Costco Rexton Trax 42 (Product Information)

I’m in my first month with Trax 42 and Smart Connect. I had a somewhat better experience than CaptainTrips with the directional microphone adjustment. During my first week with them I was at a conference where folks were chatting in the line for the buffet which wrapped around behind and to the sides of me while the speaker was getting started with his presentation. Suffice it to say I could barely hear what the speaker was saying. I went into the Smart Connect app on my Android phone and used the microphone-pattern adjustment to zero in on the speaker. The improvement was dramatic. The noise from behind me virtually went away and it was like being in a relatively quiet room with the speaker. Granted this was an unusual set of circumstances, but it did provide an great first impression of the Trax 42s and Smart Connect app.

In everyday use - around the house and in the car speaking with family members - I feel like I can understand speech significantly better with the Trax 42s than my Resound Futures. What I don’t like, or haven’t adjusted to so far, is how the Smart Connect works during phone calls. I find the Futures and Phone Clip+ provide a better phone call experience for me than the Trax 42s and Smart Connect. The person on the other end of the call can understand me well with either setup, but I can hear the other person better with the Phone Clip+ than with the Smart Connect. I can’t seem to get the volume high enough with the Smart Connect. I wonder if others have experienced this issue. I make a lot of calls. I’m not in love with the around-the-neck arrangement with the Smart Connect, but could adjust to the that if the call quality were there. (I was disappointed to learn that the mini Blu and Blu RCU were not compatible with the Trax 42s, since I suspect those would have provided a phone experience closer to the Phone Clip+.)

Are you turning the external mics off during the phone calls?

I think that there are tuning opportunities to improve the streaming phone mode. I think bumping up the mid-range could help.

I also have high frequency loss. The tech adjusting my HA’s said that 5-10 years ago the HA’s wouldn’t have helped this condition. I tried Oticon Alta Pro’s, Widex 440, and am now trialing Phonak Audeo V’s. They all did a good job for me. As one experienced blogger said, “the tech is the most important component.” I think that’s probably correct. I’m planning on buying the Phonak’s partly because there’s an excellent tech (15+ yrs experience) right here in town. The Phonak’s seem to be doing very well - claiming adaptability to all environments. I still turn the volume up and down occasionally in order to hear better, e.g., when people are farther away, in a big family room.

Thanks for these suggestions:

Are you turning the external mics off during the phone calls?

I have not been able to figure out how to do this. I am using the Smart Connect app on Android and do not see the option. When I’m on a call, the app says “In Call” at the top of the screen, but I don’t see an option to turn off eternal mics.

I think bumping up the mid-range could help.

I also am not certain I know how to do this. In the Smart Connect app there is a single Sound Balance slider with Bass on the left end and Treble on the right end. There is not a separate mid-range control. Am I missing something?

From memory, if you press both volume controls buttons on the Easy Tech together, it will toggle turning off/on the HAs microphones.

I think that ‘bumping up the mid range’ is a customization that your tech will have to do.

As above… your tech will need to make the changes… yep, you need to press but the + and - for a very short time to mute the mics.

I am going in to Costco next week for a demo. I’ll try the trax 42 I got the impression the demo was for a few hours walking around the store. It seems that others have had the"demo" for days. Are there two types of “Demo”

Thanks

Yes, you can get a short, walk around the store demo of the Trax 42 and other aids Costco offers (and a free hearing exam before that so the demo model can be set to your default needs). Then, if you decide you want to have a longer trial of a particular aid, you have to buy it. Your very own aids will then come in a week or two and you have the long trial period. When I got mine that was 90 days. Recent posts here say the trial period is now 180 days. During that time you can have appointments for adjustments and tweaks and by the end of your trial period you either keep the aids and Costco keeps your money, or you return the aids and get a refund.

Thanks Tribal that clears it up. I was told by the tech that the 180 day return was in effect when purchased
Sparky.

I’m new to the forums. I’m curious to know about the Kirkland Signature 6.0 vs. the Rexton Trax 42 in terms of frequency range and frequency lowering capabilities. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Oh no! That’s like saying ‘Candyman’ into the mirror three times. Give him five minutes and he’ll turn up.

Kirigirl, Every brand has people who say they have never heard clearer. Every brand has people who say its a piece of junk. Quality is very subjective here. You are the only determinant. Much about the specifications is marketing hype.

Someone keeps mentioning more channels. Bernafon brags it is channelless. Everyone of them says they have the best this or that. Some believe the hype while others grimace.

The biggest variable can really be the fitter.

All the hearing aid companies do results testing. And they keep doing so until they get the results they want. Digital hearing aids are the hardware developed for lower power in cellphones coupled to formulas the audio engineers have known for many decades. As the processors available become more powerful, the algorithms get enhanced. Yet you will see remarks here from users that say they like their 7 year old aids better.

So, find what YOU think is best and you’re the new expert.

the trax 42 has
42 channels
10 kHz frequency range
ip67 dust/water resistance
better battery life with the optional battery size 13 XM model
4 microphones with spatial control options

You can probably find the comparable Kirkland data on the other forums

do you plan on wearing 2 aids?

I’m looking at the Trex 42 from Costco and when I look at the Rexton website I don’t see the “Trex” listed as a current model … Is this HA an ‘older model’ or simply a rename to be sold thru Costco?

Manufacturers rename the aids they sell through Costco and certain other outlet. Look at the Pure. Many here who have them call them very much the same.

The Rexton Trax 42c at Costco is essentially the Emerald 4c on the Rexton website. Not sure if it’s identical, but if not it’s very close.

I’m looking for an online source for domes, tubes and wax guards Any suggestions? The Trax 42 is relatively new and not listed on the few sites I’ve been able to locate.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=siemen+hearing+aids&sprefix=Siemen+heari%2Cindustrial%2C205&rh=n%3A16310091%2Ck%3Asiemen+hearing+aids