Costco Phonak Brio 3 RC - Not Impressed

Hello, I’m new to the forum and to HA’s. I’ve been lurking for a few weeks and have learned much from you.

I’ve had my new Phonak Brio 3 RC’s for a few days now and here’s my review:

Fit: Comfortable, small, I hardly notice them. They came in a nice zipper pouch with 2 small hard cases inside including brush, tip (??) exchanger, cloth, extra domes, booklet, etc. I bought an ultra violet light dryer for $29

Hearing Improvement: I can hear conversation much better, very clearly. I can hear around and behind me. I can hear TV conversation and dialog well at a much lower volume than before. TV volume was on 22-24, now on 13.

Sound quality: Poor. AM transistor radio. Thin, treble, hissy, sizzling. The air is frying bacon. If anything gets near my head I get feedback. Walking up stairwell - feedback. Open refrigerator - feedback. Sitting on couch and turn my head - feedback. Music is terrible - like listening to an Elvis 45 on toy record player. There is no fullness, richness, body to sound. Public restroom sounds like everyone is pissing, farting, shitting in my face. There are things I don’t want to hear and am ready to rip them off my head. Paper crinkling, ice tinkling in glass, key and lock turning, it’s over the top.

I’m sure adjustments can be made, however I’m probably going to return them for a couple of reasons:

1. Lack of accessories - no way to connect PC w/ 3.5mm jack
  2. Phone call in one ear - very poor quality/low volume; my Plantronics BT jawbone is better.
  3. Can’t stream music, audiobooks, nothing. There is no accessory.
  4. Phonak website - there is nothing more than a sales flyer describing the product. No features, no info, just a glossy color hype page.
  5. Phonak Support - HAHAHA. I phoned them once for a link to the list of features. The support person wasn’t very talkative or helpful, but said she would email me info. She did, however it was a cut/paste of feature names with no explanation of the features or otherwise. I emailed them a second time asking about accessories and received the following reply:

Dear Mr. Stroup

Thank you for taking the time to contact Phonak with your inquiry. The TV Connector is an compatible accessory available for the Brio 3 R-C hearing instrument.

Thank you,

Consumer Liaison

In conclusion, Phonak has lost a customer.

It sounds to me like your hearing aids haven’t been fit correctly to your loss. It’s nothing to do with the quality of the hearing aid. I think that you’re not getting enough bass, which is why it sounds like a transistor radio. I have had similar issues in the past, and have needed in-situ testing or an REM test, which resulted in an increase of around 10db in the end from 125Hz up to 1000Hz. This is nothing to do with Phonak, it’s down to the skill of the fitter. The fitter should be aware that Phonak are notorious at underestimating with their target software and make adjustments accordingly.

You should be able to stream audio with a Compilot II accessory.

You should get info on your hearing aid from www.phonakpro.com - the consumer website www.phonak.com is more for marketing/attracting new customers.

I wouldn’t bother contacting manufacturers directly. In my experience they are not that helpful. You should be getting this advice from the costco audiologist.

To have a bad experience/first fit like this is very poor, but it’s not unheard of. Most people would say you need to persist with the audiologist.

3 Likes

The audi called Phonak while I was there. The Compilot is not compatable with the new “RC” Brio 3. I would have to get the previous version Brio 3.

I agree that the HA’s could probably be adjusted. He only gave me two programs: Auto and Noise 1 (which he told me was forward directional) Also, he told me he just went with Phonak’s software setup based on my test. So, I’m sure there is improvment to be made.

However, the reason I’m returning them is phone call only goes to one ear and is very low volume/poor quality. Secondly, there is no compatible devise for using my work PC during a Skype conference call. Third, no streaming stereo music. And lastly, i feel underwhelmed by Phonak as a company.

Here’s the page for the HA’s I bought - https://www.brio.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids.html

Also I forgot, the app is crap. All I have is a volume slider (which can be split or combined) and a program selector.

I’ll offer a different opinion. I’m guessing these are your first hearing aids and that perhaps you have a high frequency loss. Sounds like they are doing what they’re supposed to. Sounds like you can understand speech pretty well and listen to the TV at markedly lower volume.

Feedback should be able to be fixed: either with a different dome/mold in your ear or by an adjustment.

The sound quality is because you’re hearing sounds you haven’t heard in a long time. Nearly everbody has a similar experience. Two approaches. Hang in there and it will likely begin to sound more normal, or gain can be reduced and gradually re increased. However, if gain is reduced, may very well lose improvement in understanding speech. If music is important, then definitely get a music program.

Sounds like you have the equivalent of the Audeo B Direct. Ability to stream directly from an Android phone sacrificed some other features. If connectivity is important, likely happiest with Resound Forte and an iPhone.

2 Likes

I think you can use the TV streamer to stream from your computer. If a comprehensive app is important, go with the Resound Forte. However, from experience, things like apps seem gimmicky after awhile and the thing that’s really important is being able to understand speech.

