Costco Raising Membership Fees

Membership fee increases to $65 per year in US as of September 1. Whatever their higher class membership is called increases to $130.

3 Likes

As long as they donā€™t dump the hearing aid centers or hot dogs I am OK with that.

7 Likes

Bloomberg claimed the price of hot dogs hasnā€™t gone up over the years.
At Costco we use to be able to get a Hot Dog or Polish Sausage - and could also get the additional sauerkraut. Those went away. The prep stand use to include fresh chopped onions, that is gone too.
Bloomberg NYC has lost over 50% of its terminal subscribers, its bread and butter, over the last 36 months. Also lost a hefty amount of its news subscriptions. I often need to fact check Bloomberg with sources.
My guess is the Have Yachts Bloomberg staff donā€™t really understand the Costco Have Nots.
Costco seems more crowded now as people under 30 are appreciating saving money.
Yes, I will pay Costco the higher price, relative to the ā€œno counted in inflationā€ cost of food, energy, utilities, fees, taxes, insurance, ā€¦ it is way below the other price increases. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Given the several thousands of dollars one saves by buying hearing aids (and getting followup service for years) at Costco, the additional $5 per year for the privilege is worth it!ā€“in my view.
A reminderā€“one needs NO membership at Costco to visit and EXPLORE the idea of hearing aids from them. You only need to be a member to BUY them and then annually to continue to have access to followup care.

5 Likes

Several years ago I was told I didnā€™t need to be a member for follow-up care. I never tried it as their gasoline saves me enough money to be worthwhile as does a staple or two.

2 Likes

I like that:

Cheapest hearing aid prices Evah!

Youā€™re just on the hook for a service contract for $1300 over the next ten years. Pretty cute.

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦.my practice is the same as yours. :slight_smile:

At least at our Costco you need to be a member to get a hearing test. Iā€™d never been a member until I explored hearing aids but gas, and a couple of items definitely make the membership worthwhile.

3 Likes

My rebate this year was $685, and it is always more than the membership fee. Doesnt work for everyone but works for us. Our two daughters also have their memberships.

1 Like

Since my partner and I both have the ā€œCheapest hearing aids Evah!ā€ their ā€˜ten year service contractā€™ goes down to $650 eachā€¦ a great deal!. And yes we have their higher end membership :smile:.

Hearing aids, glasses, allergy medicine, and gas, if you purchase nothing else at Costco you have more than made up for the membership fees

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

News: The sky is falling

Details: Itā€™s only $5.

Iā€™m good with that.

2 Likes

It is %8.33. What else hasnā€™t gone up that much over the years. LOL

If you apply that to the hot dog it would be $1.62.

Costco has 132 million members. So thatā€™s only a pidly $660 million extra a year in pure profit. Chump change for us but over half a billion for Costco

Iā€™ve been an executive member for nearly 20 years when I joined and was told if I didnā€™t recoup the extra fee, they would refund me the membership fee. Since then, every year, I have been paid back much more than the extra cost, and get back even more by using their credit card. Besides HAs, I buy as much as I can there, e.g. eyeglasses, tires, gas, clothes, food etc. And I look there first whenever I need something different. When I hear about inflation complaints, I think complainers should buy more from Costco. Costco may not always have the same premium brands, but goods are high quality, sold at unbeatable prices. Complainers who contend food is too expensive should rationally buy more at Costco instead of Ralphā€™s. I think the best way to beat inflation is to buy at Costco.

1 Like

I joined Costco in 2018 to purchase my KS8S. I dropped my membership and continued to get annual hearing checks (recently changed to every two years) and get click domes and wax guards at no cost. I can enter without a membership card. I just tell the person at the entrance, Iā€™m going in for a hearing aide check. I can go in to have my aids cleaned and have domes and wax guards changed on a walk-in basis. Recently I joined again to checkout the new aids. KS8S were made by Rexton so I think Iā€™ll try the Reach. I find it more convenient to shop elsewhere for everyday items like food, gasoline,etc.

1 Like