. I said I would think about it. After thinking about it about 5 seconds I decided I would ask people to speak up.

Two years later (2012), under threat of divorce, I again visited an audiologist (not the same one I saw earlier) and got essentially the same message. Once more I said I would think about it. The cost of aids seemed pretty steep to me. Time to do some research. I started prowling the web for hearing aid info, particularly various forums, especially this one, and blogs. Costco’s name kept coming up, with most of the comments being positive.

Costco had just introduced the Kirkland Signature 4.0 line. It also had generally positive reviews. They were also comparatively inexpensive ($2,000) including a charger and remote. Even though the closest Costco was 110 miles away I decided to have a look. I had a very thorough hearing test and was told the KS 4.0s with 45db receivers would be appropriate for me. After a brief in-store trial I ordered a pair. They arrived and I was fitted 2 weeks later.

I was astounded! I had no idea how much I’d been missing. I adapted to the aids pretty quickly and only needed one follow-up for a bit of tweaking. I was absolutely delighted with them. I had two problem areas, the ones many people cite—noisy environments and large lecture halls. All other situations were fine. I was a pretty happy camper.

In late June of 2015 one of the aids quit. Sent it back to Costco and they sent it to the factory for repair (freebie, still under warranty). Without the aid for 10 days, I really missed it. At about that time the HA forums lit up with discussions of the recently introduced TRAX 42, a close cousin of the Rexton Emerald 80 and Siemens Pure Binax families of aids. The gist of the discussions was that for many people aids incorporating the new Beamforming/Binax technology significantly improved clarity in noisy situations.

I had another hearing test at Costco in July (now age 74). Some additional deterioration was apparent, but word recognition was still decent (apparently my brain’s not rotting). My fitter said the TRAX 42s with the 60db receivers would be appropriate for me if I chose to upgrade. I ordered a pair, along with the charger and two remotes (one for the house and one for the car). I did not order the blutooth streamer.

Had the aids fitted on Tuesday July 28 and have used them for a little more than a week. Are they effective in noisy situations? For me, yes, a significant improvement over the KS 4.0s. In a restaurant situation (long table, 7 friends) I was able to hear 6 clearly. The only person I had trouble with was one woman who my wife said spoke very softly. At a conference in a large, multi-tiered auditorium with poor acousticsI was again able to hear all the presenters with no problem. A colleague who got KS 4.0s the same time I did was having problems. He’s looking into the TRAX 42s.

Sound quality was also significantly improved, much more natural (part of this might be due to the larger/more powerful receivers). Also the new aids incorporate a tone/bass/treble control which allows you to tailor the sound somewhat. Some poster didn’t notice much of an effect. I did.

I have the following programs loaded: Universal/Automatic; Noise/Party; Outdoors; TV; Music; Telecoil mT. I leave the aids on Universal most of the time. It seems to handle most situations pretty well. In particularly noisy situations I’ll go to Noise/Party. TV is pretty effective for (you guessed it, TV) but at home I usually use a good set of wireless headphones. Telecoil works fine on the phone.

I had the rocker switches on the aids set up for multi-functions, different functions being associated with a quick press, a short press, and a long press. They work well.

Battery life (zinc/air) was about 8 full days (from 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday July 28 through 5:45 p.m. on Tuesday August 4. I use my aids about 16 hours a day. Haven’t tried the re-chargeables yet. Running my second set of zinc/airs now. I’ll give the re-chargeables a shot next week.

The Android Smart Remote app works perfectly. I had the two programmable function keys set up to do bass/treble.

Finally, a big shout out to my Costco fitter. She’s been excellent since my first visit as a hearing aid virgin in 2012. Listens well, asks good questions, makes good suggestions.

That’s all so far. Hope this helps.

Can the Connexx Smart remote app be used with the Trax 42 as a stand alone remote?

That’s its purpose, yes. The Smart Connect app works with the streamer, the Smart remote app is meant to work with the aids. The only kicker is that you need to restart your HA’s and get them connected to your phone within 3 minutes.

The app sends test sounds that will engage your hearing aids during this time.

Evil.

It helps a lot – thanks for the informative post. I was in your position prior to gettings HAs - half the the time my wife refused to repeat herself. The result is you tend to give up listening.

I’ve had my current aids (Phonak) for 4 years and I’m getting back to the same position, hence I’ve been following this thread. My wife wants me to get up-to-date aids.