2 Likes

About sounds that are new, crumpling paper, clanking dishes, etc., I totally understand that and it is something that we all go through when getting hearing aids for the first time, or even when we get new hearing aids when our old ones were not effective. I know it is strange but your brain will learn to turn those sounds down internally, within a few weeks. If you want to turn them down your pro can do that, but I would encourage you to be sparing with that and have a plan to get back up to target, like turn down 10% and turn back up 2% a week for 5 weeks.

It will take some time to get used to the new sounds and you may find the sound to be much better in a few months. If you were missing the high sounds, and were used to that, and you add the high sounds, it is going to sound tinny until you get used to it.

I know what I’m saying is hard to believe, but it will sound so much better when your brain has time to adjust. If you can wear them all day, every day, for 2 months, you will be very surprised.

I wouldn’t be underwhelmed with Phonak as a company because they don’t appear to have customer relations. You have to understand that this is not like a high street store where you expect some nice and warm customer experience. For years, they were not even allowed to advertise and their communications with direct customers is limited even now.

Yes, they have dropped the ball here, because there is no direct streaming of music, and the phone only streams to one ear. Frankly, for this reason, I wouldn’t touch this hearing aid with a barge pole, as it is clearly aimed at the iPhone/smartphone generation. I’ve been wearing hearing aids for 40 years and am really unimpressed by what they have done here. I am waiting for the next release or will go to OPN.

But half of your problems are down to the initial bad fit - and you can’t blame Phonak for that. It’s just adjustments that were needed.

I have to laugh slightly, because I can tell you that digital hearing aids are light years ahead of what they were 10 to 15 years ago, so I think it just goes to show how expectations are still not being met by some people.

1 Like

Yes, my first. I agree, I expect the quality can be improved upon with adjustments. I’m disappointed about the one-ear phone call and no compatible streaming device. Yes, music is important, I’m a musician and play guitar (which also destroyed my hearing way back).

I need the following features:

1. clear speech
  2. phone call in both ears
  3. connect to PC for Skype conference calls (hear only is fine)
  4. music streaming in hi fidelity like ear buds
  5. audio quality for music - I’m a musician
  6. a quality mobile app

I believe you’re right. However, I must resolve connectivity issues to PC and 2-ear phone calls. This particular product will not work for me. The next product I get will have to be better fitted and adjusted. I’m a little disappointed with the sound quality the dispenser left me with for my first week ever.

1 Like

If the Brio 3 RC can’t use the Com Pilot II that is a severe drawback. You really need to be able to use the bluetooth device to get all the benefits. I use the KS8 and the Smart Mic, and connect my cell phone, office phone, laptops for videos and music, tablets, and one generic Bluetooth transmitter, for the porch TV. I also have the Rexton TV transmitter and besides normal TV watching, I also listen to SiriusXM music channels, and man, I am enjoying music more now than I have in many years.

For Skype/PC, you should be able to use Bluetooth. Bit confused why that doesn’t work - or is it only to one ear? If it’s only 1 ear, then I’m glad I never considered this hearing aid - as that is really poor.

It sounds like you need the Brio 3-R (rechargeable) but not direct connectivity model. I might have the model wrong, but there are basically 2 new Phonak Audeo B hearing aids - one is rechargeable where you will use the Compilot II accessory, and the other is direct.

But I guess it sounds like you want to try other brands. In which case the Kirkland, Bernafon Zerena 9, or Resound Linx 3d might be good options.

1 Like

Agree, when I first got my aids the water running in the sink sounded like Niagra falls. Now I don’t even notice it.

1 Like

4 and 5 could be challenging. If 2 is a dealbreaker, and you want to be able to stream directlly, yeah take them back. Music is tough. You’ll definitely want a special program for music, but I’m doubtful about “hi fidelity.” Many are happier just using headphones or earbuds for their music.

1 Like

That’s the kind of device I want.

I haven’t researched the Resounds, but I will - Thanks!

1 Like

Headphones is another issue. I record music and need to wear headphones when recording a vocal track, guitar, or bass. Right now, I have to take the HA’s off when wearing headphones due to feedback. Should that be something that can be adjusted? I feel like I’m wearing hot mics on my ears right now. Literally, the air is sizzling.

1 Like

I like mine but they all have that. Resound probably has a better Bluetooth device, the Phone Clip+, because it can connect to two devices at one time.

Headphones over hearing aids, unless you’ve got custom molds, and/or are very judicious with the volume is kind of a recipe for feedback. You haven’t posted your audiogram, so can’t really tell if custom molds would be appropriate. Is your loss primarily at high frequencies and your lower frequency hearing is near normal? If so, I’d guess you’d be happiest wearing headphones without hearing aids. Costco’s version of the Resound is the Resound Forte.

1 Like

What HA apps have you used? The “Speech clarity” button on certain programs on the ReSound Smart 3D app is a useful gimmick, no, feature that helps me understand speech better in some conditions. Like, if I know I’m walking into a noisy place, I use that button to boost 2-4 KHz sounds (at the cost of some extra background noise) which makes speech easier to understand, while still staying in the All-Around program with its omnidirectionality. When I no longer need it, I turn it off and get rid of the extra noise.

1 Like

Correct. The audi called it “military hearing damage”; it 's normal at low freq the drops off like a cliff at midrange