Costco Rexton Bicores to Oticon Intent 1 - tips for transition?

Happy weekend, all!

Yesterday, I went in to my audiologist to make a small tweak to my current Costco Rextons, and to try out the new Oticon Intent 1. I was very hyped up about it, as the reviews on here have been wonderful. They are not as expensive as I feared ($5800/pair with one year of free visits, and insurance covers $5000), there’s a 1-month trial period, and I thought “what do I have to lose?”

However, as soon as she put them in my ears, I was NOT impressed. The sound was completely different, and the frequency lowering was making an annoying staticky noise I’ve never heard before. (my current aids have that feature turned on, but never sound like that) Almost immediately, I had a headache and wanted them out of my ears.

I know that was just a VERY very brief introduction, and they were not even fully programmed to my hearing needs, so I’m trying to keep that in mind. And after reading the reviews and looking at the specs, I feel like the Oticon Intent would give me a better shot at understanding higher frequency voices and speech in noise, which are my biggest issues right now.

She is going to order a pair and I’ll have them for the trial month to make a decision. However, I’m almost dreading it because I know that adjustment period is difficult and I hate going through the process of getting used to new aids! So crazy how they all sound so different!

Please share any tips you have to make the transition easier! I’m thinking I might need to lock myself in a quiet room for the first week :laughing:

And if they didn’t work for you, have you ever taken them back after a trial period? Is it a hassle?

Be smarter than me. I made excuses and said my Audi was great for a year and a half. My better half’s answer was an instant, “ You can’t hear. He doesn’t know what he’s doing!”

I’m writing on my iPad to myself. “Advocate for myself,” 100 times

1 Like

I totally agree that it’s SO important to advocate for ourselves! Thank you for this tip!

1 Like