Thanks Evil Scientist

My wife was/is po’d too. But as I need to keep telling her “even with the aids I can’t hear you when you look away while talking”.
Still can’t hear Tv or loudspeakers. Was at a baseball game last night and couldn’t make out a single word. Asked a guy beside me when they were diung the 50/50 draw.
He looked at me like I was deaf and said with amazement thst they just announced it. His wife picked up on the aids and told me the number.
TV and radio and PA systems etc are just noise to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Trax 42. I was hoping they would work as you described. The KS6 were too harsh, ambient sound greatly amplified, voices, not so much. I pick up my Trax 42’s in exactly 2.5 hours from now. I can’t wait. I’m as anxious as a little kid on Christmas morning.

I have an Envoy Esteem implant now in my left ear and am about to replace a 5 year old Bernafon in my right. (I originally had a pair of them before the implant.) I am considering the Rexton or Kirkland. My main objective is improvement in "understandability. " Since I can now only use one aid, instead of a pair, are the advanced features of the various Costco brands and models important, since I won’t be streaming music and directional features don’t apply as much. I am quite willing to go “high end” but am not clear on how much difference there would be for someone only using one aid. I welcome info and opinions.

Just got back from Costco and had the same results as Oldprof. K6 did not work for me. Had an echo like effect when I talked although I could hear people talking to me with no echo. The techs at Costco could not adjust out the problems on the K6. Have ordered the Trax 42. The Connexx Smart remote app also worked perfectly with my Android cellphone. I was able to change program, volume/mute and adjust the bass and treble mix.

Day two with BTE Trax 42 with dome to start will see if need earmold later, so far so good getting use to them, have 3 program Auto, Noisy, T Coil.I am using my iPhone 5 S for remote.
Finding after day two, wish control was a rocker switch instead of button (hard to found) but using phone as remote a lot easier. T coil on remote program not very good, better to stay on automatic and setting the iPhone 5S to (phone noise cancelation )
Was told to come back in 2 week and see if I need more program and adjustment .
What I like about Costco is 90 days no question ask and full refund.

Hz R L125 30 20
250 37 30
500 70 60
1K 85 55
2K 65 50
4K 73 70
8K 70 70

I’ve just signed up for the Trax from Costco, Ringwood (Melbourne, Australia).

Testing, discussing my options, and making ear impressions took 90 minutes. Total cost including smart remote & ear molds is USD $2,430. I was offered Phonak Brios for the same price but I’m not happy with my current Phonaks (although they are 5 years old). The young lass was excellent and took the time to explain things. It was just as good service as at my previous audi practice ($5,500 for the Phonaks).

A special offer is current: charger/dryer/batteries or remote control (not smart connect) for free. I took the dryer/charger/batteries.

I didn’t bother with the TV transmitter because I reckon something like this will do the job:

I need molds because I have a congenital loss that affects both high and low frequencies (all relatives on my late father’s side have it). Mid-frequencies are almost 80 but high and low go down to 20, i.e., a hill-shaped graph. In other words I can hear words being spoken but can’t make out what is being said.

Being a “newbie” You sometimes don’t ask all the questions you need too. I just ordered the Trax 42 at Costco and never asked what receiver they ordered. After doing some searchin on the Rexton site I saw they offered several receivers. I called Costco and they told me it was the S receiver that was ordered. When I asked why the S and not the M or whatever, I never got a straight answer. So my question is with my type of hearing loss which is the best receiver to order? Joel

Just returned from Costco. I was told to hold on purchasing the Trax 42 since Seimens would soon (October) be releasing a new model with new technology that would allow the aid to focus on the person in a crowd you were trying to converse with. He said Costco would probably have a version of that model to sell. Also they now offer a size 13 battery instead of the 312 for the Trax 42 which they are still selling. Walked around the store with the Trax 42 with a power receiver and double large tulip domes. Started to slip out of my ears so I will probably need the custom molds. Above set up sounded clear but occluded. Will need longer trial to really judge HA. This was my first visit to Costco and the dispenser seemed professional and knowledgeable. Very basic set up but who cares as long as the advice and price are excellent. He suggested before ordering the Trax or newer model when it comes in, that I try out the Unitron Moxi Fit Pro due to my type of hearing loss and interest in music. Costco does not carry that model. Most impressed
250 HZ R:30 L:45
500 HZ R:35 L:45
1000HZ R:45 L:65
2000HZ R:45 L:70
4000HZ R:55 L:70
8000HZ R:60 L:65
Right:SRT:35 88% Presentation Level:85 Madsen 622 Moniiter Live Voice
Left: SRT:60 86% Presentation Level:95

Wow, the trax was only released a few months ago now they are going to release a newer model?

Well, if it comes in during one’s trial period, is it kosher to try the newer technology?

The Datasheet of the Trax 42 shows the fitting range of the various receivers. Looking at the fitting range, the S receiver should fit your loss, but I am no expert. The M receiver would serve you better if you had greater loss in the low frequencies. The datasheet is available in a link on the first post in this thread (on page 1) by rasmus_braun.